What seemingly basic thing have you never done in KSP

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

On 3/9/2017 at 1:57 AM, KerikBalm said:

*Edit* ah I get it, its a mockery of space plane. Yes, space planes are OPd, and were extremely OP pre-1.0 when Isp could reach 40,000 and one could airhog all the way to orbit

It wasn't so much the OP'd aspect as it was people being smug about exploiting airhogging mechanics and such. I recall when the RAPIER was released some moaned about how much easier it would be to build an actual spaceplane. Early spaceplanes were basically how many intakes you could clip into each other. Nowadays we have what I would consider "OP Spaceplanes" rather than "SPEISPLAINS"; I respect them more.

Yea, there was nothing to be smug about getting to laythe and back in an SSTO in those days - you could airhog to orbit, Isps were higher for LFO engines, and LV-Ns had better TWR. One could directly aerocapture at laythe with no heating, and airhog back to orbit (and again do a direct aerobrake and land back at kerbin).

Even back then... I didn't want to part clip intakes... but I should have... I made some really really ugly craft:

1781709_10102522555220943_38363739_o.jpg

It wouldn't airhog all the way to orbit, but spamming even more radial intakes made it too ugly even for my tastes back then

It took me longer than it should have to recognize speisplain... I lived in a German speaking area for a couple years... speis is the german word for food, and is pronounced more like "spice"... it was so similar to "speiseplan" that I thought it was an actual word with a meaning I didn't know, vs another phonetic spelling of spaceplane.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, a working SSTO spaceplane is anything but basic. SSTO rockets are simple though. In fact "can I get to orbit on a single stage?" was a question I asked myself way back in the demo. The answer was "Yes, just" and the next question was "How do you rescue a Kerbal from LKO?" :D

7 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Oh, and I DO have OPM installed.

I've had it installed since it was first released. Finally sent probes 'out there' just this winter. Always felt like just knowing those planets were there was incentive to dream of future voyages. So what now? A massive manned mission - one day.

1 hour ago, Red Shirt said:

I've had it installed since it was first released. Finally sent probes 'out there' just this winter. Always felt like just knowing those planets were there was incentive to dream of future voyages. So what now? A massive manned mission - one day.

you might wanna use Extraplanetary launchpads, mainly so you dont have to send station parts out to it.

3 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Yup, that's my mindset. I plan to launch a series of probes before I do Kerbaled missions... That's the way I'm doing it for Duna and Eve... heck, I did it that way for Minimus and the Mun as well.

2 hours ago, DarknessHasLost said:

you might wanna use Extraplanetary launchpads, mainly so you dont have to send station parts out to it.

Naw, going to pass. I already have a bunch of mods. Besides, I l enjoy the idea of putting a sort of "Deep Space 9" out in orbit of Kerbol out in orbit beyond Jool for those deep space missions. It would also add another dynamic of play just to have larger space craft to refuel and resupply such a base or to even do deep space rendezvous with the research vessels I put into orbit. Even though I am playing in Sand Box mode, I do enjoy setting some real goals and trying to overcome the challenges of making those goals happen. If you'd like, I'll share those long term (and moderate term) goals I already have...

14 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yup, that's my mindset. I plan to launch a series of probes before I do Kerbaled missions... That's the way I'm doing it for Duna and Eve... heck, I did it that way for Minimus and the Mun as well.

Naw, going to pass. I already have a bunch of mods. Besides, I l enjoy the idea of putting a sort of "Deep Space 9" out in orbit of Kerbol out in orbit beyond Jool for those deep space missions. It would also add another dynamic of play just to have larger space craft to refuel and resupply such a base or to even do deep space rendezvous with the research vessels I put into orbit. Even though I am playing in Sand Box mode, I do enjoy setting some real goals and trying to overcome the challenges of making those goals happen. If you'd like, I'll share those long term (and moderate term) goals I already have...

Once i get my game running i might

2 hours ago, CaptainTrebor said:

Never returned from the Mun. Ships always fall over, run out of fuel, crash and so on. Minmus is much better.

Don't give up. Keep trying!

• Pick a flat landing site if your lander always tips over.
  • Build a launcher with more fuel. If you add to the lander, your launcher has to carry more, decreasing its performance and you it's possible you fall even shorter.
  • Unless you're good at suicide burns, try and keep your speed under 60m/s or so. The further you go down, the slower you go. The landing legs can survive ~20m/s (not recommended though)

I had the same issues, trust me. I think everyone had those problems when they started. Mun landings are routine for me now.

Edited by Delay

It must be leaving Kerbin SOI...

As I love career mode and hate unefficient large time warps, and as I tend to start a fresh career at every large update, I never put enough hours to reach optimal launch window (around 235 days IIRC), nevermind reaching any planet. 

Anyway, this time must be the chosen one! Ground base might be next on my ksp bucket list, but by the time I am done with my settlement I might have develop a decent interplanetry ship. One still can hope :wink:

On 23/2/2017 at 6:32 PM, Red Shirt said:

Tylo was actually easier than I imagined - as long as you have the dv for the job - it only took I think 3 tries to get the hang of it. Afterwards I could land within a few meters of the same spot each time. Laythe is a different story. It hates me, which is fine because there is nothing to be found on Laythe but water, sand dunes, and wrecked dreams.

Never gone there either, but I thought landing on Laythe wouldn't be that much harder than building a small plane (or space plane if you want to return), then taking it to Laythe and landing it? After all  air breathing engines work on Laythe so finding a landing spot just requires to fly for a while I guess

On 25/2/2017 at 11:09 AM, Thrawn889 said:

Built a Surface base anywhere.

Same here. Tried to build a Mun base, but a rough landing made it most of it explode. (surprisingly, all Kerbals survived). Currently on my 2nd attempt (this time on MInmus)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.