Has anyone figured out an elegant way to carry a rover to the surface of another planet?

1 minute ago, nascarlaser1 said:

If your willing to use mods, you can use the Hanger or KAS/KIS mods.

KAS/KIS lets you build and then disassemble your rover onsite, allowing to just have to carry the individual parts inside a container (which can fit onto a regular lander).

Hanger gives you different sized hangers that let you pack your rover inside of them, then spawn them where ever you are, and then pack them back up again. This also saves on part numbers because the rover inside the hanger isn't actually loaded into the game until you tell it to.

I used a lot of mods but I found KAS/KIS overwhelming, just didn't have the mind to dig into these two mods. I did try a mod that allowed you to pack stuff into crates, don't recall the name, but it was somewhat convoluted as well.

Just now, Kerbital said:

I used a lot of mods but I found KAS/KIS overwhelming, just didn't have the mind to dig into these two mods. I did try a mod that allowed you to pack stuff into crates, don't recall the name, but it was somewhat convoluted as well.

yup srry just edited my above response. I didn't bother reading before I typed lol.

• 9 months later...

Using Feline Rover mods and a lot of others (near the future, heat control,  rover science, blue tie space science, magic orbital science,...). Just retract a little the wheels of the rover to match the bay and to assure best stability some RCS on the side.

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ecpww6tngacsiy/AAA-dUxP-ONypt6kYp8t9bqqa?dl=0

1 hour ago, LopoMetello said:

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ecpww6tngacsiy/AAA-dUxP-ONypt6kYp8t9bqqa?dl=0

Instead of linking to a download, which a lot of people are wary of going to blindly from a newer member, could you upload it to something like imgur?  I'd love to see the design. 

This is a prototype which did its first trial to Mune.... some modifications to the next rover will be useful otherwise the concept works, land, open the bay, undock the rover, explore and do science while the main vessel transform the ore from mining in fuel, dock the rover, ... Next mission, explore a canyon with a mini-probe and go to Minmus.

You have the classic "slap it on the side and counterweight it" method, but I wouldn't exactly call that "elegant".

1CB884543793F1B6B256F5FF253FCDD83D198CD8

There is also the "inside a storage container at the bottom of a lander" approach.  Fairly elegant.

197C54B7D4E8A631F8DE2AD4A5C766CC798B6B9E

0C466F07DD3F267DF8A6EA1919A6760E986BB0E2

There is the skycrane approach.  Here we see an overfueled transfer stage able to make the actual landing, and the skycrane used for a simple hop off the already landed transfer stage.  Somewhat elegant.

DF8211EB21C7ADADADC57215E8099E9E61C7873B

0069E66A459C2E9E65BF9EFBC1907F7EFD4B39AE

Lastly, and perhaps least elegant we have the "Oodles of Parachutes" technique after deploying from an entry aeroshell.  Very Kerbal, not very elegant.

DCCFD8A08153C241B8D983FC5A4B8CE08ADF0CD0

5E1A5DBDE945429AC0413EB3F71C2A13EBAC18B7

As a noob I've been struggling with this too. I finally came up with something simple I'm happy with. The asymmetrical landing gear pitches it forward on touchdown and then the stack decoupler to get rid of it. The little tank wasn't enough to land on Minmus so I had to xfer mid-landing. I'll could leave it off completely but then need another solution if the station part is not a fuel tank.

Side note: Driving on Minmus kind of sucks. Can't stop or turn without weird stuff happening, but then you can right a vehicle with just the reaction wheel.

bC627U5.png

wOEVajB.png

Edited by CrashyMcCrashFace

For my rovers, I've always like the idea of having to put it together on-route. The packrat from USI was always fun and it inspired me to design my own.

Here is my compact method of carrying my rover.

W2J9YLWh.png

Here is the constructed rover during field testing. The docking ports acted as awesome suspension with the flex they have.

DtqOVSXh.png

32 minutes ago, ARS said:

Did I see a tree on that? What mod is that?

Haha, yes you did.  If I recall there are a few sizes; the radial attachable one that you saw above, also seen here with a 2nd on the science lab.

E120F57D6848E7170B1CADFC19BD1C31E6344972

And a larger, 2.5m variant that obviously supplies more, seen here in an orbital farming environment:

AB64DBE0088F64EFCA430FDCECF68A96B30E497F

If I remember correctly, it is from the USI Life Support mod.

Edit:  and to make this post appropriate to the thread's general topic, I landed that fuel truck you see in the background of the 1st pic above with a skycrane.  It is used to ferry ISRU fuel from the nearby mining and conversion ships to any vessels that have landed at the base and need to refuel to get back to orbit.

FB711567EDE6354254C20AF23889D07E56372D5E

Edited by klesh

Lazy man's method again. Very un-Kerbal. The COM of the rover is aligned with the engine so the thing lands like a normal lander. Then I just turned it horizontal with reaction wheels.

screenshot27.png

screenshot29.png

screenshot30.png

This the the laziest part. The rover is connected to the rocket through the cubic strut and then de-coupler (the red part), which aligns with the COM of the rover. I only need to do this once and for all. Then I save the whole thing as sub-assembly and I just need to plug into the central node of whatever transfer stage I need.

screenshot23.png

• 1 month later...

Stick it on a cargo fairing. Turn said fairing upside down and use structural bits to attach it to some 2x2 structural panels, which are attached to the rest of your rocket. Add an upside-down landing mechanism on the top of the fairing, sort of like a skycrane minus the "crane" bit. Touch the ground, deploy the fairing and the decoupler attaching the rover to it. Profit.

2qB5xmw.png

Everything  to  the  right  of  the  SRB  went  up  in  one  launch, docked  with  the  station, jettisoned  the  orange  tank, then  the  skycrane(the  part  with  the  four  engines) decoupler, brought  the  rovers  to  the  construction  site  and  dropped  em  off, then  flew  back  to  the  station  to  grab  the  science  bay.

I  love  my  skycrane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.