[1.12.x] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS), now with RecoveryController integration

linuxgurugamer

This is a continuation of the old FMRS mod, written by @SIT89, and originally continued by @Omegano.  

Original thread here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/72605-110-fl

The new version for KSP 1.4.1 has new dependencies

New Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

The Flight Manager for Reusable Stages 

FMRS lets you jump back and forth in time.

It generates save points after separating controllable probes, ship, landers, ...

So you can launch your mission into space, then jump back in time to the separation and have full control over your dropped vessels.

You can do SpaceX's Falcon 9 style launches and fly your first stage back to the launch site.

Or launch a space plane on the back of a normal plane. Bring the space plan into space and then fly the launch plane back to the runway.

Drop scientific probes out of flying planes. Let them descend to the ground and do research.

The separated vessels will be added to your main save after landing, or automatically recovered.

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/1251/ Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS) Continued

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FMRS

License: MIT

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Thanks to all the people who tested the upgrade to 1.2

Thanks to @EmbersArc for providing dumps, logs, craft files and some new icons

gTgNAPj.png?1

Video

Scott Manley made a video about recovery mods, including FMRS! (FMRS starting at 5:20)

Forum user @Get Ricemad eht following tutorial:

Instruction

• Every vessel which should be listed needs to have a probe core, command pod or a RealChute on it.
  • Go to the launch pad or runway and arm FMRS.
  • Launch you mission as usual.
  • Separate your boosters, probes, ...
  • Every separated vessel which is controllable or has a RealChute will be listed in the window of the plugin.
  • Now you can jump back to the time of separation and have full control over these vessels.
  • After you have landed, jump to other dropped crafts or go back to your main vessel and close the plugin.

Features

• Creates save points after separation of controllable vessels and lets you jump back to the separation and control these vessels.
  • After you have landed, these vessels will be added to your main save or recovered.
  • Recover function.
    • You can recover the landed vessel by clicking the in game recover button or use the auto recover function.
  • The costs of the vessel will be refunded including a calculated recovery factor.
  • All stored scientific data will be added to your main save.
  • You will get a message which lists all recovered values of your craft as soon as you jump back to your main vessel.
  • Automatic recover of separated and landed vessels (can be enabled in the settings).
  • Recovers the landed vessels automatically, before jumping to other crafts
  • Automatic engine cut off of separated crafts (can be enabled in the settings).
  • FRMS will cut of the engines of separated crafts immediately after separation.
  • Killed Kerbal tracking.
  • If you kill a Kerbal during flying a dropped craft, you will lose reputation in your main save.
  • Toolbar support.

Known Issues

• Science done on separate stage AFTER separation can be lost if you do a manual recovery
  • The Scrapyard mod does work with this, but you have to disable the auto-recover feature in the in flight window first. If you don't, you'll still get the money, but not the parts. 

Brand new is integration with the RecoveryController mod.  RecoveryController provides better integration with Stage Recovery, so you can now use both mods together on the same rocket.

Requires sarbian & ialdabaoth's ModuleManager plugin.

Installation

Copy the FMRS Folder into the GameData Folder of your KSP install.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

57 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding the new icons, I'm thinking about using the following colors:

• White: Available, not visible
  • Green: Visible
  • Red: Not available

Comments?

This makes sense. Another possibility is to make a grey one for the non-visible state:

• Grey: Not visible, available
  • White: Visible
  • Green: Active
  • Red: Not available

But that might make it a bit too complicated.

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

When I jump to a previous stage, it loads with the second stage clipped into the first stage, leading to the craft exploding.

http://imgur.com/a/ndN61

What do you need from me to debug this?

Nothing. Try increasing the time before the save is done.  That's why I put the option there.  It defaults to 0.2 second, try increasing it to 1 or two seconds.  You can set it globally in the settings (called Save Delay), and then adjust for each launch in the options

Hi, 

The way scott manley is using this mod in the video above does not work for me. Im doing: 

- Have FMRS enabled (timer running) 
- Separete stage 
- Jump to separated stage via the button in the FMRS window 
- Land it 
- Click the ingame "recover vessel" button

- ... nothing

The stage gets recovered and thats that. All the videos on youtube show the mod jumping back to the main ship after recovery, it doesnt happen for me, instead the main ship is just lost. 

Now i do have a boatload of mods installed that may be interfering, can anyone confirm if this works in a stock game?

Oh and i tried both the beta and debug-beta builds. Same. 

6 hours ago, Hacki said:

- Separete stage 
- Land it 

- ... nothing

Try without leaving the flight scene. Don't recover anything until the whole mission is done, meaning your stages are landed and your payload is in orbit.

13 hours ago, Hacki said:

Hi, 

The way scott manley is using this mod in the video above does not work for me. Im doing: 

- Separete stage 
- Land it 

- ... nothing

The stage gets recovered and thats that. All the videos on youtube show the mod jumping back to the main ship after recovery, it doesnt happen for me, instead the main ship is just lost. 

Now i do have a boatload of mods installed that may be interfering, can anyone confirm if this works in a stock game?

Oh and i tried both the beta and debug-beta builds. Same. 

So, a log file would be useful to see if anything is not working properly  Log file from the debug-beta would be best

Will this mod allow successfull landing of capsules that are not being actively tracked?? biggest issue i have is automatic destruction of capsules that should survive landings. for example a separated capsule with parachute pre-staged kept aligned to retrograde by mechjeb will always crash if it reenters while in space center or tracking station. I have lost several ships because of this inability to automate landings

No, for that you want Stage Recovery.

This mod is intended to have you land each staged section.

For all, I'm going to be out of town until Sunday evening, with little or no access online.  If I don't see any error reports by Sunday, I'll be releasing this as a full release at that time

7 hours ago, Mikeloeven said:

Will this mod allow successfull landing of capsules that are not being actively tracked?? biggest issue i have is automatic destruction of capsules that should survive landings. for example a separated capsule with parachute pre-staged kept aligned to retrograde by mechjeb will always crash if it reenters while in space center or tracking station. I have lost several ships because of this inability to automate landings

You need Stage Recovery for that, this mod won't do that

So, i found a couple of bugs: 

1. FMRS window and the hide UI button (F2) 

You can "toggle" where the FMRS window is visible. I dont know how to explain it otherwise. 

Steps to reproduce: 

- Open FMRS window 

- Press F2 

- Press F3 

- Press F2 again 

The FMRS window is now visible when the rest of the UI is hidden, and invisible when the rest of the UI is visible. 

This can be reversed by doing the F2/F3/F2 combo again.

I'm guessing the Plugin doesnt actually check if the rest of the UI is visible, but just if the user pressed F2. 

So its state gets toggled whenever the UI gets enabled by something other than F2. Same problem with the escape key.

2. FMRS kills Science 

I suppose this is because i'm using Galileo planet pack and the science definitions all have different names from stock. 

It looks like FMRS isnt adding the appropriate Science { } blocks to the ResearchAndDevelopment Scenario block in the savefile.

Example; something like this should be added to the Scenario block after running an experiment on a vessel: 

Science
		{
			id = surfaceSample@GaelSrfLandedTundra
			title = Surface Sample from Gael's Tundra
			dsc = 1
			scv = 0.25
			sbv = 0.300000012
			sci = 9
			cap = 12
		}

So whenever i'm doing science on a dropped stage in a new situation that is not already in the Scenario section, the Science{} block wont get added after returning to the main craft and i'm getting zero science after recovering the dropped stage. 

This results in Error messages like these: 

[ERR 02:14:19.985] [Research & Development]: Experiment in mk1pod has scienceSubject crewReport@GaelSrfLandedTundra defined, but no such subject exists.

[ERR 02:14:19.988] [Research & Development]: Experiment in mk1pod has scienceSubject evaReport@GaelFlyingLowTundra defined, but no such subject exists.

Exact steps to recover: 

- Launch vessel with separable stage with science into a new situation, which you havend received science for before

- Decouple stage

- Switch to stage via FMRS 

- Land stage, do science

- Return to main mission and do whatever 

- Upon recovering your dropped science-stage, you get 0 science. Error message above. 

Logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcimt4gavhlezor/FMRS_science.txt?dl=0

I tried to keep it simple, but KSP still managed to produce 32.000 lines of logs...

3.  Doesnt automatically return to main mission after recovering dropped stage

What i mentioned earlier. 

- Launch vessel 

- Drop stage

- Go to stage via FMRS 

- Land stage 

- Hit KSPs "recover vessel" button 

- You end up on your space center screen and nothing further happens. Expected behaviour is automatically jumping back to the main mission from the space center screen.

Logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/80teiwlsh79a668/FMRS_ReturnToMain.txt

Again 30k-ish lines. Lots of clutter from other mods apparently. :)

I can work around all of those problems but i thought it would be worth reporting :wink:

By the way... Thank you for picking up all these mods. Thats really cool! 

6 hours ago, Hacki said:

- Launch vessel 

- Drop stage

- Go to stage via FMRS 

- Land stage 

- You end up on your space center screen and nothing further happens. Expected behaviour is automatically jumping back to the main mission from the space center screen.

I think the intended use it to fly the main stage all the way to orbit, then jump back to the booster stages and land them one at a time, but don't recover them, just land them.  Once all the different parts of the vessel are in a safe spot then you start recovering them. 

14 minutes ago, eberkain said:

I think the intended use it to fly the main stage all the way to orbit, then jump back to the booster stages and land them one at a time, but don't recover them, just land them.  Once all the different parts of the vessel are in a safe spot then you start recovering them. 

Yes this works but have you watched:

Those videos are the only reason i expect this functionality. :) 

Edited by Hacki

9 hours ago, Hacki said:

3.  Doesnt automatically return to main mission after recovering dropped stage

- Launch vessel 

- Drop stage

- Go to stage via FMRS 

- Land stage 

- You end up on your space center screen and nothing further happens. Expected behaviouris automatically jumping back to the main mission from the space center screen.

I agree with this, been playing with FMRS for quite a while and I think this would make better sense.

Also, I agree that you've done a great job reviving a old but awesome mod!

It looks like something weird happens with the vessel switching. When I'm flying the returning stage, the view gets apparently unfocused (changing view does nothing, nor does to attempting look around with mouse or arrow keys) and rotated 90 degrees. http://imgur.com/a/VlrMO

Looking at the debug log, this seems to be triggered by the original vessel being destroyed or unloaded, which also seems to cause a bunch of NREs in other mods, which seem to not have caught the vessel switch. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qid50jqqc8q22c4/output_log.txt?dl=0

To summarize the current issues:

1. FMRS window and the hide UI button (F2)

• Steps to reproduce: 
  • Open FMRS window 
  • Press F2 
  • Press F3 
  • Press F2 again 

I've verified the bug, will fix in next release

2. FMRS kills Science.  

Please test this with stock, not with Galileo Planet Pack.  I can add compatibility with GPP later, but need to know that stock is working first.

3. Doesn't automatically return to main mission after recovering dropped stage

• Launch vessel 
  • Drop stage
  • Go to stage via FMRS 
  • Land stage 
  • Hit KSPs "recover vessel" button 
  • You end up on your space center screen and nothing further happens. Expected behaviour is automatically jumping back to the main mission from the space center screen.

I've verified.  I did notice that going to the tracking station and then going to the vessel in flight resumed from where it was.  I also assume you are doing manual recovery, not automatic, please confirm.

4. It looks like something weird happens with the vessel switching. When I'm flying the returning stage, the view gets apparently unfocused (changing view does nothing, nor does to attempting look around with mouse or arrow keys) and rotated 90 degrees. http://imgur.com/a/VlrMO.  Looking at the debug log, this seems to be triggered by the original vessel being destroyed or unloaded, which also seems to cause a bunch of NREs in other mods, which seem to not have caught the vessel switch. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qid50jqqc8q22c4/output_log.txt?dl=0

New Release, 1.2.0.5-rc

• New icons courtesy of @EmbersArc
  • Fixed F2 bug
  • Fixed issue with returning to main mission after recovering dropped stage

Probably also fixed the issue with the loss of science, need confirmation

Also probably fixes the vessel switching, but again, I need other people to test.

New release located here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FMRS/releases/tag/1.2.0.5-rc

I just tried the new version a couple times, I'll test it some more tomorrow. It seems better, but not quite fixed. On my first try, I crashed into the water (my fault), and a few seconds impact, the same issue with the view shifting and the kerbals appear to be killed in F3 happened again. The jump back to mission button was grayed out, and the only way out of the scene was to go back to the space center. When I did that, I jumped back to the main mission.

After that attempt, I tried again, but after staging, the buttons to switch to the previous stage was greyed out and couldn't be clicked.

So, definitely seems to be moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting that issue that I believe is a vessel switching issue. I tried to fly back to KSC, and just before touchdown, the view become unfocused again, I couldn't move the camera, and looking at F3 showed the Kerbals in the other vessel as dead.

Any more info I can provide? Anything I should try to get from the debug version?

2 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Unfortunately, I'm still getting that issue that I believe is a vessel switching issue. I tried to fly back to KSC, and just before touchdown, the view become unfocused again, I couldn't move the camera, and looking at F3 showed the Kerbals in the other vessel as dead.

Any more info I can provide? Anything I should try to get from the debug version?

If you could, a video would be helpful, along with the log file from that run.

thanks