Economy Challenge 1.2 (Reboot)

I’m not sure where this fits in the proposed scoring system, but here’s my entry for category 3:

Lifter 2a

Payload Mass: 11.6t

Lifter Total Mass at Takeoff: 32.22t

Lifter Mass Empty: 11.82t

Liquid Fuel: 1500

Oxidizer: 660

Fuel Cost: 1318.8

Cost per Ton: 113.7

Spoiler

xnrzwUQ.png

pWSF2k2.png

Album:

http://imgur.com/a/u4O5p

Powered by 2 RAPIERs and 1 NERV. Just enough Oxidizer to push through the 30-40km, where the NERV can take its time getting to orbit.

Edited by Clancy
embedded album

8 hours ago, Clancy said:

Great Entry

That's so economic! Looks great. I thought it'd be better to have as less engines as possible, due to their mass. Now this one teaches me a lesson!

Also, I couldn't expect Nerv for LKO Lifter. Thanks!

Besides, I'm going to start the new challenge, with the entries given here included. Please take a look on it.

In Category III, I noticed that @NightshineRecorralis had room for a third ore tank in his cargo bay, so I copied his plane from his pictures, and flew it with
  10.5 tonnes payload  /  ( 34460 cost  - 33341 recovery)  = 107 funds/tonne
Maybe I used a bit more wing incidence, and followed prograde all the way up, rolling inverted to slow the climb for the speed-run.  Somebody should break 100/t soon.

A try at a Mk2 RAPIER/Nuke hybrid; works well, but not cheap enough.

I reckon I can get that down to the required efficiency with a touch more tweaking (perhaps just extend the bay a bit; it can take a lot more weight, I'm running out of space).

But, for now, √157/ton.

Question about mods.

I run two major mods,  AJE and FAR.  AJE just adjusts the jet engine performance to a more realistic level.  So no more turbojets to space.   Heck you are lucky to get a jet over mach 2.5 on most jet engines and they wont work much past 15km ASL anyway. 

I am asking because I am interested in making something for this challenge.  I haven't made a decent cargo SSTO in a while, and I used to be REAL good at it.

But this is the beginning of the project I plan on adapting to run this challenge with.  It launches like a rocket and lands like a plane.

8Do2B6m.jpg

Copied from the new economy challenge but sharing here for peoples notifications

So this isn't an official entry, but something people should look into. I built an Air-To-Orbit design to see if it had merit in an economy challenge. I may make a proper documented attempt later if I get bored but initial tests were very interesting

I achieved 4.575 t to 72km Pe on only 1,099 funds of liquid fuel and rocket fuel. The plane portion used 400 units and the rocket uses one of the large 1.25 tanks and one of the smalls. This set up equates to 240 f/t. But to achieve a proper attempt I would need to make a few changes. taking out a small portion of the payload to fit some parachutes or landing legs. This landed at adequate speed, but as I assumed it would never work it I didn't attach legs or chutes to the return rocket. Doing so would drop payload mass approximately 300kg. This changes cost to 258.5 f/t

I used mechjeb to orbit the rocket once it was moving and do my initial deorbit burn and FMRS which does a weird quick save hack to allow you to jump back and land early stages of rockets for recovery (not sure if counts funds in career or just for sake of doing space x styled flights).

In this set up the hardest part of the entire flight is turning the plane around, it is extremely stable if kept in a straight line.

As mentioned not an official entry as I am sure there isn't enough proof that it works. HOWEVER I have attached a craft file for people to play with.
Main reason for sharing was to see if other people can come up with more Air-To-Orbit designs.

craft file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9dyuajr9jlg5ku/strato7.craft?dl=0

Long time no see, Sorry for late reply.

On 2017. 3. 27. at 10:23 PM, Wanderfound said:

Thought I'd test the limits of that ship...

(snip)

7425LF plus 4552.57O equals a fuel bill of 6760. Lifting 62 tons for a score of 109.

Wow! As it's the same ship, I'll update your score!

On 2017. 3. 28. at 9:40 AM, OHara said:

In Category III, I noticed that @NightshineRecorralis had room for a third ore tank in his cargo bay, so I copied his plane from his pictures, and flew it with
  10.5 tonnes payload  /  ( 34460 cost  - 33341 recovery)  = 107 funds/tonne
Maybe I used a bit more wing incidence, and followed prograde all the way up, rolling inverted to slow the climb for the speed-run.  Somebody should break 100/t soon.

(snip)

Did you copied from 'his pictures', and got 107:funds:/t? Great job!

Now this is getting competitive!

On 2017. 3. 28. at 6:25 PM, Wanderfound said:

A try at a Mk2 RAPIER/Nuke hybrid; works well, but not cheap enough.

(snip)

I reckon I can get that down to the required efficiency with a touch more tweaking (perhaps just extend the bay a bit; it can take a lot more weight, I'm running out of space).

But, for now, √157/ton.

Looks like adequate SSTO planes for small landers. I'm looking forward to the improved one!

On 2017. 3. 29. at 6:45 AM, Hodo said:

Question about mods.

I run two major mods,  AJE and FAR.  AJE just adjusts the jet engine performance to a more realistic level.  So no more turbojets to space.   Heck you are lucky to get a jet over mach 2.5 on most jet engines and they wont work much past 15km ASL anyway. 

I am asking because I am interested in making something for this challenge.  I haven't made a decent cargo SSTO in a while, and I used to be REAL good at it.

But this is the beginning of the project I plan on adapting to run this challenge with.  It launches like a rocket and lands like a plane.

(snip)

I'll add a new category for those mods. It looks much harder! (Isn't it challenge to get to orbit there?)

14 hours ago, Avo4Dayz said:

(Air to Orbit!)

I should say that this looks great. It's more practical IRL, too.

Though, I'm not going to allow neither StageRecovery nor FMRS, as they are not balanced with stock, especially with Reusable Rockets. EDIT: Could you get rid of it? If you can, I'll list this as special entry! (Copied from another thread)

Edited by Reusables

3 hours ago, Abastro said:

I should say that this looks great. It's more practical IRL, too.

Though, I'm not going to allow neither StageRecovery nor FMRS, as they are not balanced with stock, especially with Reusable Rockets.

Yeah as stated wasn't a submission but more a tria of theory and something to do. Hoping it inspires others to make something new in attempts of getting cheaper lifts without just refining the same designs using different engines and fuels 

12 hours ago, Wanderfound said:

7985 LF and 5005 O, payload 82.4 tons, fuel bill = 7288.9, score = 88.46/ton

Wow.

That's pretty efficient! 

I might try and scale up the NERV design sometime soon, but 88.46 is gonna be hard to beat.

I'm gonna finish my entry for the Moho Challenge first.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.