KSP 1.2.9 and 1.3: Localization Update Stationary Train Consist

Whirligig Girl

Just now, Nergal8617 said:

To be fair that is more an issue with mods leaking memory.  I run a modded install and can play literally for hours, as in 8 or more hours straight, without crashing.

I have experimented with completely unmodded installs and left the VAB running and the game always crashes eventually. Mods seem to just speed it up. Although I haven't tested in 1.2.2. 

This is getting a bit off-topic, but crashes seem to come in waves. When I first boot the game up, it will crash within an hour, then I can usually go quite a while without any crashes. I've documented it in the past but never bothered to hunt down the source, because I'd rather play than spend hours doing a binary mod search; I mean, it's one of those things where, when you remove mods, it takes longer to crash, and when it takes longer to crash, you have to play longer and longer without half your mods to see what happens..... etc. etc. 

I'm not sure that there's anything squad can do to help modders keep the game cleaner, but the way I see KSP is as a canvas for what's really turned into an exceptional modding community. Squad can really farm out content creation to the community while improving the canvas, and that's really what I'm getting at.

1 minute ago, drhay53 said:

I have experimented with completely unmodded installs and left the VAB running and the game always crashes eventually. Mods seem to just speed it up. Although I haven't tested in 1.2.2.

Huh.  That is strange but come to think of it I don't believe I have ever tried that.  I now have a strange desire to test it and see what happens.

Sätter mig som vanligt i bardelen av restaurangvagnen och beställer en pilsner.

[TRANSLATION: As usual, I'll sit at the bar in the restaurant carriage and order a pilsner]

(It is the localisation train after all ...)

Edited by Deddly
Added translation

5 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

Huh.  That is strange but come to think of it I don't believe I have ever tried that.  I now have a strange desire to test it and see what happens.

I know a lot has been done to clean up the stock game so it may not happen anymore. Leave it overnight and see what happens :)

4 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Sätter mig som vanligt i bardelen av restaurangvagnen och beställer en pilsner.

(It is the localisation train after all ...)

Sure but the driver is an American English speaker. Enjoy your synthahol.

14 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

I've done 8h+ sessions (yes, I'm a bit sad) in my lightly modded game and recently forgot the game (in VAB view) when leaving for an out of town meeting and found it still running 16-17h later.

The gpu was running a bit hot, but it survived ...

6 minutes ago, Abastro said:

4 to 5 languages...

For 'Localization' update.

..What?

Translating things is a lot of work. There's the whole game +KSPedia. It really is a lot of text. Especially when you want to get it all right and with the same context.

1 minute ago, Veeltch said:

Translating things is a lot of work. There's the whole game +KSPedia. It really is a lot of text. Especially when you want to get it all right and with the same context.

Yeah, I know. Though, every games with lots of scripts I see has more than 5~6 languages from the beginning.

They can even get lots of help from the community.

4 minutes ago, Abastro said:

They can even get lots of help from the community.

That's exactly what they did. Still, there's someone who has to proofread everything, check the spelling and all that. And not every game has something like KSPedia.

Just now, Veeltch said:

And not every game has something like KSPedia.

Yes. That's why I said this:

8 minutes ago, Abastro said:

every games with lots of scripts

I'm certain that it's much harder to translate scripts than something like KSPedia.

Also, how much degree of proof-reading is needed for a game? I think it doesn't have to be thorough.

I suspect that codebase changes for localization took most of the time, since it needs many design decisions and considerations.

Just now, Abastro said:

Also, how much degree of proof-reading is needed for a game? I think it doesn't have to be thorough.

If you want it to be coherent at all it had better be thorough.  In general more time is spend editing and proofreading than is spent writing in the first place.

I might've missed something in the localization posts. Has anything been mentioned about whether or not the game's strings will be available in files in the game directory? For instance, many games, to handle localization, just include one file for each language listing a bunch of game string IDs, with the translations set in next to them. This framework lets people very easily make their own translations, which could later be included in the game. If it's just hardcoded, that's...unfortunate.

Edited by NovaSilisko

Just now, Nergal8617 said:

If you want it to be coherent at all it had better be thorough.  In general more time is spend editing and proofreading than is spent writing in the first place.

Yes, I know. In my opinion, that's also what community can take part in.

3 minutes ago, NovaSilisko said:

I might've missed something in the localization posts. Has anything been mentioned about whether or not the game's strings will be available in files in the game directory? For instance, many games, to handle localization, just include one file for each language listing a bunch of game string IDs, with the translations set in next to them. This framework lets people very easily make their own translations. If it's just hardcoded, that's...unfortunate.

We are told that it will be possible for users to make our own language packs.

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

We are told that it will be possible for users to make our own language packs.

Ah, that's great then. That will help substantially.

Edited by NovaSilisko

7 minutes ago, Abastro said:

Yes, I know. In my opinion, that's also what community can take part in.

Not sure I'd want my proofreading or editing done by the average internet user :0.0:.  This community is better than most however.

Edited by Nergal8617

5 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

Not sure I'd want my proofreading or editing done by the average internet user :confused:.  This community is better than most however.

Sorry, I misunderstood definition of community at the moment. If I remember correctly, they were looking for assistance for localization, which is what I meant when saying about 'proofreading'.

Edited by Reusables

3 minutes ago, Abastro said:

Sorry, I misunderstood definition of community at the moment. If I remember correctly, they were looking for assistance for localization, which is what I meant when saying about 'proofreading'.

I suspect my particular brand of humor just doesn't translate well.  Yes they did get assistance from the community with localization and I'm quite sure a lot of it was simply proofreading to make sure the translations were correct.

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Both sides of the strut can be moved now

I can't tell you how many times I've felt like this was needed.

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Heat shields darken correctly.

Now this is cool. I've always been slightly annoyed by the perfect heat shield. 

While the localization doesn't affect me, I have to say that it must have been a huge project. Good job to the devs.

7 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

I suspect my particular brand of humor just doesn't translate well.  Yes they did get assistance from the community with localization and I'm quite sure a lot of it was simply proofreading to make sure the translations were correct.

Oh. :P My bad.

(Apparently, English is not my first language;)

EDIT: Also I'm nearly retarded at picking up humor.

Edited by Reusables

9 minutes ago, Abastro said:

Oh. :P My bad.

(Apparently, English is not my first language;)

That's not a bad thing.  Honestly, even though I can tell it's not your first language, I have to say I have an easier time reading and understanding your posts than I do the posts of some people who only speak English.

EDIT:  Besides, my sense of humor is questionable and tends towards sarcasm and snark anyway.

Edited by Nergal8617