KSP 1.2.9 and 1.3: Localization Update Stationary Train Consist

Whirligig Girl

34 minutes ago, 55delta said:

I just read today's patch-notes. I'll let someone else add in the details, but there were some more things that might be added in 1.3. Yes, they called it 1.3. So I am slightly hyped. :)

Yep. Ambient light adjustment, the Sentinel telescope and some kind of a nebula image will be added into the game. Max-hype!

A bittersweet thing for those who use many mods, as it usually takes weeks or months for all of them to be brought up to date (if they ever do).... specially for steam users as the client will update your game automatically if you forget to uncheck that.

What I usually do when a new version is about to come out, is I copy my heavilly modded game elsewhere in my C: and I play from there. Then I clean install the new version in the usual steam location and just check the news and wait for my mods to follow up. Until then I rule it unplayable.... just got too used to spacey, kerbalism, TAC, near future etc.....

So when are these versions coming to Steam? I am REALLY looking forward to not having to worry about my poor poor rovers' wheels. Blew out one in a boat transport this morning, felt like a waste of time transporting it across the runway just to have the wheels get damaged on a terrain crack ON THE RUNWAY! Can't even take off(assuming I build a plane that actually flies) without a chance of the wheels to blow up

57 minutes ago, AntherJebediah said:

So when are these versions coming to Steam? I am REALLY looking forward to not having to worry about my poor poor rovers' wheels. Blew out one in a boat transport this morning, felt like a waste of time transporting it across the runway just to have the wheels get damaged on a terrain crack ON THE RUNWAY! Can't even take off(assuming I build a plane that actually flies) without a chance of the wheels to blow up

The first post claims the pre-release will happen on the 16th. 

1 hour ago, SniperPilot said:

Do you feel like this will break mods? Isn't it just localization and some minor bug fixes? Were mods that broken between 1.2 and 1.2.2?

Hard to say until we see the internals of just what got tinkered with, but just as pure speculation, I'd guess that it probably will break a lot of mods.

Very few mods broke between 1.2 and 1.2.2, because those changes were mostly just bugfixes.  1.3, on the other hand, represents a major internal refactoring by Squad to make things localizable.  Given what I've seen of KSP's accessible API (i.e. what modders like me use), I wouldn't be at all surprised if they need to reorganize some pieces of that, which would certainly break mods.

However, speaking both as a modder, and as a professional software engineer who has had to work with localizing software (and also to get this somewhat back on-topic, since this is the Hype Thread, after all), I have to say that I'm cautiously, optimistically stoked.  From what I've observed in localizing before, the main thing that comes up when refactoring a code base for localizability isn't so much about language itself per se, but rather by taking code that used to hard-code a bunch of stuff, and moving it to be easily configured and changed.

Which gives a (completely unfounded, unsubstantiated-by-evidence) frisson of optimism to the modder in me:  basically, "wouldn't it be nice if certain things became moddable, which were previously unmoddable due to being hard-coded?  Thus potentially opening up more modding possibilities?"

^ I have no evidence or even rumors to substantiate the above unfounded optimism.  Just wishful thinking at this stage.

But if it did.... gosh.  :)

6 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Confirmed: Unicorns are the first NPC animals added to Kerbin.  Additionally, Ore has been renamed to pixie dust.

Finally!

Have been asking them for months!!

I hope the Unicorns are evil and aggressive, trying to pierce wheels where ever they get a chance!

Edited by dr.phees

On 12 March 2017 at 2:45 AM, Snark said:

Hard to say until we see the internals of just what got tinkered with, but just as pure speculation, I'd guess that it probably will break a lot of mods.

Very few mods broke between 1.2 and 1.2.2, because those changes were mostly just bugfixes.  1.3, on the other hand, represents a major internal refactoring by Squad to make things localizable.  Given what I've seen of KSP's accessible API (i.e. what modders like me use), I wouldn't be at all surprised if they need to reorganize some pieces of that, which would certainly break mods.

However, speaking both as a modder, and as a professional software engineer who has had to work with localizing software (and also to get this somewhat back on-topic, since this is the Hype Thread, after all), I have to say that I'm cautiously, optimistically stoked.  From what I've observed in localizing before, the main thing that comes up when refactoring a code base for localizability isn't so much about language itself per se, but rather by taking code that used to hard-code a bunch of stuff, and moving it to be easily configured and changed.

Which gives a (completely unfounded, unsubstantiated-by-evidence) frisson of optimism to the modder in me:  basically, "wouldn't it be nice if certain things became moddable, which were previously unmoddable due to being hard-coded?  Thus potentially opening up more modding possibilities?"

^ I have no evidence or even rumors to substantiate the above unfounded optimism.  Just wishful thinking at this stage.

But if it did.... gosh.  :)

I don't expect there's a lot that will impact mods to be honest. And actually.. Yes.. A lot more stuff is potentially moddable.

Oh and I gotta say. I'm picking up Spanish and re-learning Japanese. So if you are into learning languages it's pretty handy.

Да здравствует шумиха поезд!

On ‎03‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 1:50 AM, GregroxMun said:

That's beautiful.

It's not beautiful, it's ugly. It's anything but not Russian language.

Even the tech terminology differs seriously between languages. I hope it's not a sample of the fourthcoming KSP translation :)

19 hours ago, dr.phees said:

Finally!

Have been asking them for months!!

I hope the Unicorns are evil and aggressive, trying to pierce wheels where ever they get a chance!

I trust going for the oceans isn't much of a respite with all the carp and what not?

7 hours ago, Rosco P. Coltrane said:

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I didn't mean that. What I mean is that it's a lot harder to translate something technical that what it seems. :)

You're fine - that was the whole joke. Someone mentioned translating orbital mechanics, so I typed a very short version of how to orbit into Translate. I have no idea if it even makes sense.:P

So guys, what do you think this secret feature is? I am super excited about the update, maybe because I never actually tried to play Asteroid day mod. Also for me it will be fun to try to play in my native language (Russian), though I am playing games in English from the age of 10 I guess. Started from Diablo II, then Civ III and so on. The only game I guess I played in Russian was Space Rangers, but this is just because it was developed in Russian first. Anyway, really looking forward to learn rocket science in Russian, hopefully all the terms are in correct form :)