Getting Bluetooth transciever to run on its own

Branjoman

Hello guys, I am currently doing a project for resistant materials GCSE, and one of the things I want my product to do is to be able to play music via Bluetooth, I have a speaker, and I bought the HC-05 RS232 TTL 30ft Wireless bluetooth RF Transceiver. However, all the documentation I have found to get it running says that it needs to be hooked up to a separate microcontroller, and I don't really want to go through the hassle of buying and using an arduino. So:

• Is it possible to make this particular Bluetooth transciever run on its own?
  • If not, can anyone point me to a transciever that can run on its own?

The HC-05 is a serial module. It can work on its own, but all it can do is send and receive serial data. It does not support the bluetooth profiles for streaming audio, and it doesn't have a DSP to convert the signal to to audio.

I've never tried it, but it looks like you'll be able to use an RN-52 module as a standalone audio receiver. Check out SparkFun's documentation for their RN-52 breakout board for an example.

i cant wait till esp32s start rolling out. i mean you can get them now for absurd prices, but as manufacturing picks up it will be another $6 module. ive done some stuff with the esp8366 and its a fun little module (though its purely wifi and doesn't also have bluetooth like the esp32). both of these supposedly can run their own code and wont need a separate dev board. most other modules ive seen are just the radio and nothing else.

does it have to be bluetooth? the cool thing about wifi is you just need to get it on your local network and access it with some pretty straight forward net code. and in this case the 8266 might be the preferred option (just get one of the ones that have more io). they are also extremely cheap. catch is wifi doesnt have a multimedia stack like usb and bluetooth do, so you will need to write some code pc side to talk to the device and access the audio routines on the system (this is easy on linux and harder on windows because it requires a bloated sdk from ms, where as on linux everything you need to make drivers comes with the system).

Edited by Nuke

On 2/20/2017 at 3:41 PM, stibbons said:

The HC-05 is a serial module. It can work on its own, but all it can do is send and receive serial data. It does not support the bluetooth profiles for streaming audio, and it doesn't have a DSP to convert the signal to to audio.

I've never tried it, but it looks like you'll be able to use an RN-52 module as a standalone audio receiver. Check out SparkFun's documentation for their RN-52 breakout board for an example.

you dont need a dsp, you might find them in higher end audio equipment, but you dont need it for a basic audio device. what you do need is a dac, to convert binary to analog. a ladder dac is good enough and just takes resistors. if want more than 8 bits (or how many spare gpios you have) you are better off with a dedicated dac ic. double all that up if you want it to be stereo. you are probibly also going to need some amplification too. when i was working on my pi tablet i was able to get a class d stereo amplifier board off ebay for less than 5$.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.