Win Prizes and Explore New Languages: Localization Pre-release out on March 16th!

UomoCapra

10 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Resisting the urge to make snide remarks about announcing super-secret things we all already knew about and actually getting a little bit interested in the contest. Question:

...it's not really clear from the wording of that part--is the Kerbal in the figure the customized version (and the image is just an example), or will they all be generic male Kerbals with just a custom flag and name?

I think that's just a template of what you can expect, except the one for the winner will be personalized to look like whatever you like

This is really great!

A great barrier for new players that aren't native english speakers is the language. With this more players will be able to play and more importantly LEARN about many things from the "rocket science" world (more like explosions world tbh) and although people were expecting more on this announcement please take note that localization is a really huge effort. It's almost writing the game from the beginning. Each hard-coded string had to be re-coded and the texts appearing on the menus and etc.

This will only improve the game from now on, and SQUAD can focus on squashing bugs and implementing features from now on.

And from me, a self-taught english speaker, I say thanks SQUAD, we know this wasn't easy, but have to be done :)

~Renan

Just now, Lupi said:

I think that's just a template of what you can expect, except the one for the winner will be personalized to look like whatever you like

Yep, that's right. The idea is to Kerbalize you (or the person in the photo you send us), then make a figurine of it :)

1 minute ago, Art3misa said:

Yep, that's right. The idea is to Kerbalize you (or the person in the photo you send us), then make a figurine of it :)

that sounds pretty awesome honestly

Badie - please could I have a quick sanity check on the contest?

"Satire: A genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government, or society itself into improvement."

Do you really want satire? It doesn't really seem to fit the spirit of the game or these forums somehow, although perhaps that's just me. We don't really have much to satirise either for that matter but I guess folks will find something.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Pesterenan said:

...people were expecting more on this announcement please take note that localization is a really huge effort.

Rocket engines probably take a bit of effort, but I wouldn't expect Squad to hype up the fact that they will be in the next KSP release.

A pre-release on March 16th is definitely earlier than I expected! What I wonder is, is the localization part of a new KSP version (like 1.3?) or will it be some kind of optional addon hence "localization pack"? Will I be able to change languages in the options menue or during installation? Will the localization pre-release include bug-fixes and other things which could potentially break mods or will it focus on the translations only? And will it be as usual be available through Steam? So many questions^^

6 minutes ago, KSK said:

"Satire: A genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government, or society itself into improvement."

Do you really want satire? It doesn't really seem to fit the spirit of the game or these forums somehow, although perhaps that's just me. We don't really have much to satirise either for that matter but I guess folks will find something.

Thanks.

This announcement perhaps?

Just now, KSK said:

Thanks.

I think they want silly and whimsical stories of the kerbalverse, perhaps parodying real-world space history and news.

4 minutes ago, Pesterenan said:

This is really great!

A great barrier for new players that aren't native english speakers is the language. With this more players will be able to play and more importantly LEARN about many things from the "rocket science" world (more like explosions world tbh) and although people were expecting more on this announcement please take note that localization is a really huge effort. It's almost writing the game from the beginning. Each hard-coded string had to be re-coded and the texts appearing on the menus and etc.

This will only improve the game from now on, and SQUAD can focus on squashing bugs and implementing features from now on.

And from me, a self-taught english speaker, I say thanks SQUAD, we know this wasn't easy, but have to be done :)

~Renan

Exactly! The scope of what is honestly, a long overdue feature for any game that vies for a global release can be lost on people who already know english, whether born in an english speaking country, one that teaches it in school, or self-teaching. It probably took all hands at times to get these things working, and now that those hands aren't poring over keyboard layouts or the intricacies of language and how it affects software and text display we can see some serious bugsquashing. Even during this, there were reports of bugfixing; they fixed the runway, which is great!

Kerbal is a released, post 1.0 game, and it released without support for other languages. Physics glitches and so on can stuff it, we live in a global world where I can be friends with people from the netherlands, russia, and other such places. As such, language support and localisation are really important for a game that SQUAD want to see played all over this blue marble of ours.

17 minutes ago, RW1984 said:

Hype train derailment

I won't even argue with this.

9 minutes ago, KSK said:

Thanks.

Presumably the word "Parody" should be used instead.

Just now, LukasKerman said:

A pre-release on March 16th is definitely earlier than I expected! What I wonder is, is the localization part of a new KSP version (like 1.3?) or will it be some kind of optional addon hence "localization pack"? Will I be able to change languages in the options menue or during installation? Will the localization pre-release include bug-fixes and other things which could potentially break mods or will it focus on the translations only? And will it be as usual be available through Steam? So many questions^^

Yes, it is part of a KSP version, but as a pre-release this is 1.29 (not 1.3 yet). We will announce more Localization stuff before March 16th, then we will focus on future developments :) (good news for those not too excited with new languages :p). 

Just now, Art3misa said:

Yes, it is part of a KSP version, but as a pre-release this is 1.29 (not 1.3 yet). We will announce more Localization stuff before March 16th, then we will focus on future developments :) (good news for those not too excited with new languages :p). 

Wait, you guys aren't going for 1.2.3? I'm shocked!

So you want me to write a piece of satire in just 300 words? Oh man. I don't know what to say about this. I mean 300 words are barely enough for a scientific article and such a piece of literature doesn't even need to worry about playing with words.

How to sum up the contest rules? Maybe this way?

Difficile est, satiram non scribere....

Edited by something

1 minute ago, Art3misa said:

Will you announce that the seams in the ground have been fixed?

1 minute ago, Lupi said:

Wait, you guys aren't going for 1.2.3? I'm shocked!

Localisation is The Big Thing though! You said it yourself, so why are you shocked that they would agree with your view of Localisation being The Big Thing and pushing it as 1.3?

Just now, Jivaii said:

Localisation is The Big Thing though! You said it yourself, so why are you shocked that they would agree with your view of Localisation being The Big Thing and pushing it as 1.3?

I mean, if they're gonna call it 1.29, 1.2.3 sounds much cooler.