Hi all,

I've developed a Kerbalism profile, and i'm getting ready to update it but want to simplify the process for its installation.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for how I set up a MM patch to adjust Kerbalism's settings.cfg?  I've looked through the MM wiki and I'm so lost!

I want to change the line: Profile = default
to Profile = simplified

Thanks for your help!

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
politeness

55 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Try:

@Kerbalism:BEFORE[Kerbalism]
{
	@Profile = simplified
}

Never used Kerbalism myself, can't say whether this takes or not.

Thanks for the suggestion, it didn't take unfortunatly.

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

Try:

@Kerbalism:BEFORE[Kerbalism]
{
	@Profile = simplified
}

Never used Kerbalism myself, can't say whether this takes or not.

Yeah, basically you are running this patch BEFORE kerbalism, so when kerbalism loads, it is overwriting your patch. If you want to make a change to the kerbalism cfg, you will need to use FOR or AFTER

54 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yeah, basically you are running this patch BEFORE kerbalism, so when kerbalism loads, it is overwriting your patch. If you want to make a change to the kerbalism cfg, you will need to use FOR or AFTER

The order in which base configs and patch configs get applied and processed is by far the most confusing thing for me in MM. I've had instances (like in RealPlume) where you need to target the patch before the mod does its stuff, or it will not take. And then there are other mods, like here, where you need to load it after the mod does its stuff. :confused:

Hopefully someday I'll be able to wrap my head around it :P

Edited by Streetwind

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Never use FOR unless you are writing a mod.

Misuse of FOR is the most common way to break mods.

27 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Never use FOR unless you are writing a mod.

Misuse of FOR is the most common way to break mods.

He is writing for a mod, and it's linked in the OP? Proper use of FOR won't break anything.

@Kerbalism:FOR[HisModName] won't hurt a thing. In fact I would highly recommend he uses FOR so that in the off chance that someone leaves his cfg installed, it won't run unless his mod folder is there.

id say an uneducated use of FOR can break mods.  that goes for AFTER, FOR,  BEFORE,  NEEDS, etc...

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

He is writing for a mod...? Proper use of FOR won't break anything.

@kerbalism:FOR[HisModName] won't hurt a thing. In fact I would highly recommend he uses FOR so that in the off chance that someone leaves his cfg installed, it won't run unless his mod is installed.

FOR will always run his cfg.  It will also run configs that want his mod installed.

If actually creating a mod, FOR is fine.  If depending on a mod, use NEEDS.  They are not synonyms: FOR is unconditional, with side effects.  NEEDS is conditional, no side effects.

Proper use of FOR won't break anything, true.  Improper use breaks seemingly-random things in other mods.  :wink:  I have no problem with @kerbalism:FOR[HisModName] - but :FOR[Kerbalism] is dangerous.

FOR should not be used for ordering.  It has one intent: To create a mod.

20 minutes ago, DStaal said:

FOR will always run his cfg.  It will also run configs that want his mod installed.

If actually creating a mod, FOR is fine.  If depending on a mod, use NEEDS.  They are not synonyms: FOR is unconditional, with side effects.  NEEDS is conditional, no side effects.

Proper use of FOR won't break anything, true.  Improper use breaks seemingly-random things in other mods.  :wink:  I have no problem with @kerbalism:FOR[HisModName] - but :FOR[Kerbalism] is dangerous.

FOR should not be used for ordering.  It has one intent: To create a mod.

Yes, FOR[Kerbalism] could very well cause issue. in this case, the OP has created a new kerbalism profile and is serving it up as a stand alone mod, so FOR[HisModName] would work fine. you are absolutely right though about FOR always running. My mistake. NEEDS:[HisModName] would also be a good option and would be what I would use more than likely.

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.