oversized six-shot revolver

klond

The weapons challenge thread still has my attention.  Also a few weeks back there was talk about moving things without switching craft (scanners, claws, etc).  The cumulation of those 2 things lead to this revolver.  I wanted to see how much manipulation I could do without switching craft.

tyu8uLW.jpg

Each round is one nosecone (bullet), 8 angled sepratrons (gunpowder) to give spin stabilization (pretend the barrel is rifled, k), and a docking port with no probe core control.

NwDtWbO.jpg

There is one round in each chamber obviously.  A ram pushes the round, then the docking port magnetism takes over.  Now that it's part of the main craft I can fire, undock, unlock the revolving part, spin it with rocket force, then lock it into place and do it all again.

I had to come up with an a device to stop the revolver at each chamber (remember, self-imposed no craft switching) so I made a mechanical incrementor (the blue seperators at the back there).  They are a one-time stopper at each 60 degree mark, give or take flexing.  Empty rounds are lighter than full rounds so I needed a stopper (the landing gear) so the chamber won't roll backwards.  Enough typing for now, on to the show.

KerbalX

Edited by klond

14 hours ago, Jefzor said:

I can't imagin how much time that must have taken. 

A lot for sure.  I had a docking port bug eat up a bunch of time.

So weird, had to google it.  If I staged 2 things with a separator, but they quickly docked (like within 1 second), both docking ports would be missing the 'undock' button.  Even when keybound it would not undock.  They were docked for sure - there was no other craft to toggle to.

I had wanted to make it easy and just have buttons 1 thru 6 or 7 do all the work, but since I ended up needing way more than 10 steps and I ran out of buttons so I ended up with complex instructions.  They are on the kerbalx page.

I had also wanted to have the barrel flip out at the end and maybe even dump out the spent cartridges but it just got to be too much, would have taken forever if even possible.  Lots of challenges

48 minutes ago, klond said:

I had also wanted to have the barrel flip out at the end and maybe even dump out the spent cartridges but it just got to be too much, would have taken forever if even possible.  Lots of challenges

Jokingly, of course, I was about to ask "What? No cylinder release and reload function?" And then I see you beat me to it. Building a representation of a revolver is one thing, but making it work with zero vessel switching is something else entirely. This is impressive.

Nice work!

I wonder if a kind of ratchet mechanism could be integrated with the incrementor mechanism at the back to allow the elimination of the stopper gear... I'll have to test it when I get home.

Edit: The above may not be possible, I think I misinterpreted how it works.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

48 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I wonder if a kind of ratchet mechanism could be integrated with the incrementor mechanism at the back to allow the elimination of the stopper gear.

Yeah that does sound more proper.  I do not own one of these but google images shows a kind of ratchet type deal that spins the cylinder (Thanks, @Mako cylinder was the word I was looking for) when the hammer is pulled back - so yeah I really kerbalized it to make it work.  I could maybe retrofit one in there someday.  All that comes to mind is a ring of six slightly open airbrakes, but those things are pretty big.

Anyone know what caliber this would be?

The calculation is a simple unit conversion doable by simply googling it since caliber (as far as I understand) is just the diameter of the inside of the barrel or the diameter of the projectile measured in inches (it can be measured in metric ofc but then you don't put cal after it).

Anyways, if you go by the "bullet" I think it's about 24 cal, if you go by the inside of the barrel tho it's more like 45 cal.

2 hours ago, BogusDionysus48 said:

If you made a larger bullet, used 2 structural fuselages, and made the barrel longer you could make a sniper

Maybe.  I'm afraid if the barrel was longer the bullet would hit the bottom of the barrel from gravity.  I'm kind of surprised it can be as long as it is already.

1 hour ago, klond said:

Maybe.  I'm afraid if the barrel was longer the bullet would hit the bottom of the barrel from gravity.  I'm kind of surprised it can be as long as it is already.

Good point how could I forget gravity but with a bigger bullet it could go faster and might be able to get out the end

19 hours ago, klond said:

You still got me comtemplating this.  I could save a lot of button presses if the landing gear lock was automatic, one-way-only.

Maybe a curved strip of structural plates going around the turbine with the final plate dipping ever so slightly inside the radius of the turbine.* When turning the right direction, the turbine blades would just push the structural plate out and away, allowed by the springyness of the strip. When it tries to turn back however, the blade will be unable to move the plate due to the angle at which they meet.

*Imagine it like an @ symbol, with the thing in the middle being the turbine and the spiral thingy around the outside being the strip. The final plate wouldn't dip in so sharply however

Edit: I've modified the revolver with the mechanism I described, and so far I've gotten it to fire 5 of the 6 shots. I need to do some tweaking to make it more reliable and get that last shot.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

On 2/28/2017 at 9:44 PM, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

plate dipping ever so slightly inside the radius of the turbine.* When turning the right direction, the turbine blades would just push the structural plate out and away, allowed by the springyness of the strip. When it tries to turn back however, the blade will be unable to move the plate due to the angle at which they meet.

It totally does work!  In this case I used a little solar panel.  I put it underneath because the rockets help lift it over a little bit.  Every once in a while it doesn't make it over.  The little rockets only have so much oomph.  The slop in the bearings makes the barrel and cylinder tough to line up this way - Not sure if I'll put it into production but definitely one for the toolbox.  Thumbs up!

A little hard to see the blue solar panel as we're almost edge-on.  A little antenna as a pin worked too.

giphy.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.