Unliscensed Mods Usage

dhshxaoashjo

Hi, I was trying to find a weapon mod pack for 1.2.2 but I came across this poorly licensed mod. Can I use it? Like will I get banned on ksp if I use it?

This is the mod thread I was talking about.

Edited by dhshxaoashjo

11 hours ago, dhshxaoashjo said:

So basically i can download what ever mods but the license is the creator's problem

Just as long as you don't redistribute the improperly-licensed mods yourself, you should be okay, but ideally you should try to replace it with a properly licensed version as soon as possible.

Of course, the other concern with a poorly licensed mod is wondering what else the author might have screwed up -- or whether there might even be a security risk to your computer.  As I understand it, Squad is very, very generous with licensing for mods -- so if someone just can't be bothered to go through the process, you have to wonder whether it's plain, ordinary incompetence (which is, after all, a very Kerbal quality) or malicious intent.

Not saying anything specific to that mod, mind you -- just that KSP mods (in my deeply UNinformed opinion) seems as if they could embed "arbitrary code" on your system, which is the usual definition of "payload" in the software security world.

1 hour ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Not saying anything specific to that mod, mind you -- just that KSP mods (in my deeply UNinformed opinion) seems as if they could embed "arbitrary code" on your system, which is the usual definition of "payload" in the software security world.

Which is precisely the reason that all mods on the forum require source code to be available for inspection, but yeah, I agree with your overall point.

As long as you don't distribute mods that you didn't make and claim them as your own, you're pretty much safe. Simply put, don't make a modpack for others to download. That's a big no no.

There is no banning in KSP, because there is no (official) multiplayer. If you have the DMP multiplayer mod though, there may be some servers that won't let you join them if you have a mod on their blacklist.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.