SSTO Control Issues

Sofomav

So I have built a Mk3 Cargo SSTO in order to go Duna. I can easily put the thing into Kerbin orbit and set up the maneuver to get a Duna encounter but the SAS system seems unable to keep the craft on the maneuver node when Im using the NERV engines. The only thing I can do is have the RCS on but I dont have enough of it for all the burns. The craft is very stable in the atmosphere and when re-entering.

The NERV don't have any thrust vectoring, so they will create some torque when firing if they are slightly off-centre without the ability to compensate for it, causing your ship to rotate.
This is less of a problem in atmosphere because the torque created by off-centre engines is a lot weaker than your aerodynamic surfaces and they are able to compensate for this. But in space, you don't have air to push on so you can only rely on TWC, SAS or RCS.

The above is pretty much a guess though: to be able to determine the exact cause of your problem, a screenshot of your craft would be very helpful. You can upload an image on an image hosting site such as Imgur and simply link it on the forums for us to see it (the forum doesn't support direct file attachements).

And welcome to the fourms!

Edited by Gaarst

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.