[1.7.x] ReCoupler - Monocouple your bicouplers!

Booots

It's done! I added a GUI, added compatibility for CLS, and fixed the last of the annoying bugs. Soo... It's time for a release! I made a thread over in the Release forums, so feel free to check it out over there!

13 hours ago, jbwagner said:

CKAN link to spacedock.info is adding a 'v' in front of the version and is causing errors with download.  Actual link: https://spacedock.info/mod/1250/ReCoupler/download/1.0.0  Link CKAN is using: https://spacedock.info/mod/1250/ReCoupler/download/v1.0.0

@linuxgurugamer, how would I go about fixing this? I ask because you merged the first CKAN pull request and I'm not familiar at all with CKAN.

What happened is I updated it with a v1.0.0 version number, realized I had broken my numbering convention, updated it again without sending the notifications to followers, and deleted the v one.

52 minutes ago, Booots said:

@linuxgurugamer, how would I go about fixing this? I ask because you merged the first CKAN pull request and I'm not familiar at all with CKAN.

What happened is I updated it with a v1.0.0 version number, realized I had broken my numbering convention, updated it again without sending the notifications to followers, and deleted the v one.

We will need to do an epoch to deal with it.

Is the current convetion correct?

10 hours ago, Rodger said:

And re the future plans for a decoupler that uses fairings for fake-connections, it wouldn't just be useful for engine fairings/decouplers - a few parts use different 'fairings' on multiple nodes to give choices for different visual options, which doesn't currently work:
uhSlDSV.png

EG: the missing end caps on the mini-trusses, and the rounded white corner parts on the right side are actually 6 point hubs which change depending on how many nodes are used, the yellow-highlighted one should be a 90° joiner like the topmost two are.

@Rodger, what mod are those mini-trusses from? I have the 6-sided nodes working in flight now, but not in the editor... :/

Edited by Booots

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

Those are from MKS, which has a few other multi-node parts too (the 'tundra' hubs would be nice to have working esp), and yeah the adaptive nodes are KPBS as I guess you worked out lol

Thanks! I've got them both working in flight and the MKS ones sort of working in the editor. I'm not really sure what's the issue with the KPBS ones is in the editor. RoverDude used the stock ModuleStructuralNode which, while not being documented or open source, has specific functions to spawn and despawn the model, so that's handy. KPBS just checks if the AttachNode has an attachedPart - which I do set, but I guess it checks differently in the editor? It works in flight, at least, so that's nice, but if I don't figure it out by next week I'll ping the author and get advice.

The MKS ones also don't disappear again in flight if they ReCoupler joint is removed (they do in the editor), but that's also minor. I'm away for the weekend, but I'll keep working on them on Monday along with any other bugs that come up.

This turned out to be much trickier than I thought. But I think it's good to go now. I had to re-do a bunch of the in-editor code, but that's okay because I was never really happy with it. It's still super hacky, but as long as nobody else tries the sort of trickiness I'm doing to make circular structures it should* be alright. If anyone runs into problems with attach nodes not reappearing, please let me know.

Now that it's working reliably in editor and in flight for me, I've put out an update. So @Rodger, give it a go! :)

And yet another update!

Changes:
 * Added support for Blizzy's Toolbar.
 * Fixed crossfeed not showing up in the editor.
 * Refactored to increase robustness and remove the need for a VesselModule
 * All identifying of ReCoupler joints is done in the editor, eliminating the possibility of unwanted joints generating in flight.
 * All saving of ReCoupler joints is handled natively by KSP through sneaky trickery.
 * Bug fixes and efficiency improvement.

I've run out of high-priority things to do. The only thing left on my to-do list is make a nicer icon. So hit me up with suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys ! I think I have an issue with the mod. I'm running the 1.2.2 version of KSP and the 1.2.1 version of ReCoupler.

The problem is that I see the R/C icon, the window opens, i can "show recoupled parts", but the "Remove a link" and "Reset link" are always grey, i can never click on it. I can click the Apply button too, but... what does it apply ? And what about "Radius" and "Angle" settings ? What is it for ?

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm completely lost, i surely miss something but I can't find a tutorial about it. My project is stopped because I can't go on without removing a link I don't want.

Edited by Knacky

17 hours ago, Knacky said:

Hi guys ! I think I have an issue with the mod. I'm running the 1.2.2 version of KSP and the 1.2.1 version of ReCoupler.

The problem is that I see the R/C icon, the window opens, i can "show recoupled parts", but the "Remove a link" and "Reset link" are always grey, i can never click on it. I can click the Apply button too, but... what does it apply ? And what about "Radius" and "Angle" settings ? What is it for ?

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm completely lost, i surely miss something but I can't find a tutorial about it. My project is stopped because I can't go on without removing a link I don't want.

Hey! Thanks for trying out my mod. This is partially my bad for not writing a ReadMe or anything yet. The 'Remove a Link' and 'Reset Links' buttons are inoperative in the VAB and SPH because I haven't yet figured out how to intercept clicks on parts before the editor picks up the part that was clicked on. They work in flight, though, so I'd suggest finishing your vessel and then using the 'Remove a Link' button once it's launched. Unless you're dealing with parts that change their mesh based on which attach nodes are occupied, in which case I'll accelerate my research and push you an update soonest.

To answer your other questions: the 'Apply' button applies the radius and angle settings from those text boxes. Those control the maximum distance between attach nodes that ReCoupler will recognize as valid, and the acceptable angle between the directions of the two attach nodes (like how in stock, it won't accept two nodes that are facing the same direction; it enforces top to bottom), respectively. You could also try setting the radius box to a really small number, clicking apply, and detaching and reattaching the link you don't want. Note that this might also remove some desired links on the same vessel (vessels already built or in-flight should be unaffected). This workaround is sort of like temporarily disabling ReCoupler for that specific vessel.

Out of personal curiosity, can you post a picture of the vessel you're working on? I'm interested to see a case where ReCoupler is making an undesired link. Thanks!

Hi Booots ! Thank you for your answer and explanation. That's a lot clearer ! I didn't even noticed that the buttons were functionnal in flight...

I'll try to explain to you what i'm trying to do. I'm actually building a HUGE vessel with a dementic cargo bay that will transport a whole planetary base that will be unloaded from the bay by several vehicles. I already built the vehicles, and i'm starting the vessel's building, so it's not a definitive design at all. My idea is to open that bay from the front of the vessel. For that, I use 3 doorhinges (from Infernal Robotics mod) to open the door, and a rotatron to flip the bottom part of the nose, so it becomes a ramp. But screenshots will be more useful :

So this is the front of the vessel, when the door is closed :
odfadlP.jpg

And here it is when I open it entirely :
qYv2iSH.jpg

Seen from the side :
FriZsjj.jpg

And there come the problems : when the door is closed, ReCoupler joins the door parts to the vessel's body. So the doorhinges don't work anymore. Actually, they don't work at all, it only works in the SPH for the moment, because the last version of IR still has bugs with KSP 1.2.2 and KerbalJointReinforcement mod. But that's another problem i'll solve later. ^^
ttH171e.jpg

EDIT : I precise that the bay is made with a B9 HX mod part that is call HX4-UH Structural Module. It's possible to edit the attach nodes of that part in the SPH/VAB. You can choose, for each side, how you want to place the nodes : 1+1 vertically, 1+1 horizontally, 2+2, 1 at the bottom and 2 at the top, or 1 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I chose this last option, so the blue and yellow parts on the last screenshot are not even supposed to be attached because there's only one central node. But ReCoupler seems to ignore it completely (Note : the default option for the nodes is 2+2). I think that kind of configuration is quite a big deal for ReCoupler to understand what I want to do. lol.

Here's a screenshot of the nodes i'm talking about.
dn0RJfw.jpg

EDIT 2 :

And here's a screenshot of what ReCoupler does when I remove the central parts from the nose :
SoY3evo.jpg

Edited by Knacky

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, njmksr said:

Having just found out about this, I am hereby invoking @SQUAD. Make this stock. Not in an expansion, either. Just... Hire @Booots and make this stock already. 

Yeah ! That's nonsense that they did not include any recoupling option. It gives so much more possibilities !

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 5:11 AM, Rodger said:

@Booots I've made a better icon which actually works in 38x38 and 24x24, though there's no on/off variation.

Feel free to use! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/klquk2q6xeamcf7/AAAHaijUAeowsJet4FTXU-fSa?dl=0

Thanks! I like the roundified corners you added. Would it be much trouble to ask you for an 'on' version that's slightly green? Right now I'm using (108,163,98).

Edited by Booots

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2017-06-04 at 2:36 AM, ZobrAA said:

Cofirmed ReCoupler 1.3.0 work fine on KSP 1.3.0 :)

Thanks for letting me know! I haven't had time to update KSP yet (I bought a house and am moving across the country!), so it's nice to know ReCoupler doesn't need updating. Let me know if any bugs show up! :)

• 1 month later...

So, I'd previously been using Recoupler for strengthening IR joints (using several rotors on the same axis and strutting them together), but 1.3.0 of Recoupler breaks this. Could you look into improving the IR support or making it optional with future versions?

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.