BogusDionysus48

Stock VTOL Showcase

38 posts in this topic

This is a place to share all of you stock vtol designs. (Try to include craft file if possible)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tadaa!! 

 

Edited by rkarmark
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woah, perfect timing. I've just made some VTOLs this weekend. Here's one:

Spoiler

MV0e72E.jpg

There's a whole album of this craft here, and the craft file at KerbalX: Raven Mk-1

I also made this one based on similar principles: 

Spoiler

1KdDaQ5.jpg

 

Here's a link to that one's album, but I haven't made a GIF of it. The download: Crow Mk-1

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

these are some nice vtols I am currently working on two the Techwing and the Fanging I will post them as soon as I figure out how to get a picture off anXbox 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my stock F-35 replica, complete with a swivel VTOL engine.

nXd1AA1.gif

Works just as well as the real thing, without the "break mach 2" or the "reinvent air warfare" part of it.

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Servo said:

Here's my stock F-35 replica, complete with a swivel VTOL engine.

nXd1AA1.gif

Works just as well as the real thing, without the "break mach 2" or the "reinvent air warfare" part of it.

 

I am honoured that you even looked at this because I know the kinds of things you do and I am very impressed thank you

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

I am honoured that you even looked at this because I know the kinds of things you do and I am very impressed thank you

Thanks man, But if you think my stuff is impressive, take a look around the forum. People are always trying new and crazy things. I'm still in awe of @Azimech's turboshafts and @klond's mechanical creations. 

Everything I or anyone has made was built on the backs of giants. I was inspired by @Torquimedes's F-14 and @Majorjim!'s thermometer hinges to build the VTOL engine. 

Take inspiration from others, and don't be afraid to innovate on their designs (just give credit where credit is due). 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AHeroReborn said:

how do you guys freakin do this?

Try, crash, do tweaks, repeat. 

Or use Throttle Controlled Avionics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, rkarmark said:

Try, crash, do tweaks, repeat. 

Or use Throttle Controlled Avionics

Yup that is my process.

Just minus the TCA 

8 hours ago, Servo said:

Thanks man, But if you think my stuff is impressive, take a look around the forum. People are always trying new and crazy things. I'm still in awe of @Azimech's turboshafts and @klond's mechanical creations. 

Everything I or anyone has made was built on the backs of giants. I was inspired by @Torquimedes's F-14 and @Majorjim!'s thermometer hinges to build the VTOL engine. 

Take inspiration from others, and don't be afraid to innovate on their designs (just give credit where credit is due). 

Okay will do, thanks!

Also wondering Servo, since I play ksp on a Xbox (easyer controls) I don't think I can make a swivel engine?

Edited by BogusDionysus48
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Yup that is my process.

Just minus the TCA 

Okay will do, thanks!

Also wondering Servo, since I play ksp on a Xbox (easyer controls) I don't think I can make a swivel engine?

sure you can, you'll just have to build your own thermometer hinge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EladDv said:

sure you can, you'll just have to build your own thermometer hinge.

Ya but during the hinge is the hard part because I would have to go to the map view to change craft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya but during the hinge is the hard part because I would have to go to the map view to change craft

I would make one for you but I don't think you can install others craft files on the Xbox.. 

 You will have to give it a go yourself, just stick at it and ask if you get stuck, peeps here are very willing to help! :-)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I would make one for you but I don't think you can install others craft files on the Xbox.. 

 You will have to give it a go yourself, just stick at it and ask if you get stuck, peeps here are very willing to help! :-)

Ya I have tried but I just don't know what parts to use :/ and no you can't install craft files

Edited by BogusDionysus48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya I have tried but I just don't know what parts to use :/

Well the thermometers are the 'cage' or the outside of the hinge. Use eight of them in an octagon shape. Inside that you can use a small antenna, although using a linear RCS port is more reliable and strong for heavy mechanisms. 

 

Edited by Majorjim!
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Well the thermometers are the 'cage' or the outside of the hinge. Use eight of them in an octagon shape. Inside that you can use a small antenna, although using a linear RCS port is more reliable and strong for heavy mechanisms. 

 

Okay il try that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya but during the hinge is the hard part because I would have to go to the map view to change craft

You can make them without switching craft. Both of the ones I uploaded, plus I think Servo's F-35, have actuators that allow the hinges to pivot without any craft switching shenanigans. Airbrakes are what I use, but I think you can use landing gear too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A_Because said:

You can make them without switching craft. Both of the ones I uploaded, plus I think Servo's F-35, have actuators that allow the hinges to pivot without any craft switching shenanigans. Airbrakes are what I use, but I think you can use landing gear too.

Maybe I'll have to try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Maybe I'll have to try

Definitely! 

 Make sure the pushing part (leg, airbrake Ect) are on the main craft then all you have to do is separate the moving part and you never have to select it (making sure it can dock to a second port of course) :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Definitely! 

 Make sure the pushing part (leg, airbrake Ect) are on the main craft then all you have to do is separate the moving part and you never have to select it (making sure it can dock to a second port of course) :-)

 

Ya I still can't get the hinge right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

Ya I still can't get the hinge right 

Just keep trying man, it's rare that they work first time. Remember you need a 'stopper' for the central part to keep it centralised. Put this on the outside of the cage. 

 Try moving the cage little by little to get the right clearance for the bearing. I can only imagine how hard it must be to do that with a joy pad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, A_Because said:

You can make them without switching craft. Both of the ones I uploaded, plus I think Servo's F-35, have actuators that allow the hinges to pivot without any craft switching shenanigans. Airbrakes are what I use, but I think you can use landing gear too.

I don't know about the others' designs, but on my F-35, you have to switch crafts to keep the throttle up after decoupling. In order to create one that doesn't require craft switching, you need to have two docking ports that it switches between. @JollyGreenGI has a F-35 that can be flown without switching craft, for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Just keep trying man, it's rare that they work first time. Remember you need a 'stopper' for the central part to keep it centralised. Put this on the outside of the cage. 

 Try moving the cage little by little to get the right clearance for the bearing. I can only imagine how hard it must be to do that with a joy pad. 

What are the parts in the hinge I can't see them in the pics. Does this require part clipping?

Edited by BogusDionysus48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now