The science behind Laythe!

cratercracker

Laythe is the closest moon to Jool in terms of distance. It is also the most visited one.

We know that laythe is an ocean world filled with water. It is spread all over the surface with a little exceptions like islands and small volcanoes. Such surface tells us about laythe internal structure.

But how did islands formed on surface of Laythe?

1E2MOgL.png

(surface of laythe before volcanism stopped, not to scale)

For now, sadly volcanism on Laythe stopped, but we still can see the results.

And back to oceans!

But how did surface ocean appeared on such a distant world? For example Ice caps on Duna appear to be made of water ice, while Duna is way closer to Sun than Layhte is.

It appeared because of heat coming from mantel that is heated up by core. It simply doesn’t let water turn into ice. Making contrast of temperature on surface and underwater.

Heat from the iron core would be powered by tidal friction. Tidal friction itself may cause volcanism, in our case underwater volcanism. Perhaps if there wasn’t any volcanism ,islands wouldn’t form and there would be absolutely no solid surface to walk on (except the bottom of the ocean).

Oxygen in the atmosphere could appear from vapor of water that interacted with lava from volcanoes. Though it still could be gas that came with the planet itself.

So as a result of heat coming though core all ice melt and kept it from to our days.

Island formation-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMtuTfAqAb

HDxnkfV.png

I hope it was at least a bit infromative!

And still, it is just a theory. If you know more or find an error in my theory try to write down in the comments about the issue!

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

... And still, it is just a theory. If you know more or find an error in my theory try to write down in the comments about the issue!

I'm kicking myself for forgetting where I saw it, but I once heard the devs were originally intending to make Laythe a volcano infested terror planet. Hm... the only problem is if there's volcanoes around we might expect them to form in rings around tectonic plates, or have tell-tale craters in the middle of their land masses..... Hey wait a minute!

Laythe_Biome_Map_1_2.png
(Biome image from KSP wiki)

@Mikki That is a cool looking lander!

14 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Heat from the iron core would be powered by tidal friction. Tidal friction itself may cause volcanism, in our case underwater volcanism. Perhaps if there wasn’t any volcanism ,islands wouldn’t form and there would be absolutely no solid surface to walk on (except the bottom of the ocean).

No offense... but if you used the search function a bit, you'd see that your post is just telling people what is already well known

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

No offense... but if you used the search function a bit, you'd see that your post is just telling people what is already well known

This doesn't give any information and of course i know that people are not so stupid ,but the aim was different! I wanted to tell that laythe was a volcanic world years ago! And it is just a frickin theory about that! I didn/t even tried to tell something god damn new! I wanted to tell about my theory!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.