_Augustus_

TRAPPIST-1 now has seven planets. (Possible life?)

235 posts in this topic

So, we finally got it nailed?

Could the uncertainty be caused by a further out planet?

1 person likes this

On 5/22/2017 at 11:57 AM, Spaceception said:

So, we finally got it nailed?

Could the uncertainty be caused by a further out planet?

I've refrained from mentioning this for a few months now, but back in February the guys over at Planet Hunters/Exoplanet Explorers found a possible candidate orbiting about every 34 days.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I've refrained from mentioning this for a few months now, but back in February the guys over at Planet Hunters/Exoplanet Explorers found a possible candidate orbiting about every 34 days.

Ooooh, what's the possible size? And how many transits were seen?

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Ooooh, what's the possible size? And how many transits were seen?

I really don't know much about it. I'll have to do some digging in the old PH chat.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have ran the whole simulation in SpaceEngine. From TRAPPIST-1d, the planets 1b, 1c, and 1e would all reach a size close to that of our Moon in the sky. Even 1f and 1g would reach sizes of at least 10 arcminutes at the closest, which would be enough to see a tiny bit of detail with the naked eye. 1h and ProtoJeb's 8th planet would be recognizable as non-stellar objects.

Thus, I any inhabitants would have a proper understanding of their solar system in even prehistoric times. Interesting.

Edited by _Augustus_
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I am confident that Traptolemaios finds away to construct his own planet in the centre and the others spiralling about. What must not be, cannot be :-)

A little OT but interesting: Here is about a planet very close to an A/B star. The planet has a dayside temperature of >4000K. Will completely dissolve loose significant amount of mass over time in the hard radiation. How do these things form in the first place ? We are just at the beginning of understanding solar systems ...

Edited by Green Baron
don't boast, gb
2 people like this

24 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

I am confident that Traptolemaios finds away to construct his own planet in the centre and the others spiralling about. What must not be, cannot be :-)

A little OT but interesting: Here is about a planet very close to an A/B star. The planet has a dayside temperature of >4000K. Will completely dissolve loose significant amount of mass over time in the hard radiation. How do these things form in the first place ? We are just at the beginning of understanding solar systems ...

If ProtoJeb's planet "i" with the ~32 day period exists, it could be far/big enough to have moons, which could immediately disprove a planetocentric system.

That melting planet was probably thrown there by a gravitational interaction.

2 people like this