More (and more lengthy) Science experiments!

I think that right now, doing science in ksp is a bit too easy. maybe if the science modules took some time to finish (like with data transmissions), there would be something more to do during long burns or on inter-planetary trajectories.

There should also be some improvements to the smaller science experiments; make them less powerful, more scanner-esque,etc.(i.e., to get an accurate seismic reading of an area, you have to take several readings all around the area instead of just one in the center)

Side-Note: does anyone else find it annoying that you can't take multiple readings with some parts? I know this is in some cases solved by transmitting the data, but it's still really annoying.

submit other relatively small related ideas below!

One word: graphs.

IMO the experiments should gather information in the form of graphs as long as they are active. Keeping them on eats EC anyway. This could be a good way of motivating the player to go back to a planet or moon. Here's an example:

You land a probe in a certain location. The lander has the seismic instrument. You leave it there and as long as it has EC gathers data in the form of graph. You can monitor the graph in R&D (which makes no sense but whatever vOv). You go back a few days on the graph and see a few spikes on it! :o What could it be? An alien walking by? Let's go back there to investigate! You go there and it's just another one of these monoliths that unlock you tech. Meh.

The last few lines are obviously a joke, but I actually wouldn't mind having these random events happen from time to time with some sort of reward for revisiting the place. A good reason to keep nearby bases inhabited.

Edited by Veeltch

I think that might be part of what the abstraction of science/data to the MPL is.

To suggest a mechanic. A science device can gather one block of science. But when coupled with a staffed and researching MPL it can continuously generate data at 1% per day of the amount that would be generated. But consumes 2 ec/s while running. 

5 hours ago, whitejj01 said:

Side-Note: does anyone else find it annoying that you can't take multiple readings with some parts? I know this is in some cases solved by transmitting the data, but it's still really annoying.

You can also now move the data to a science container or Remote Guidance Unit probe core.  Even better, you can use action groups to hotkey the command to collect all science from your instruments.  Still a little silly, but easier than it used to be.  

Edited by Aegolius13

Hey OP, give this a shot for longer experiments, it's a fun little mod:

As for the more sciency aspect of having data points and graphs, I'd love to see this mod incorporated into the science gear to generate science points and get contracts involving it, eg. Plot the pressure of Kerbin's atmosphere from sea level to 70,000m, or record the temps every 5 seconds during reentry, etc. It'd be neat to have real data from missions logged.

20 hours ago, whitejj01 said:

I will! is there a version of the S.E.P. that doesn't require KAS/KIS?

No. It requires KAS/KIS because it's based on the surface experiments from the Apollo program, which were stored in the lander and then deployed on the lunar surface and left there. Why not just install KAS and KIS as well? They're very useful mods to have.

Edited by eloquentJane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.