[1.2.2] Kargantua System [v0.2a] - the first PROPER black hole system in KSP

Artyomka15

Spoiler

(OUTDATED)

This mod adds the kerbalized version of the Gargantua System from movie Interstellar to your game!

The main feature of the mod is the proper black hole/pulsar effects providen by a separate from Kopernicus plugin.

So, let's take a look at the system!

Kargantua - a supermassive black hole at 1573560320km distance from Kerbol.

Gravity - 100g

Radius - 80 000km

QCpkdpP.png

wRIVdom.jpg

Limmer - a large tidally locked Laythe-like planet. The 90% of the surface on this planet is covered with vast ocean, only The Great Volcano is exposed.

Gravity - 1.4g

Radius - 480km

2l5dALu.png

KpsNYXC.jpg

FvpxtRe.png

xqwdpc1.png

Namm - an icy planet without oxygen atmosphere but surprisingly covered with pine trees...

Gravity - 0.62g

Radius - 339km

KW9UTEY.png

v0Tr2XA.png

r2bGab1.jpg

Pantagrool - a rapidly spinning pulsar

Radius - 30km

Gravity - 35.8g

GGJDqH9.png

Admun - a desert planet with oxygen atmosphere

Radius - 280km

Gravity - 0.125g

q9Z0KUM.png

uk5dAGx.jpg

XdyUByu.jpg

Jopa - a small asteroid that sometimes passes very close to Kargantua

Radius - 5km

Gravity - 0.0001341g

BqmyUKh.jpg

Included mods:

-Kopernicus

-Scatterer

-EVE

DOWNLOAD:

The mod: https://spacedock.info/mod/1255/Kargantua System

[WIP] The volumetric disk patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdsfwedxv5c25ji/VolumetricDisk.zip?dl=0

The license is CC BY-NC-ND 3.0

The DiskController plugin source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dicbc5wfrhlay2j/DiskController.cs?dl=0

If you like my mods then you can leave a small donation, it really helps me out!

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Changelog: 

Spoiler

v0.2a
-Completely redone disk and corona
-Added the duststorms, snow, lightning and auroras to the atmospheric planets (thanks to @Artem Kerman)
-Minor changes in planet properties
Completely redone Admun's surface
-Added descriptions for most of the planets
-Added an asteroid with very eccentric orbit that sometimes passes very close to Kargantua
-Added Scatterer sunflare for Kargantua
-Fixed the Kargantua SOI bug
-Kargantua is at 1573560320km distance from Kerbol now
-[WIP] Added the volumetric accretion disk

v0.2

-The effects algorithm is improved and became more optimized
-The BH effects are improved
-Fixed the strange overheat issue
-Added compatibility with EVE
-Added the Edmund's planet analogue

v0.1
-Initial release

Hope you liked it :) 

Edited by Artyomka15

@Artyomka15, Great looking black hole/pulsar/planet pack!  I did notice though, that with OPM installed, the Kargantua system and Plock/Karen have a chance of intersecting one another.  As mentioned in the OP, Kargantua orbits at 544 847490 XXX metres from Kerbol.  That is within Plock/Karen's orbit.

As a fun side, it also messed with a couple satellites I had flying to Duna somehow, and initiated a fly-by of the Kargantua System!  

So the short question is, can you (or me at my end) edit the config for the kargantua system to make it farther away?  

1 hour ago, smotheredrun said:

@Artyomka15, Great looking black hole/pulsar/planet pack!  I did notice though, that with OPM installed, the Kargantua system and Plock/Karen have a chance of intersecting one another.  As mentioned in the OP, Kargantua orbits at 544 847490 XXX metres from Kerbol.  That is within Plock/Karen's orbit.

As a fun side, it also messed with a couple satellites I had flying to Duna somehow, and initiated a fly-by of the Kargantua System!  

So the short question is, can you (or me at my end) edit the config for the kargantua system to make it farther away?  

If you ask me, this is the type of black hole you'd find at the center of the Kerbal galaxy, which Kerbol would be in orbit of, not the other way around. :wink:

There are, of course, plenty of planet packs that introduce multiple star systems so far away that you need a warp drive to reach them. You could take a look at their config files to see how they handle it, though most involve changing the origin star from Kerbol to something a truly mind-blowing distance away, and making Kerbol and any custom stars orbit that. If that's too complicated, just add a ton of zeroes to Kargantua's orbital distance. :P

EDIT: Looking at the figure in the OP, you probably wouldn't need to add more than one or two zeroes to clear Plock, but if you want to be realistic you'd add enough zeroes to move this thing light years away.

Edited by wadusher1

57 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

If you ask me, this is the type of black hole you'd find at the center of the Kerbal galaxy, which Kerbol would be in orbit of, not the other way around. :wink:

There are, of course, plenty of planet packs that introduce multiple star systems so far away that you need a warp drive to reach them. You could take a look at their config files to see how they handle it, though most involve changing the origin star from Kerbol to something a truly mind-blowing distance away, and making Kerbol and any custom stars orbit that. If that's too complicated, just add a ton of zeroes to Kargantua's orbital distance. :P

EDIT: Looking at the figure in the OP, you probably wouldn't need to add more than one or two zeroes to clear Plock, but if you want to be realistic you'd add enough zeroes to move this thing light years away.

Yes that would be moar realistic having the black hole at the centre.  There are numerous papers on those.  That said,  it's quite a cool little planet pack.

I have the Extrasolar mod too, and that star system is about 4 light years away (after someone gave me the numbers to edit its config).... in the neighbourhood of 75 689 999 738 400km away.  I'll take a look at that config, and then see what I can to with this one and maybe report back here.  It will be a day or 3 as I have a tonne of course work to do and this year, math does not appear to be my strong point.... Or one of my instructor's either.. :)

11 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Go to the GameData/KargantuaSystem and open Kargantua.cfg

then add some zeroes to this string

semiMajorAxis = 573560320000

20 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

That's amazing! Is it actually compatible with other planet packs?

3 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

How the foxtrot did you do that?!?!?!? :huh: SHOW ME YOUR WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly i have no idea how you made those rings. Is there something new in Kopernicus that I missed? @Thomas P.?

On 3.3.2017 at 4:19 PM, Artyomka15 said:

The main feature of the mod is the proper black hole/pulsar effects providen by a separate from Kopernicus plugin.

1 hour ago, electricpants said:

*Particle zooshing by*.

Haha.  Ok.  I'll have to look at Cryan one day.  I know for a while one of the Visual Effects mods added a particulate effect to Minmus.  I remember one of the early "Interstellar Quest" videos by @illectro (watch them if you get a chance - much of the complicated science involved in KSPI-E is explained in a fairly simple manner) had that.  

The new update is out!

Changelog:

-The effects algorithm is improved and became more optimized
-The BH effects are improved
-Fixed the strange overheat issue
-Added compatibility with EVE
-Added the Edmund's planet analogue

Edited by Artyomka15
Sorry for my english xD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.