So how do you get around Duna's atmosphere speeding your ship up to ludicrous speeds?

As the title says. No matter what I seem to do, even if I approach the planet vertically at 100m/s, the very moment I hit around  10-25,000km, I'm rocketed to 3,000m/s by the re-entry effects. How do you get around this? More rockets? I don't get low enough for parachutes, as I go from 25,000km, to straight into the ground almost instantly when I hit that atmoshpere...

Well, I figured it was pretty straight forward. I'm a noob, and was wanting to know how people who know how to play the game land on Duna with that seemingly impossible to get through atmosphere. How do YOU manage that? Like I said in the OP, even while tip-toeing straight down, (verticle, no tragectory or anything, just literally straight down towards the planet from like 100,000km up) at 100m/s or less, once I hit that atmosphere, I get sucked straight into the planet at 3,000m/s like it's a vaccum and I'm some hairball. What's that stuff made from anyway? Do people just bring a lot more rocket power? Is there anyway to set a parachute to deploy from above 5,000m?

Well, what you describe does not happen in a stock game, so I have to assume your install is broken in some way @Omnifarious.

You have provided no information, we don't know what your craft is like, or what your angle is, or why you are having this trouble when other players are not.

So I moved your thread to tech support, I'd like to help if your install is broken so you don't have this trouble, if it turns out to be fine then it may be technique and I can move this to the gameplay questions forum.

As for what I do, I don't expect to lose much speed via aerobraking from a Duna flypast, Duna's atmosphere is very thin and there's no appreciable resistance above about 10km from the surface.

But even with such a low periapsis I often need to fire the engines a bit before it is safe to open the drogues, and a bit more before I can open the main chutes, but I don't find my ships accelerating to ludicrous speeds, just that they don't slow down as much as I want.

You'll gain speed from gravity as you descend, this is the same on any other planet, and not from atmospheric effects, but as the air is so thin the braking from aero is less than the gains from gravity until you get really low.

It sounds like you're  trying to aerobrake in one pass from solar orbit, try setting a periapsis lower than 10km and be ready to use your engines to assist, or punch through Duna's atmo, you should be in a elliptical orbit after that and will have an easier time of it on the next pass.

Unless Ike scoops you up of course.

If you upload your files I and others can check to see there's nothing wrong with your game, just in case you're having more trouble than you should be.

Hope this helps.

30 minutes ago, Omnifarious said:

I approach the planet vertically at 100m/s, the very moment I hit around  10-25,000km, I'm rocketed to 3,000m/s by the re-entry effects.

This is not normal. re-entry effects slow you down, they don't speed you up. And there is nothing about Duna that could accelerate your ship 2900 m/s in a few km.

If your game is modded, try it with all the mods uninstalled. If it's not modded (or continues) submit it as a bug report, with the applicable logs and save games.

If the game has been updated by dropping in the new files from the zip, instead of transferring saves etc to a new install, it's possible you're using an old settings.cfg, partdatabase.cfg and physics.cfg with outdated values.

If you rename these files KSP will make new ones based on the current defaults, and this has solved issues of Kerbins atmosphere failing to decelerate vessels in the past, so it may be what you need for your issue with Duna.

After looking it up, I guess my game is so messed up because I'm playing on some like year old outdated build that was badly ported to Xbox from Flying Tiger, that the KSP devs apparently aren't working with anymore. (I wonder why, haha.) At least I apparently avoided a really game-breaking bug that was erasing literally everyone's progress for a few months in the beginning. I guess no one plays this version of the game. (Looking at the achievements list for every player who has ever played KSP on Xbox, 99% of the achievements say "0.02% of players have gotten this achievement." Even the very first thing you do in the game, (launch anything from KSC) only shows 40% of players getting it. Looks like most didn't even make it onto the runway/launchpad! 

A real shame, since there's nothing like this on console, and it's such a fun game. (besides all of the lag) I wonder if we'll ever get another update? The last one was in like October or September, apparently, and it only fixed the save issues for some people, and addressed nothing else. 

Edit: Apparently 0% of players have gotten the fly by of Kerbin achievment. That one must be bugged.

Edited by Omnifarious

I'm sorry to hear that Omifarious, I don't know if I can help much with the XBox version as there are so many issues with it, and Squad is now working with Blitworks to develop a new port based on 1.2+

So rather than an update, a replacement is planned and in development, and it will replace your existing purchase on the Xbox store.

I wish I could give you a estimated release date but I cannot, but I think I can say that the work is progressing at a steady and rapid pace.

As for landing on Duna, I think your first idea will be the best, more rockets, some retro SRB's or extra droptanks may be what you need, so you can get into Duna orbit without having to aerobrake, making your final descent easier.

3 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

I'm sorry to hear that Omifarious, I don't know if I can help much with the XBox version as there are so many issues with it, and Squad is now working with Blitworks to develop a new port based on 1.2+

So rather than an update, a replacement is planned and in development, and it will replace your existing purchase on the Xbox store.

I wish I could give you a estimated release date but I cannot, but I think I can say that the work is progressing at a steady and rapid pace.

As for landing on Duna, I think your first idea will be the best, more rockets, some retro SRB's or extra droptanks may be what you need, so you can get into Duna orbit without having to aerobrake, making your final descent easier.

Yeah that's my guess to get around the bug. I'll just need enough fuel to maintain a verticle descent at around 5-50m/s to avoid getting "grabbed" by the atmosphere. Must be a messed up number somewhere in this build, so that instead of providing drag, Duna's atmosphere actually does the opposite, lol!

I'm glad to hear they're working with a new company to rebuild the port. I could sorely use that wheel upgrade that's in 1.2! 

7 hours ago, Omnifarious said:

As the title says. No matter what I seem to do, even if I approach the planet vertically at 100m/s, the very moment I hit around  10-25,000km, I'm rocketed to 3,000m/s by the re-entry effects. How do you get around this? More rockets? I don't get low enough for parachutes, as I go from 25,000km, to straight into the ground almost instantly when I hit that atmoshpere...

Try a powered decent with some parachutes, or lighten your load and set your parachute to deploy higher up. It usually works, though I have a solid 60 percent success rate with Duna missions XD

Hope I helped!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.