Win Prizes and Explore New Languages: Localization Pre-release out on March 16th!

UomoCapra

The contest was not the secret project I was hoping for (a comet would've been cool, but maybe I can mod an asteroid), but what the heck, here's my entry:

How Do Astronauts Wear Their Helmets?

The second most asked question to all astronauts beyond how do they go to the bathroom in space, is how do they wear their helmets? The helmet is a vital component of an astronaut’s spacesuit. It keeps the air we breathe in, and the vacuum of space out. Its visor offers unparalleled visibility while blocking the harmful rays of Kerbol. But as any kerbal can tell you, our arms are too short to reach the tops of our heads, so just how do the astronauts wear their helmets? Do they use mechanical arms? Are the helmets equipped with Reaction Control System (RCS) thrusters? Do they get help? This investigative journalist attempted to find out.

To test the mechanical arm theory, while touring Kerbal Space Center, I examined the insides of the crew capsules used by the astronauts as well as the Hitchhiker habitat and MP-LG-2 Mobile Processing Lab. There were no indications of mechanical arms mounted to the insides or tucked away in some storage drawer. Instead, storage containers held items like trash, garbage, and rubbish. Next I looked at one of the spacesuits used by the astronauts, and sure enough, the helmet had no RCS thrusters that let the astronaut pilot it and dock it to the suit collar. The only possible conclusion is that they get help. That would make sense for the three-kerbal Mk1-2, but what about the Mk1? Or the Mk3 cockpit, when only one astronaut is aboard?

“It’s classified,” is all Bill Kerman, one of the "Original Four" astronauts, would say on the subject. Why, do they use alien technology from some crashed flying saucer to wear their helmets? Unfortunately, for now, the answer remains a mystery.

- Mike Kerman, KBC News

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, steuben said:

not quite silly procedural question. do the published articles become property of KSP parent corp under standard work for hire or someting else? i'm cool with it either way if something i post makes it. but i've worked with people who have been really touchy about such things.

The text is your own and you will appear as the author . We will be only asking for permission to publish this article in the magazine.

Even though I believe the announcement didn't really live to its hype, especially considering the few translated languages as of now (hope more will come, don't forget you have a bunch of people having nothing better to do than hang out here or crash rockets that will be willing to help bring KSP to their own language), I like the idea of the contest. I'll probably submit an entry if I don't forget in the meantime (I already know that if I do this seriously I'm so going to curse the 300 words limit, but whatever).

1 hour ago, Lupi said:

Localisation really is a Big Deal™, even if you're not one of the people who might immediately appreciate it. Don't knock them for treating it like one, just because it's not another planet or feature on the scale of commnet and other such things.

But what exactly did they expect from an english speaking Forum, with a community majority that speaks english?

I agree, the fact that the game is now localized is great news. But they were trying to build hype without substantial features.

Two things bother me the most. First, THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT that was pre-announced a week beforehand is something that we know they have been working on forever? That's neither a surprise nor anything interesting for quite a large userbase. You know who does pre-announcement announcements?

NASA did one to announce the press conference about the TRAPPIST-1 system.
SpaceX did one to announce the announcement  of the first Trans-Lunar flight in 46 years.
SQUAD did one to announce the announcement of a localization patch without any additional features, and yet another marketing constest.

I ask you this: Why make such a fuss about this? 

The second thing is the SOOPER SECRET FEATURE NOONE KNOWS ABOUT. What is this? Are we in Kindergarden? I think I did this kind of thing in Kindergarden. BTW, I also have SOOPER EXCITING NEW THING in development that will revolutionize the world, but I am not gonna give you any hints to what it is, no screenshots, and no timeframe. Are you now hyped for my sooper exciting new thing?

Mentioning "I have been working on a secret feature" is not teasing. Teasing is when you actually give something, some information about the real product. But this is just annoying.

Let's be clear about this: this is about Publicity, Marketing and eventually about money. Building ridiculous hype about nothing does not help the actual game or the players (probably not even the Devs), it doesn't make anyone better off except increasing their sales.

39 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

It's 1.2.9 for Pre-Release just to clarify @Art3misa earlier.
1.3 will be the full release.
And there are other bug fixes, not just Localization. As has been discussed in the KSP weekly's of recent weeks.

SECRET CHANGELOG LEAKED FOR 1.3:

ChangeLog:
* Fix runway seams

The end.

Edited by Kobymaru

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Yey, now I actually might be triggered to put pen to paper (erh, well, fingers to keyboard) and record something instead of just talking to myself while playing :)

Lol so I am not the only one

Just now, JPLRepo said:

Anyone so inclined will be able to do their own mod language pack. It's completely moddable.

I hope some good enterprising souls with fluency in Latin, Esperanto, Pirate, and Klingon will take up the call.

Actually, that brings up a serious question: Are language packs linked to ISO-639 locale codes in any way? Or can they be arbitrary? Maybe I should just wait till the prerelease...

14 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I hope some good enterprising souls with fluency in Latin, Esperanto, Pirate, and Klingon will take up the call.

Actually, that brings up a serious question: Are language packs linked to ISO-639 locale codes in any way? Or can they be arbitrary? Maybe I should just wait till the prerelease...

Now I need this in Vulcan, Klingon, Romulan, Bajoran, and Breen. I'll enjoy Latin and Esperanto as well.

53 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Here's my entry...

So, one pleasant afternoon at the KSC, an astronaut was walking by the VAB when he comes across a tour group.

One Kerbal at the back of the group was shouting at his young son.

“Hurry up, Jebediah with the big head!” the Kerbal berated his son. Smack! Smack! He struck the poor young Kerbal around his undeniably big head.

“The bus is waiting, Jebediah with the big head!” Smack! Smack! He struck the boy again, even harder.

The astronaut was concerned. He walked up to pair.

“Sir, why must you beat your little boy so?”

The Kerbal told a sad tale.

“Once upon a time, my lovely wife, Klamidia, was wonderful to make love to. She was so young and inexperienced. It was like trying to fit a Mk3 fuel tank into a Mk2 cargo bay…

Then she gave birth to Jebediah with the big head!” Smack! Smack!

I cant tell if you're serious or not lol

37 minutes ago, Frybert said:

Folks, if you're going to post something, then post SOMETHING. Don't just string random, unrelated words together. Thank you.

To be clear, don't do what the contract system does? 

1 hour ago, Foxster said:

Here's my entry...

So, one pleasant afternoon at the KSC, an astronaut was walking by the VAB when he comes across a tour group.

One Kerbal at the back of the group was shouting at his young son.

“Hurry up, Jebediah with the big head!” the Kerbal berated his son. Smack! Smack! He struck the poor young Kerbal around his undeniably big head.

“The bus is waiting, Jebediah with the big head!” Smack! Smack! He struck the boy again, even harder.

The astronaut was concerned. He walked up to pair.

“Sir, why must you beat your little boy so?”

The Kerbal told a sad tale.

“Once upon a time, my lovely wife, Klamidia, was wonderful to make love to. She was so young and inexperienced. It was like trying to fit a Mk3 fuel tank into a Mk2 cargo bay…

Then she gave birth to Jebediah with the big head!” Smack! Smack!

You got some tars on ye boyo! 

53 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

So you made an announcement of a date to make an announcement of a date?

Announcement date-ception! That's some cutting edge marketing at work. Note the subtle use of ALL CAPS in the title. 

It is clear a great deal of work has gone into the locolisation work I agree with those that are disappointed.

Why make us wait for the 'exciting stuff'? Just tell us! 

Edited by Majorjim!

Today's big announcement: "More localization for the Nth time in a row!"
Tomorrow's devnote: "Did you hear yesterday's great news?"

Hypetrain derailed. Casualties over 9000.

BRB, sending a colony to Duna because this planet isn't working out anymore.

My "entry"

Note: read "entry", as "wastebasket fodder"

“Performed as Expected”

By Otto Kerman

Last week, Kerbal history was made, as one of our one proudly carried out the first failed EVA. Cern Kerman successfully exited his spacecraft, and failed spectacularly in his goal of carrying out a range of scientific tasks, including a test of new mobility technology, dubbed “the jetpack”. Kerbal Chronicles spoke to Cern shortly after landing.

OTTO: So, Kerbonaut Kerman, you were unable to complete your assigned tasks?

CERN: That…...ummmmm…….is correct.

OTTO: Would you mind elaborating on that, erm, very eloquent response?

CERN:  Ummm…….sure. I was trying to……..attach myself to the PMD [Personal Mobility Device], and that sucker weren’t having none of it. I worked up quite a sweat, as you might imagine, since we didn’t have any damn drinks in the suits, and my visor just wouldn’t quit fogging up.

OTTO: So it was at that point you aborted the planned EVA?

CERN:  Actually, no. I……..uhhhh……lollygagged for a while. I wrestled with that sumpoodle of a jetpack a while, then I just kinda sat. Funny, I was as calm as I ever been, and Kerbin’s whizzin’ by at a million miles an hour. The sight was……..amazing.

OTTO: You weren’t afraid of, “rapture of the heavens”, which supposedly befell your comrade Ed?

CERN: Hell, no. I don’t put stock in no doctor. They got more “opinions” than a fly’s got eyes. Anyhow, I just kinda…….(large snore)...........spaced out for a while. I guess I really got sucked in, ‘cause I didn’t hear Gene down in Control yelling for me to get back in.

OTTO: I imagine that caused your crewmate a deal of anxiety.

CERN: Damn straight (laughs). I guess it falls to Buzz Kerman to take the next shot.

OTTO: Thank you for speaking with us.

KERBAL SURVIVES 200 METER FALL DURING INITIAL SPACEFLIGHT

Two hours ago, Kerbal I launched on the first Kerballed suborbital mission. Launch proceeded nominally, likely due to the fact that Commander Jebediah Kerman was locked out from control access, until just after capsule separation. When given control of the capsule spacecraft, he expended 95% of his capsule’s spacecraft’s RCS propellant firing all the translation thrusters at the same time, and then locked the SAS to prograde, draining the battery and causing him to lose all control over his capsule spacecraft.

He survived a prograde re-entry, only to be informed by Val, in her capacity as CAPCOM, that Mortimer took the parachute home last Friday to patch it and forgot to replace it before liftoff. Gene immediately started flipping through procedure books, while Jeb flipped the only unlabeled switch in the capsule, which ejected the capsule spacecraft hatch around 10,000m. Gene grabbed Val’s headset and told Jeb “At this point, you might as well jump.” Jeb undid his harness. At 350m, according to the camera on his pressure suit, Jeb shifted his weight to roll the capsule spacecraft, and fell jumped out of it. He hit the runway of the Old Airfield head-first, and miraculously survived. Upon leaving the hangar and encountering Jeb, recovery crew leader Gus Kerman reported significant swelling of both his head and ego, remarking “I’ve never seen a head quite that big!” after the post-flight medical check.

As a result of the flight, Wernher is investigating other ways of parachute-less spacecraft recovery, Mortimer is working on the finance team, Jeb is in rehab, Bill is looking for ways to reduce the size of Jeb’s head, and Gus is putting the finishing touches on Kerman II.

Walt Kerman

Public Relations Peon, Kerbal Space Program