Win Prizes and Explore New Languages: Localization Pre-release out on March 16th!

UomoCapra

12 minutes ago, KSK said:

Badie - please could I have a quick sanity check on the contest?

"Satire: A genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government, or society itself into improvement."

Do you really want satire? It doesn't really seem to fit the spirit of the game or these forums somehow, although perhaps that's just me. We don't really have much to satirise either for that matter but I guess folks will find something.

Thanks.

Changed the text to avoid doubts - it has to be a comedy article :)

1 hour ago, Jivaii said:

This announcement perhaps?

It would be an obvious target. One of the reasons I thought I'd check if satire is actually required or desired. :) 

1 hour ago, Lupi said:

I think they want silly and whimsical stories of the kerbalverse, perhaps parodying real-world space history and news.

That does seem more likely.

1 minute ago, Lupi said:

I mean, if they're gonna call it 1.29, 1.2.3 sounds much cooler.

1.29 is the pre-release though, 1.3 will be the actual release. Maybe they couldn't get localisation for 1.2.3 and had to go to 1.29 and 1.3?

Will there be any way to abstain from having to download all the additional resources for localization packages that I will never use?

A lot of programs have the options to download "Language" packs as options as to not bloat the initial distribution size/update patch size.

8 minutes ago, Art3misa said:

Yes, it is part of a KSP version, but as a pre-release this is 1.29 (not 1.3 yet).

8 minutes ago, Lupi said:

Wait, you guys aren't going for 1.2.3? I'm shocked!

They're even skipping 1.3 and are going straight to 1.29!!! Must have been a lot of localization iterations...

On a serious note though; @SQUAD the localization update is meant mostly for people that don't own the game yet. Hyping your community (which members have the game already) for a feature which mostly doesn't concern them AND you already disclosed is not ok at all...

Edited by Yakuzi

6 minutes ago, Art3misa said:

good news for those not too excited with new languages :P

I'm not sure exactly who you thought would be excited. 

If someone is reading this forum then they already have KSP and get along well enough with it in English to be interested enough to read here an announcement of super-duper new stuff. So not many of these folks are going to be excited about language localisation.

Those that might be attracted newly to the game because it is to be available in their first language aren't here yet to get excited.    

Which leaves just those getting excited about the competition. 

All aboard the Hype Train, or as google translate probably inaccurately tells me...

所有在炒作火车

すべての誇大車列車に乗る

Все на борту Hype Поезд

¡Todo a bordo del Tren Hype!

Edited by GregroxMun

6 minutes ago, Antonio432 said:

Indeed. Also I hope 1.3 isnt just localization. There are seams to correct.

The devblogs noted that there were some tweaks to text and the UI (because of the localisation, if i recall), and those big seams in the runway have been fixed!

according to @JPLRepo, at least. I presume the runway fixes will be in the prerelease?

1 minute ago, GregroxMun said:

¡Todo a bordo del Tren Hype!

This is why I love Spanish. You can take a guess and you're right the majority of the time. Although I can speak it a bit anyway so I might be a bit biased on that.

Edited by Spartwo

Well, I'm excited for new languages. I've done i18n/l10n before, and I'm curious to see how SQUAD does it and how it will work for mods. Plus it will mean new people joining up with their crazy moon language that I won't understand.

2 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

This is why I love Spanish. You can take a guess and you're right the majority of the time.

I actually did take a spanish class a few months ago. I barely passed, but it did look about right to me. No clue about the other ones.

Edited by GregroxMun

At the very least, I'm happy for all of the folks around the world that will have a better experience playing KSP due to the localization effort. And the chance to win a custom made official Kerbal modeled on yourself is a treat I'll admit.

Ok, maybe it's not my dream update, but it's not bad on it's own. I do think (with constructive criticism in mind) that Squad, as a marketing company, should be careful to not conflate marketing contests with features. Some people like the former or can take it or leave it, but more people were expecting the latter.

30 minutes ago, KSK said:

Badie - please could I have a quick sanity check on the contest?

"Satire: A genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government, or society itself into improvement."

Do you really want satire? It doesn't really seem to fit the spirit of the game or these forums somehow, although perhaps that's just me. We don't really have much to satirise either for that matter but I guess folks will find something.

Thanks.

Well you can write it as you want, the idea is that it has the feeling of the game on it :D

Just now, Foxster said:

I'm not sure exactly who you thought would be excited. 

If someone is reading this forum then they already have KSP and get along well enough with it in English to be interested enough to read here an announcement of super-duper new stuff. So not many of these folks are going to be excited about language localisation.

Those that might be attracted newly to the game because it is to be available in their first language aren't here yet to get excited.    

Which leaves just those getting excited about the competition. 

We are well aware of that :). 

This pre-release is just the beginning. Just as the post says: Stay tuned!

Hyped or not, good things are coming for all. 

1 hour ago, UomoCapra said:

• To participate, you will have to post your article in this forum thread.

Given the amount of chatter the thread will generate perhaps it would be better to either break-out the submissions to a different thread or pm the submissions to <insert receiver here> with the subject "kerb-mag contest". Just to keep them from getting lost. 

I wonder if a successful entry would count as being formally published?

Here's mine 

Kerbals rescued from jool

“Finally some blue” says Jeb Kerman 

This kriday kerbals jeb bill and Bob returned to kerbin in a huge fireball after being rescued from jool after 5 years in joolian orbit. 5 years ago kerbin was devastated by the failure of all the lv-n nerv engines on the odyssey when trying to manoeuvre for an encounter with pol. Data from the craft shows that the nuclear core shorted out from overheating. Stranded in space for three years until the rescue vehicle arrived the kerbals survived off snacks and dried fruit from a greenhouse. Jeb described the experience boring and “needed more SRB’s”. Bill had built makeshift greenhouses with glass salvaged from the lander and landing struts. Bob had brought back enough science to determine that jool was not in fact made of guacamole. But the most exciting discovery was yet to come. Using the  onboard telescope Bob found a solar system with 3 possibly habitable planets. The planets are much bigger that kerbin but if not made of kerbium a rare high density material that all planets around kerbol are made of could support life. 

I am so, so glad KSP is being localized. I have no disappointment about that and I understand it had to be a terribly hard job. Localization is hard anyway, this involves technical language that can be hard to get right even your native language and even by experts sometimes. It certainly seems like a far harder task than a typical localization effort, not even mentioning all the coding it took.

I am just disappointed that this announcement wasn't about the plans for 1.3, which were hinted at being in the works months ago now. Just hoping they'd throw us a bone and give us some idea about what direction they're even thinking of going now that they have a mostly new dev team and so many issues have been wrapped up in 1.1 and 1.2.

Edit: Or is the naming scheme changing now and they're calling the pre-release of 1.3 "1.2.9"? Cause we didn't get, "1.1.9" before "1.2," etc. It's always just been a pre-release version of "1.2" or whatever. Because if 1.3 is just bug fixes and localization, then I'm actually super disappointed, and there doesn't seem to be much interesting on the horizon at all anymore with this game. Maybe it really is dying.

Edited by JohnF