They all met in the war.

steuben

Gene stood in front of the boardroom table. The gathered high ranking kerbals of the KSP watched as he picked up the one sheet of paper.

“Telemetry reports the following: electrical nominal, fuels nominal, thermal nominal, solid consumables nominal, liquid consumables low. “ Gene paused. He knew what the next statements were. It made it real to see it written down on paper. “As of four hours ago, gas consumables depleted, life signs… none.”

Four days later, Gene stood behind the podium of the large lecture hall. Behind him were two large pictures of Jedidiah and Valentina. In the front rows were family, followed by the politicians and dignitaries. The members of the program filled the rest of the hall. The press weren’t there.

“You’ve heard about Jeb and Val. Their exploits, their skills, their kerbal-ish flaws.” Gene paused. “You all know the program was started to help us heal from the war. Jeb had earned the nickname ‘The Slippery Eel,’ Val ‘The Perfect Monster’ during their tours. I know during their time they served on the same front a few times. Perhaps it is fitting that the two top pilots of the KSP were good friends, and came from opposite sides.

“They weren’t always though. Dicey and the Ice Queen did not get along. They would… vigorously debate each other’s opinions on many topics.” There was a general chuckle from the crowd. “But, things changed one day.

“I don’t remember what it was about. It could have been over something minor, it could have been over who left the coffee pot empty, or it just could have been the accumulated friction between the two.

“I got down to the offices to see Jeb and Val standing in the open space in the centre of the desks.

“’I will slay the monsta!” Jeb said.

“Val laughed. ‘You couldn’t then with a whole wing beside you. What makes you think you could do it now?’

“’I didn’t need a wing then, I don’t need one now. That tone you hear is the lock my foot has on your ass.’”

“They had fought before. But, that time it was different. We could tell this time would end it one way or another. They stood staring at each other. I said afterwards I didn’t see who threw the first punch. I still stay that. Those of us in that room got to see what many had seen, and few survived.

“The fight was an example of their styles; Jeb’s focused chaos against Val’s crisp perfection. The first few blows were tentative but deliberate, designed to figure each other out.

“They paused.

“They began.

“I don’t think the blows were to kill. But, they certainly would have incapacitated if they were to hit. They were either blocked or dodged. There was no showboating, no fancy moves, just simple and direct. They moved around the room, over the desks and chairs. The contents went flying. It was a terrible and beautiful ballet.

“As we watched they began to slow down. The blows began to connect. But, they had less power behind them. Soon they lost their form and elegance and became simple punches with no power at all.

“Then it was just like in the movies. They each landed a punch and stopped. They saged to the floor unconscious.

“When they both got out of the infirmary we all expected a repeat of that fight. But, they didn’t. They were cordial with other. Things improved from there.

“It was our history writ small. Those two who fought each other so hard for so long, were able to work together for the benefit of kerbal-kind.

Gene paused. “They have paid the price that so many have paid.” His voice caught. “They knew what their sacrifice would be when it came time.” It caught again. “We all know what it would be. What it would mean is what is important.” He voice quivered. “It would mean peace, hope, and a future.”

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.