Competing Space Agencies

I've been thinking for awhile about competing space agencies. Not multi-player, but rather NPC's. Contracts to put this satellite or that space station in orbit of whichever planet before another agency does. If they do it first, the satellite or station would actually be there around the planet or moon. They would gain rep and you'd lose it.

If you needed to use their satellite, you'd have to pay them to relay your signal. For stations, you'd have to pay for docking, plus fuel or whatever else you need (at a markup, of course). You'd also lose rep for needing help from a competitor.

With an International Space Agency, as well. That would open up a lot of new contracts. "Donate this or that module to the International Space Station" to gain rep, or "Have this Kerbal join the ISA for a certain period". You would lose control of the module or Kerbal once docked (the Kerbal you'd get back after his tour was up). You could buy fuel and whatever else at the ISS at cost, and maybe enough rep with ISA opens up new parts? For the Kerbals, maybe they learn new abilities while on board the ISS? A pilot can choose to focus on science or engineering during his stay. A five star pilot now has the abilities of a three star scientist or engineer. The other professions could do the same.

Maybe with your help the ISA discovers new planets or a new solar system close enough to visit? Who knows? I don't even know if it's doable (I'm not a programmer), but I'd really like to see it.

4 hours ago, CaptainTrebor said:

I'd like to see this, as the closest we have to this now is Kerbals floating around in crew modules for rescue missions.

Exactly. All you ever see are Kerbals in orbit clinging to pieces of debris. I even rescued one on Gilly. She was just standing on the surface. How'd she end up in the middle of nowhere?

I think it'd be cool to see other agencies sats, stations, and ships. Just to see what they'd look like. And the fact that you don't control them. And I really like the idea of new plants/moons having to be discovered through a certain amount of science. Maybe even a comet you could rendezvous with?

Like I said, I don't know where else they could go with it, but I'd really like to see it implemented in some fashion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.