KSP 1.2.9 and 1.3: Localization Update Stationary Train Consist

Whirligig Girl

2 hours ago, dr.phees said:

Still, what about the suspiciousness?

I kind of lost it now.

It may be something about difference between potential players and general playerbase who mam buy this game... but I can't recall exactly.

Edited by Reusables

Localization is nice...but what about a real multiplayer expansion? I will be willing to pay a montly suscription to Squad if they can finally do a proper multiplayer expansion.

In fact I will more than happy to work as developer for them if at some point they decide to invest on it.

On 17-4-2017 at 4:56 PM, dr.phees said:

Yes. A 60% chance. And that's worldwide.

English covers about 11%, Chinese alone comes to about 16%, more than doubling the user base. All together the new languages cover roughly 30% of the world population. (This excludes foreign language speakers and the groups might overlap, but we should expect KSP to have roughly twice the userbase or more now.)

And now the changes to KSP will allow easier integration of more languages, probably even for modders.

I think this is quite a change.

My guess for a good next Language: French.

Well I actually mocked up a plugin to change the language to another language. This can support new languages like French, German, Italian, Polish, etc. It doesnt support localized images yet.

Pluginhttps://github.com/KSP-Localization/SwitchLanguage

I don't have any supported languages atm as I'm currently translating it alone. Any help is appreciated though on the following spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ie7dQrYke2uVg7w16R1ij7qR8zGxnp9EARF6cZvWfQ8/edit?usp=sharing . If I need to add a language, send me a PM and I'll add it to the spreadsheet.

Edited by Olympic1

It's been nearly two months since the train left the station.  We have begun to ration meals as supplies run low.  The heater next to my bunk sputters and spurts as we climb the snow covered peaks of the Dunian poles.  I pray my Ma and Pa do not worry.  Even still, I know this journey may be my last.  The silence of the passengers is more frightening than any scream I have dreamt in my most horrifying of dreams.  What will be of us if...when we arrive?  Will the flame still burn, or flicker and fade as the torch which hangs above me?  May I grasp the hope that still remains.  May the end be near.  May our hearts be joyous once again.

- author unknown - a passage from a diary found aboard the Kerbal Space Program v1.3 Hype Train

Edited by klgraham1013

On 30/04/2017 at 4:27 PM, klgraham1013 said:

a passage from a dairy found aboard the Kerbal Space Program v1.3 Hype Train

Don't consume dairy you find on a train, it might be off!

edit: One wonders, though. It is eerily quiet...

Edited by dr.phees

8 hours ago, W. Kerman said:

needs more data.

Indeed.  Considering length of experimentals per update.  Would be interesting to see.

1.0, of course, was guaranteed to have a huge thread.

I'm to lazy to do any of this, of course.

10 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

They're adding 4 languages.  That's pretty massive.

not if your a native English speaker -- guess most of the new content will be in making history anyway.

Just now, peter1981 said:

not if your a native English speaker -- guess most of the new content will be in making history anyway.

True, but saying it's a small update is ignoring the work that has been done.

I also think people need to to start considering that KSP might be close to finished in Squad's eyes.

3 hours ago, Corw said:

There is nothing that exciting announced to be hyped about.

I know. If you have seen any of my posts since 1.2.2 was released you will know I am of the opinion real work on the game stopped then, there will be some tidying up and increasing market share work, like localisation and DLC packs, but work on the game in the manner we have known for years has stopped.

They were very reluctant to say that the localisation pack is 1.3, I think they only did that as a result of pressure about 1.3. They don't want to admit there will not be a 1.4...

We will not see `1.4` in the weekly now I think.

Like you say, there is not much reason for hype when there is no change to the actual game.

Even the driver of the hype train's location is `Running out of Hype Coal. Train is now coasting.`

23 hours ago, peter1981 said:

Not even if you a not native English speaker - most players in KSP know English enough.

I'd prefer something more...tangible in update. New planets. New environmental features as a life support. Influence of environment - Greens and equipment must overheat on Eve for example. And so on.

1 hour ago, John FX said:

I know. If you have seen any of my posts since 1.2.2 was released you will know I am of the opinion real work on the game stopped then, there will be some tidying up and increasing market share work, like localisation and DLC packs, but work on the game in the manner we have known for years has stopped.

They were very reluctant to say that the localisation pack is 1.3, I think they only did that as a result of pressure about 1.3. They don't want to admit there will not be a 1.4...

We will not see `1.4` in the weekly now I think.

I'm pretty sure that such a decision will depend on the future profit of the 'Making History' expansion. 

What I would like to see is that if at some point in the future the decide to stop KSP development, at least they make all the code open source so the modders community can take over it. 

For me KSP mods development is now much more important that any development from Squad. 

1 hour ago, Kvakosavrus said:

Not even if you a not native English speaker - most players in KSP know English enough.

I think you've missed one vital part.

Most current players know English enough.

Localization opens the game for all the potential players who don't think they do.