The Day-Of-The-Announcement Discussion Thread

Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think they will reveal?

• New Feature (enhanced IVA, new mechanic)
    • New parts
    • Localisation (Please God No)
    • Some combination of the above
    • None of the above

Shorter KSP forums:

SQUAD: "We're localising KSP"
Forums: "OK"
SQUAD: "We have an announcement!"
SQUAD: "We're releasing our localisation pack!"
Forums : "WHAT?!"

Alternatively:

Forums: "Announce your releases."
SQUAD: "No."
SQUAD: "OK, here's our next release."
Forums: "WHAT?!"

6 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Shorter KSP forums:

SQUAD: "We have an announcement!"
SQUAD: "We're releasing our localisation pack!"
Forums : "WHAT?!"

Alternatively:

SQUAD: "OK, here's our next release."
Forums: "WHAT?!"

More like:

Squad: "We're localizing KSP."
Community: "OK."
Community: "Yes, you said that."
Community: "We heard you the first time."
Community: "OKAY! OKAY! We get it! You're localizing KSP!"
Squad: "WE'VE GOT A REALLY HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT! IT'S REALLY BIG! DON'T MISS IT!"
Community: "Wait? What? What is it? What are you doing! What's the big news!? Tell us! Tell us!"
Community: "GAAAHHH!!!"

1 minute ago, stibbons said:

Yes. And weeks and weeks of people complaining about a perceived lack of detail in announcements. What did you read?

I read my post. If Squad wants to avoid inducing massive amounts of teeth gnashing and disappointment in people then what they need to do is stop trying to hype their announcements by keeping them secret. Like this announcement. If they had just come along on a Thursday afternoon and said, "Hey everyone, we're going to have a writing contest to support our localization release!" then everyone would probably be a lot more on board with it. Instead they try to build excitement by being all secretive about it, "We've got a huge announcement coming!" And everyone does exactly what they did in this thread: They think they're announcing a new parts pack, or multiplayer, or the next release. And instead, it's a writing contest. And everyone ends up disappointed instead of interested or excited. If they want to avoid weeks and weeks of people complaining about a perceived lack of detail about the big announcement, the solution is simple: Don't talk about the big announcement until you're ready to talk about the big announcement.

Yeah, you're right. How dare people be proud of the work they've done. How dare they try to get the community involved and excited about their achievements.

Those monsters.

Ah, good, now you get it. 

Just now, stibbons said:

Yeah, you're right. How dare people be proud of the work they've done. How dare they try to get the community involved and excited about their achievements.

Those monsters.

You really aren't paying attention at all, are you? I'm not complaining about having a writing contest. I actually think that's a great idea, especially considering how many folks on the board write fan fiction. I'm complaining about the way they try to hype their announcements. Do you actually understand that, or do you just want to start slinging insults?

Just now, TheSaint said:

I'm complaining about the way they try to hype their announcements.

You're really not paying attention, are you.

4 minutes ago, stibbons said:

How dare they try to get the community involved and excited about their achievements.

You're really not paying attention, are you.

Well, you still aren't making a lot of sense. I'm making the case that Squad's attempts to generate hype and excitement for their announcements are actually backfiring on them and that they should take a different approach to them. You seem to take that (very angrily) to mean that I think Squad should somehow be ashamed of their work and are some kind of monsters. That's quite a non-sequitur. Are you just having difficulty compartmentalizing a bad day or something?

3 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

I'm afraid it's gonna be one of these:

• Localization (Relese) announcement
  • A NEW CONTEST! Send in a picture of how you participate in SQUAD's viral marketing as a mindless KSP-vehicle. The user with the most Facebook-Shares of KSP-related content, the user with the most KSP-Stickers on their car and the first who legally changes their name to Jebediah "Moarcashforsquad" Kerman get a picture of a 3D print of a paper cutout of the old Mk-2 capsule sent to their E-Mail address.

Oh wow. I was right in both. So we get a zero-code change release that most users don't care about, another "contest" that serves their marketing purposes. Great job squad. Expected nothing, still disappointed.

Did we really need an announcement-announcement for this?

9 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Expected nothing, still disappointed.

Other than the blog about the runway, this has been my reaction to everything Squad has said for months. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.