KSP Weekly: The discovery of the Kerbol... I mean TRAPPIST-1 system

SQUAD

Squad appears to still be putting effort into KSP, so I don't really see why it matters if this is "1.2.whatever" or "1.3" or "1.4".  They can give it a version number like "George" or "Larry" for all I care.*

Hyping secret things and not announcing a plan are nothing new from Squad.  At least we're not having to hunt across five different sites to get the information they release anymore.

57 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Or is it time to move to a monthly update?

If they did that, they'd be dealing with a backlash of people complaining about even less information.

*For Jeb's sake, will someone from Squad mention some sort of version number?!?

37 minutes ago, razark said:

If they did that, they'd be dealing with a backlash of people complaining about even less information.

Its just that that excuse is getting SO old.

Edited by p1t1o

4 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Its just that that excuse is getting SO old.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Inertia determines that, lacking a compelling reason, it's easier for them to keep doing what they've been doing.

20 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Of course not. It wouldn't pay out until everybody involved was dead.

I'll offer to hold on to the money until payout time.

30 minutes ago, razark said:

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Inertia determines that, lacking a compelling reason, it's easier for them to keep doing what they've been doing.

This is what confuses me though - the excuse is getting old, and it is still trotted out, but if that is their policy (which is understandable) then why do ultra-often weekly updates or things like "BIG announcement coming!!!"

Edited by p1t1o

3 hours ago, razark said:

lacking a compelling reason

How about development slowing down and not having as much to say?  Seems like a good and honest answer if it's true.  As it is, the current situation seems to be doing little good for the game or the community.

Unless you like blatantly obvious marketing techniques.  Then it's probably a blast.

On 2/25/2017 at 1:01 AM, SQUAD said:

March 2nd at 16:00 EST. So stay tuned!

What's EST? Estimated? Ethiopian Standard Time? Australian, Eastern Standard Time? No idea. Honestly, if it isn't an estimated time, why do people refer to some arbitrary time zone, rather than today's standard of timekeeping - the UTC? I mean, obviously they cannot refer to US Eastern Standard Time, since it was 4pm EST in that case.

I mean, @Squad basically implies, I could read their minds - which isn't the case. And even if I did assume what they meant by EST, it was - by no means - unambiguous, as I just prove. Are you seriously expecting me too look up the UTC offset of EST? If it isn't clear, when to attend a press release, or whatever it's going to be, then it probably isn't worth waiting for it.

1 hour ago, something said:

What's EST? Estimated? Ethiopian Standard Time? Australian, Eastern Standard Time? No idea. Honestly, if it isn't an estimated time, why do people refer to some arbitrary time zone, rather than today's standard of timekeeping - the UTC? I mean, obviously they cannot refer to US Eastern Standard Time, since it was 4pm EST in that case.

I mean, @Squad basically implies, I could read their minds - which isn't the case. And even if I did assume what they meant by EST, it was - by no means - unambiguous, as I just prove. Are you seriously expecting me too look up the UTC offset of EST? If it isn't clear, when to attend a press release, or whatever it's going to be, then it probably isn't worth waiting for it.

Okay.  Wasn't expecting that.

Obviously eastern standard time.

1 hour ago, something said:

What's EST? Estimated? Ethiopian Standard Time? Australian, Eastern Standard Time? No idea. [snip]

EST.jpg

Seems clear to me that it's referring to Erhard Seminars training. Why would anyone think otherwise? ;).

That's incorrect. EST is obviously UTC+10.

(I was mildly dismayed when a company that has a pretty good track record of announcing times in a universally understood format slipped and used a region-specific one, too. But it is what it is.) 

Edited by stibbons

On 2/26/2017 at 9:38 AM, brusura said:

Important announcement? Talking about exoplanet...I see kerbal having more than one system...yeah ^^

That would also mean a super massive black hole in the centre where both kerbol and "star x" spin around.

While I'd like to see this happen, I highly doubt it. Luckily I have better time warp installed, just in case 1.3 brings exo's :)

1 hour ago, stibbons said:

(I was mildly dismayed when a company that has a pretty good track record of announcing times in a universally understood format slipped and used a region-specific one, too. But it is what it is.) 

I'm actually surprised they didn't show it as PST since that's the time zone they've typically used in addition to UTC.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:52 AM, John FX said:

The most interesting thing from this weekly is the first usage by Squad of Kerbol to refer to the Kerbal solar system...

Actually Sun is referred to Kerbol several times in-game, in contracts. Though I think this has more to do with the contracts being written by RoverDude and QA'd by the community than any intentional addition by Squad themselves.

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually Sun is referred to Kerbol several times in-game, in contracts. Though I think this has more to do with the contracts being written by RoverDude and QA'd by the community than any intentional addition by Squad themselves.

Can we get a petition going to officially rename the sun in game as "Kerbol?"

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Sometimes all it takes for something to become canon is for it to not be blocked. Sometimes the lack of action can itself be seen as an action. Like the lack of mention of 1.3 for example. Cant wait to be wrong on that. Please let me be wrong.

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

RoverDude has never worked extensively on contracts to my knowledge, you might be thinking of my prior work. As far as I'm aware the word "Kerbol" is not and has never been in the game anywhere. If you see it, grab a screenshot and report it on the bug tracker. For the most part, it is referred to as "the Sun". The words "keliosynchronous" and "keliostationary" are in the game, however, so you might be thinking of those. You can find them in Contracts.cfg, and can modify them there if K-Syndrome is bothering you.

Edited by Arsonide

55 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Same for destructible buildings. I don't remember if it was being overhyped or not, but it sure wasn't needed.

It wasn't hyped. It was a side effect though of the introduction of upgradeable buildings which was hyped quite strongly. I won't say it was overhyped as it's a pretty big part of career.

19 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

RoverDude has never worked extensively on contracts to my knowledge, you might be thinking of my prior work. As far as I'm aware the word "Kerbol" is not and has never been in the game anywhere. If you see it, grab a screenshot and report it on the bug tracker. For the most part, it is referred to as "the Sun". The words "keliosynchronous" and "keliostationary" are in the game, however, so you might be thinking of those. You can find them in Contracts.cfg, and can modify them there if K-Syndrome is bothering you.

I may. I forget who did what sometimes.

I have no proof but I swear I've seen something along the lines of "rescue JimBob Kerman from Kerbol Orbit" or something along those lines. My brain can be quite skewed from reality sometimes though and for all I know it may have been a contract pack.

And it's not K-syndrome so much as just hating that particular word. I can't even articulate WHY. It just sounds really dumb to me.

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

And it's not K-syndrome so much as just hating that particular word. I can't even articulate WHY. It just sounds really dumb to me.

Also, I just want to voice my opinion that I'm not a fan of the name Kerbol for Kerbin's star, either. I think I dislike it for its similarity to the word Kerbal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.