[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

The main idea is that the general layout will be the same (4 rocky planets, 4 gas giants with moons), but the appearance and content of all these planets is up in the air.

So.... The plan is to have the terrain engine be able to support them by 0.17? I thought it needed an overhaul to support gaseous planets. Or will you leave out the gas ones for now?

Also, any word on EVA control revisions? (proper rotation and the like) I keep saying about it but I\'ve had no official response yet....

The main idea is that the general layout will be the same (4 rocky planets, 4 gas giants with moons), but the appearance and content of all these planets is up in the air.

I don\'t mind the layout but I sincerely hope the 4th planet isn\'t a little red Mars like ball but I did see you mention a desert planet in the other thread, it be cool to have a Tatooine like planet ( minus the binary stars obviously).

I don\'t mind the layout but I sincerely hope the 4th planet isn\'t a little red Mars like ball but I did see you mention a desert planet in the other thread, it be cool to have a Tatooine like planet ( minus the binary stars obviously).

I believe I\'ve made our 'mars analogue' very unique, instead of just a carbon copy of it. It has a very large moon, like pluto, and they are tidally locked to each other. It\'s quite intimidating seeing that giant thing in the sky.

I believe I\'ve made our 'mars analogue' very unique, instead of just a carbon copy of it. It has a very large moon, like pluto, and they are tidally locked to each other. It\'s quite intimidating seeing that giant thing in the sky.

Oh my! We\'ll need to build a space elevator! :D

That is just awesome. You rock.

Nova has said there is already a gas planet:

Just a note, we\'ve not decided on names just yet. Right now it\'s just 'Desert planet', 'Gas planet', though this will change before release.

Am I the only one who\'s almost more excited for making custom scenarios than for new planets? Imagine this:

Your rocket, planned for simply orbiting around Murz, has spun out of control and left you low on fuel and hurtling towards the surface of Murz with no parachute, no landing gear, and not enough fuel to land. A rescue ship is on its way, but it\'ll never make it in time to save you before you crash into the rocky surface. Your only option is to quickly maneuver into an orbit out of Murz\'s atmosphere and await rescue...

And then, if you manage to get into a stable orbit, you take control of the rescue ship:

You\'re the commander of the first-ever Murz rescue mission. The ship you\'re meant to save is in a highly elliptical orbit (Of course, this would change depending on how you performed in the first scenario), and it\'s up to you to maneuver over to it using limited RCS fuel and hold your ship in the same area by any means for long enough to EVA the crew over. If you succeed, you still have the difficult task of returning back to Kerbin ahead of you, with limited fuel and a boatload of desperate Kerbals. Will you make it?

Of course, this would only be awesome if we could create scenarios ourselves and then upload them for other people to download. If it\'s just a few prebuilt scenarios (Get to the Mun, get into orbit, get to Minmus, go to Murz) it\'ll be boring.

Also, on an unrelated note, one thing I\'d like to see is a little red or gold marker on the screen that shows where a planet you can see is, and how far away it is (Like with other ships when you pass near them, they have a little purple marker and you can hover the mouse over it to see the distance). It would help with Minmus missions, or anything that involves going somewhere that might just look like a speck of light on the far horizon.

Do you think it\'s possible to have an asteroid belt added?

Do you think it\'s possible to have an asteroid belt added?

I would like to see one I read on an old post that it will really be very demanding on a system with the game engine. So somone said how about random comets that come and go though the system. A asteroid belt would be cool it could a sweet obstacle to negotiate while tryign to get to another body, and then you could mine the asteroids in the campaign mode. fingers crossed

I for one carnt wait for docking if it does come in 1.7 its the stuff the mod community make that will be the icing on the cake.

New planets will and forever will be cool, but I must ask how are we going to get to them and return in a single rocket? I know some people will figure out an extremely efficient design to accomplish this, but can we expect a super efficient engine in the interplanetary void to make this manuever a bit easier?

Guest butt head

lets not forget guys mars has a VERY thin atmosphere as the scientist said about the rovers landing that there was only so much atmosphere that they had to make shore that it didnt rip apart there crafts but not to land on parachutes with and so i did some googlen research and found that mars has an atmosphere that is .7% as thick as earths and so if they keep it like that in ksp then you max velocity would be ~1400m/s and thats when you are in the lowest part of the atmosphere thats with out parachutes with them should slow to ?~120m/s so if you use parachutes then you would need to cut then away and do like the scientist did with there rovers and have a rocket stage to do the rest

morz.png

Although the filename of that image definitely suggests something, I can\'t help but be wary of a trick. What if that\'s a sun? We might get a physical representation of the... well, sprite we\'ve had so far.

Ah, the speculation intensifies.