KSP 1.2.9 and 1.3: Localization Update Stationary Train Consist

Whirligig Girl

Out of all the things that need to be done and fixed, they're only adding new languages and the ability to move both sides of a strut (hardly something anybody needs)... It's a cool feature I guess but it hardly should be considered an "update" as much as a "patch". I would enjoy it very much if they would just dedicate a whole update just to bug fixes and fixing all the shotty work like all the ugly rocket parts, the half-assed aerodynamics "overhaul", the resource system, etc. etc. etc.

8 hours ago, bigguy4u said:

Out of all the things that need to be done and fixed, they're only adding new languages and the ability to move both sides of a strut (hardly something anybody needs)... It's a cool feature I guess but it hardly should be considered an "update" as much as a "patch". I would enjoy it very much if they would just dedicate a whole update just to bug fixes and fixing all the shotty work like all the ugly rocket parts, the half-assed aerodynamics "overhaul", the resource system, etc. etc. etc.

A patch is an update.

Otherwise I don't see what's wrong with aerodynamics. It's more forgiving than far, sure, but that's the point. Ressource system was already overhauled in one of the more recent patches, if I remember correctly.

It is disappointing not to get a rocket overhaul, though. Well, I'll just continue using vens stock revamp.

On 4/11/2017 at 1:50 PM, bigguy4u said:

Out of all the things that need to be done and fixed, they're only adding new languages and the ability to move both sides of a strut (hardly something anybody needs)

Localization is hard. Language is hard. Your incorrect use of the word "only," an insult to those who have spent countless hours on localization over the last few months, is a testament to that.

So what bugs are actually getting fixed? Memory stutter? Texture seams? Physics bugs? Ships exploding on game load? Fuel tank bottoms floating in space around ships? What to expect? If this is just this history stuff, localization and new struts it's not worth updating, considering it will break most mods for sure. At this point for me, it's the mods that make the game enjoyable. If I have to go back to vanilla game I'd rather stop playing.

3 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

So what bugs are actually getting fixed?

Terrain seams and runway seams are the standouts for me.

4 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

If this is just this history stuff, localization and new struts it's not worth updating, considering it will break most mods for sure.

No one's forcing it on you.  My main install is still a heavily modded 1.0.4.  1.3 will finally have fixed all my issues with the game introduced post 1.0.5.

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

Terrain seams and runway seams are the standouts for me.

No one's forcing it on you.  My main install is still a heavily modded 1.0.4.  1.3 will finally have fixed all my issues with the game introduced post 1.0.5.

I have the Steam version. I can avoid the pre-release but I doubt I can opt out of the final 1.3 when it comes out.

I can understand the localizations but hyping two-ended struts is somewhat off-putting for players who suffer from countless bugs and two-ended struts is nowhere on my list of things that are needed in this game.

2 hours ago, Kerbital said:

I have the Steam version. I can avoid the pre-release but I doubt I can opt out of the final 1.3 when it comes out.

I can understand the localizations but hyping two-ended struts is somewhat off-putting for players who suffer from countless bugs and two-ended struts is nowhere on my list of things that are needed in this game.

You can copy your folder of KSP and move it out of steam.  There's no DRM.  It'll only update if it's where Steam thinks it should be.

Edited by klgraham1013

5 hours ago, Kerbital said:

So what bugs are actually getting fixed? Memory stutter? Texture seams? Physics bugs? Ships exploding on game load? Fuel tank bottoms floating in space around ships? What to expect? If this is just this history stuff, localization and new struts it's not worth updating, considering it will break most mods for sure. At this point for me, it's the mods that make the game enjoyable. If I have to go back to vanilla game I'd rather stop playing.

Somebody did the math: What feature will generate the most money, for the least amount of work.
Fixing bugs doesn't make money, the only ones who care have already bought the game.
Performance improvements: ditto.
Same goes for the garbage collection stutter.

So translations it is. Despite it being something no-one here (AFAIK) was actually asking for, it might attract some new customers.

I can only see it as a cash grab, TBH, to get more people to buy the game... Just like the disastrous console ports.

I might update for the surface seams. Maybe. If it doesn't introduce a bunch of new bugs and break all the mods, like every other update has.
Otherwise, the only thing that interests me is fixing the game engine, which Squad apparently will not do.
Game Over. Bring on KSP2, preferably with 100% less Unity and a physics engine that is up to the task.

Edited by steve_v

My understanding was that 1.3 and the Expansion were separate things. The history expansion comes with new models and missions and it's optional. 1.3 is a bug fix. Oh, and yeah. I tried the pre-release and out of 67 mods I have only less than 10 work. It's a total disaster pretty much. So unless 1.3 brings major bugs fixes and the final release breaks  fewer mods, I'll be sticking to 1.2.2 for a while.

I can only see it as a cash grab, TBH,

This makes it sound bad. Since Squad is a company, they need money. Without selling an abonement, they have to find new markets. We cannot expect them to bring out updates for free without having something to pay people with. Sure, Squad itself isn't without flaws, but morally questioning them for earning money seems a bit strange in itself.

This is the thread for hype about the 1.3 release, which includes some quality-of-life improvements, bug fixes, improved runways and - most of all - localisation into four new languages.

If anyone would like to discuss the Making History expansion, the correct place to talk about it is linked below, so please take that conversation there, thanks :).

41 minutes ago, dr.phees said:

This makes it sound bad.

It's this "most of all" bit:

21 minutes ago, Deddly said:

most of all - localisation into four new languages.

IMO, bugfixes and performance come first. Quality over quantity.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

It's this "most of all" bit:

IMO, bugfixes and performance come first. Quality over quantity.

If I didn't speak english, I would actually be much more interested in a localised version. If only to finally experience the bugs first hand!

Also: THE HYPE!!1!

12 minutes ago, dr.phees said:

If I didn't speak english, I would actually be much more interested in a localised version. If only to finally experience the bugs first hand!

Also: THE HYPE!!1!

There is quite a bit of possibility that you don't speak neither of the four languages.

2 hours ago, Abastro said:

There is quite a bit of possibility that you don't speak neither of the four languages.

Yes. A 60% chance. And that's worldwide.

English covers about 11%, Chinese alone comes to about 16%, more than doubling the user base. All together the new languages cover roughly 30% of the world population. (This excludes foreign language speakers and the groups might overlap, but we should expect KSP to have roughly twice the userbase or more now.)

And now the changes to KSP will allow easier integration of more languages, probably even for modders.

I think this is quite a change.

My guess for a good next Language: French.

EDIT:

The numbers are based on the estimated L1/L2 speakers of:

Englisch: 400/400 (L1/L2)

Spanish: 570/90 (L1/L2)

Russian: 260 (L1)

Chinese: 1200 (L1+L2)

Japanese: 125 (L1+L2)

(all numbers in million people)

Edited by dr.phees
Added numbers

9 hours ago, dr.phees said:

Yes. A 60% chance. And that's worldwide.

English covers about 11%, Chinese alone comes to about 16%, more than doubling the user base. All together the new languages cover roughly 30% of the world population. (This excludes foreign language speakers and the groups might overlap, but we should expect KSP to have roughly twice the userbase or more now.)

And now the changes to KSP will allow easier integration of more languages, probably even for modders.

I think this is quite a change.

My guess for a good next Language: French.

EDIT:

The numbers are based on the estimated L1/L2 speakers of:

Englisch: 400/400 (L1/L2)

Spanish: 570/90 (L1/L2)

Russian: 260 (L1)

Chinese: 1200 (L1+L2)

Japanese: 125 (L1+L2)

(all numbers in million people)

It would be better to evaluate in playerbase, but it was still good estimate.

I just want to point this out: There should be many people worldwide who can read easy English. But it would be better for those to have Localization for their first language.

My complaint is that the 'Localization Update' only covered 4 languages. This is rather suspicious, because it looks like they are specially chosen to expand userbase as much as possible in minimal effort. (As many games I saw had at least 6~8 languages at the beginning)

(I won't complain even if my first language would never be added)

2 hours ago, Abastro said:

Just realized that one of the four was Russian, which should be more related with history of space program than profit. Sorry about that.

Still, what about the suspiciousness?

Will the names of the characters change with a different language? Will "Jeb" become "Hans" and "Val" become "Rosamunde" in the german localization?  Honestly, I got into KSP when there was only english available as a language and I will continue to play it in english. I don't think that the distinct humor and irony that is part of KSP and that I have come to enjoy over the past few years can easily be translated into another language. And especially german translations of video game content do more often hurt than entertain the player (I fondly remeber "Inca 2", back in 1993 - all voice overdubs were done by one single guy with a south-german accent. It was hillarious for the first two minutes, but annoying throughout the rest of the game).

I do see the need for localization when KSP being used as an educational tool, since it is probably easier for a young or younger audience to read and follow instructions and explanations in their native language.

Edited by lodger