[1.3] Far From Kerbin- Simple Temporary Bases - A new way of colonization

linuxgurugamer

A revival of an old mod Far From Kerbin, by @mbalint.  Original thread here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137965-

Features:

• Why would you bring heavy printing materials with you, when there's a lot of things on the surface of the planets? Simply collect some planetary rock-fragment (aka dirt), from the surface with a special vacuum based-electromagnetic-fragment-collector (aka big vacuum cleaner)!
  • Use the collected materials to print building blocks, with the help of the Ulti-Compress-Machine
  • Use the printed blocks to build the base of your dream
  • The blocks can be configured to different modes, like a ware or a bionics module (aka garden)
  • Use the internal walk option to walk around your base
  • Use the STB EVA Backpack to carry resources on an EVA!
  • USI Life Support support! (other ls supports are planned)
  • Modder friendly: I designed it to be easy to mod, and extend!
  • Inspired by: http://www.esa.int/Highlights/Lunar_3D_printing

Parts:

• Ulti-Compress-Machine: This is the machine that can be used to print the building blocks
  • Ulti-Planetary-Rock-Fragment-Collector: This machine can collect printing material for the printing machine
  • Building blocks:
    • Airlock: The main part of your base. This provides the base life support and things like that...
    • Corridor: The most important part. By default it just a corridor, but with some resources it can be configured to other really useful things
    • Structural block: It's really just a block.

Download

Source:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FarFromKerbin

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1230/Far From Kerbin Redux

License:  Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

dJ3P7YR.png

MRZJGKV.png

4iNuIQU.png

RPEoG0B.png

ma9x7ME.png

Required mods:

Spoiler

You can easily create your own mode for the corridor block.

The main module reads them from config files. Here is a template(You can find the default configs in FarFromKerbin\Parts\Modes):

STBMODE
{
//the display name
modeName = Bionics Module

//the name of the model (IMPORTANT: in the same directory)
model = BionicsMode

//The cost of construction
RESOURCE-COST
{
	name = MetalPakk
	amount = 5
}
RESOURCE-COST
{
	name = ElektricPakk
	amount = 2.5
}
RESOURCE-COST
{
	name = SciencePakk
	amount = 1
}

//If your mode needs another mods, put the names here.
MOD-DEPENDENCY
{
	//The name of the required assembly
	name = USILifeSupport
}

//the name of part module
MODULE
{
	name = ModuleResourceConverter
	ConverterName = Agroponics
	tag = Agroponics
	StartActionName = Start Agroponics
	StopActionName = Stop Agroponics
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = Mulch
		Ratio =  0.0045
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = Fertilizer
		Ratio =  0.0006
	}
	OUTPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = Supplies
		Ratio = 0.0051
		DumpExcess = False
	}
	INPUT_RESOURCE
	{
		ResourceName = ElectricCharge
		Ratio = 20
	}
}
//resources
RESOURCE
{
	name = Mulch
	amount = 0
	maxAmount = 500
}
RESOURCE
{
	name = Supplies
	amount = 500
	maxAmount = 500
}
RESOURCE
{
	name = Fertilizer
	amount = 500
	maxAmount = 500
}
}

Credits, licenses, and things that most of you won't read :confused::

• This mod licensed under: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0
  • License thingies:
    • Communty Resource Pack: Made by the Roverdude, distributed under it's own license
    • ModuleManager: Made by ialdabaoth & sarbian, distributed under it's own license.
  • Thanks to:
    • ObiVanDamme - For some code bits form OSE Workshop
    • KospY and Winn75  - For making KIS, my favorite mod   

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

Yes, I have KIS and other dependencies are included. I hade to add a resource 'dirt'. Now it prints, but blocks are untextured and one I board an airlock, I can't get back out.

Ok, next up is a fresh install with just FFK and its dependencies installed. Run that, check for problems, and if they persist, output_log.txt, KSP.log, and screenshots with specific steps for reproduction. Standard troubleshooting steps. If the problem persists, i think @linuxgurugamer will have more specific instructions, 

8 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Ok, next up is a fresh install with just FFK and its dependencies installed. Run that, check for problems, and if they persist, output_log.txt, KSP.log, and screenshots with specific steps for reproduction. Standard troubleshooting steps. If the problem persists, i think @linuxgurugamer will have more specific instructions, 

@Benjamin Kerman Thank you for taking the lead on this.  Ping me if he still has problems.

@Benjamin Kerman I will not be able to get to my computer and get the log file until Saturday, but hope to then.

I can give you reproduction steps:

Clean install, add KIS, and FFK. Nothing works. Add dirt in resource.cfg file (In FFK). Blocks are now printable, but are textureless and once entering an airlock, there is no way to eva, as internals are missing as well.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:11 AM, Brent Kerman said:

Clean install, add KIS, and FFK.

Just seeing this again. Your reproduction steps do not include all the necessary dependencies, so it won't work. 

Second. Are you running the 1.3 on a 1.2.2 install?

I also see other things installed. Could be a conflict (i.e. Hullcam, DMagicOrbitalScience were two i saw off the bat). You need a clean install. 

1. Unzip KSP v.1.2.2
  2. Run KSP (stock) once. Just loading it and quitting is fine. 
  3. Add FFK and all dependencies, no other mods. 
  4. Run game. Check if everything is working. 

If it is still broken, LGG will have to look at that. Otherwise, there was a mod conflict or you installed it incorrectly.

Edit: Dirt is included in the CRP

Edit 2: Here is the release you need

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am seriously thinking of dropping this mod for several reasons:

The mod was never really finished, and I'm not going to be adding anything

• Lack of interest on anybody's part in using it
  • Lack of time

Before I make a final decision, I'll wait to see if anyone is really using this.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 8:27 AM, azander said:

I use it.  Quite nice addition to my game.

Hi @linuxgurugamer I honestly have no idea how anyone can get any enjoyment with this mod as it stands. Much the same concerns voiced in the original thread, there isn't really anyway to get stuff to 'happen'. I'd say there is more work here in making the mod, then getting it 'working' - Not that it's up for voting, but given the amount of mods you manage, I'd rather your time be spend on other things.

I modded the part cfgs so I had access to the parts from the VAB and had a play around. Nothing inspired me to want to use any of the parts for theme or story or roleplay. 

Picture shows the blocks that that compressor apparently creates.  I wasn't able to get it to work other than forcing the part to be available in the VAB and placing with KAS.

Angled shaped block is the 'airlock', square block is the 'corridor' and the rock looking share is the basic 'block'. Even if there were textures, I think I'd rather use the KPBS.

Tested with fresh KSP 1.3.0, KIS & KAS, CRP and FFK.

r5REZkfh.png

Edited by wile1411

Ok.

Based on all the feedback, and after reviewing the mod, I've decided that this mod will be retired.

I'm sorry to the few of you who are using it.  I'm not going to delete the mod, but I'm not going to support it, and not going to update it for any future versions of KSP.

If anybody would be interested in taking this over and enhancing it, feel free to do so, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.