I think It would be really cool if you could Ksp in VR. You could have the building as you building models of the ships in miniature and the parts in little boxes that you pull out. Then you could fly the ship from iva and with a few external cameras. Maby you could drive rovers by telling them where to go. or you could have a rover control room you could drive it from like probe control room mod. 

But how do you handle the fact that KSP perspective is object-in-hand? What do you do when the player turns their head to the right, or looks up?

(This topic surfaces a lot. KSP is 99% 3rd person and therefore not suited to VR.)

23 hours ago, eddiew said:

But how do you handle the fact that KSP perspective is object-in-hand? What do you do when the player turns their head to the right, or looks up?

(This topic surfaces a lot. KSP is 99% 3rd person and therefore not suited to VR.)

Honestly, it wouldn't take *full* advantage of what VR can offer, but any 3D application is "suited" to VR.

VR's unique seling point is not "A view that rotates with your head". We've had that for ages.

VR's unique selling point is TRUE 3D and 6 degrees of freedom.

You make it so the normal 3rd person view is what you get when you "look forwards".

If you look left or right or up or down, you see what is in that direction - usually nothing but space.

When you are not looking at empty space you are looking at a FULLY 3D KSP!! With depth-perception!!

Add in 6 degrees of freedom and you can get really good control over your view, useful in VAB for designing those tricky intricate bits, or just viewing your creation.

Plus also looking around could have some utility on planetary surfaces and a little bonus could be a 1st-person EVA view.

I'm 100% for VR.

Are people really that against it because KSP is 3rd person? (I havnt been a part of any other VR threads)

TL;DR - VR would be fully worth it just for the stereoscopic 3D.

inb4 - "This isnt important they should work on other stuff"

Yeahyeahyeah, move along now.

Edited by p1t1o

I thought KSP already had support for VR headsets, or maybe that was only by mod. Either way, KSP is only 3rd person because we frequently choose to play that way. You can fly entirely from the cockpit (I know, I have a 40 episode youtube series where any crewed missions had to be flown that way) and there are mods to make EVAs fully first person. I haven't used VR myself yet, but I imagine having the standard 3rd person camera would be a fine stopgap in scenes where there isn't first person until full controls were developed. I imagine vessel creation could be pretty nice with full VR support since it already uses a lego-like system where things snap together, but you could zoom in and have precise control over things. Really though, for flying it would be awesome.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 28/02/2017 at 0:37 PM, eddiew said:

I think that turning your head should have the same effect as pressing the middle mouse button and moving your mouse. If you want to orbit your craft, it is better to:

1) Use hand controls (buttons, hand motions, etc)

2) Make it possible to lean around (via moving your body) and literally look at your craft.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017 at 0:37 PM, eddiew said:

the flying could be done IVA only or with a few external cameras to show the outside. I personally would love to be able to watch out a tiny window as my ship breaks up. 

On 3/1/2017 at 11:57 AM, p1t1o said:

Honestly, it wouldn't take *full* advantage of what VR can offer, but any 3D application is "suited" to VR.

VR's unique seling point is not "A view that rotates with your head". We've had that for ages.

VR's unique selling point is TRUE 3D and 6 degrees of freedom.

You make it so the normal 3rd person view is what you get when you "look forwards".

If you look left or right or up or down, you see what is in that direction - usually nothing but space.

When you are not looking at empty space you are looking at a FULLY 3D KSP!! With depth-perception!!

Add in 6 degrees of freedom and you can get really good control over your view, useful in VAB for designing those tricky intricate bits, or just viewing your creation.

Plus also looking around could have some utility on planetary surfaces and a little bonus could be a 1st-person EVA view.

I'm 100% for VR.

Are people really that against it because KSP is 3rd person? (I havnt been a part of any other VR threads)

TL;DR - VR would be fully worth it just for the stereoscopic 3D.

inb4 - "This isnt important they should work on other stuff"

Yeahyeahyeah, move along now.

With my idea, the VAB building would be totally different, more suited for VR. instead of building full sized rocket. you would be building a model of the rocket that you would fly with the parts coming out of drawers with labels to show what is in there. 

1 hour ago, Hay said:

The only thing in KSP that'd work with VR are IVA's. The rest wouldn't work at all.

All of the 3D parts would work perfectly. That is to say, the entire game. VR goggles are a full stereoscopic 3D screen. Sure, padlocking the view to your head orientation is a very immersive feature that is not suited to all uses, but as far as I am concerned, the head-tracking is secondary by far.

Plus, there are plenty of ways that you can intuitively use the orientation of your head to manipulate a camera PoV without it necessarily being a true First-Person perspective.

VR goggles can be used for so much more than just "head simulation".

1 hour ago, zebidia kerman said:

With my idea, the VAB building would be totally different, more suited for VR. instead of building full sized rocket. you would be building a model of the rocket that you would fly with the parts coming out of drawers with labels to show what is in there. 

Cool idea, but its not for me :) I feel like I'd find the perceived change of scale a bit jarring.

I imagine one major roadblock to VR integration, for any piece of software, is that there are just so many different ways to implement it.

Edited by p1t1o

22 hours ago, p1t1o said:

All of the 3D parts would work perfectly. That is to say, the entire game. VR goggles are a full stereoscopic 3D screen. Sure, padlocking the view to your head orientation is a very immersive feature that is not suited to all uses, but as far as I am concerned, the head-tracking is secondary by far.

Plus, there are plenty of ways that you can intuitively use the orientation of your head to manipulate a camera PoV without it necessarily being a true First-Person perspective.

VR goggles can be used for so much more than just "head simulation".

Cool idea, but its not for me :) I feel like I'd find the perceived change of scale a bit jarring.

I imagine one major roadblock to VR integration, for any piece of software, is that there are just so many different ways to implement it.

IN my idea, there  is a window that looks out over the VAB, It would be even cooler if as you built the model a full sized one was built in front of you.

1 hour ago, zebidia kerman said:

IN my idea, there  is a window that looks out over the VAB, It would be even cooler if as you built the model a full sized one was built in front of you.

Noice! Perhaps you could walk out onto those gantries and walkways that line the VAB too!

1 minute ago, p1t1o said:

Noice! Perhaps you could walk out onto those gantries and walkways that line the VAB too!

That would be awesome. but why would you need to do it? If you have an idea tall it to me. 

I am not very good at unity but I really want to make a mockup of the idea. I am going to try blender but if anyone can do it in unity I would love to see it!

2 minutes ago, zebidia kerman said:

That would be awesome. but why would you need to do it? If you have an idea tall it to me. 

When multi-player hits, we'll need to be able to tell each other to go up waaaay up there on the gantry to take 'selfies' of us with the ground crew at the base of our new rocket.

This has been discussed to death, but the long and the short of it is, PC VR is does not have enough market saturation to warrant the time it would take to develop it. (In my opinion, Squad has said nothing).  Ultimately there has to be enough people to benefit from the change, and there simply aren't.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:22 AM, magico13 said:

I thought KSP already had support for VR headsets, or maybe that was only by mod.

Either a mod or you are thinking of TrackIR.  TrackIR is just an infrared head tracking device that emulates mouse control the game already has.  It's just as niche as VR, but easier to develop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.