Malin Space Program

Axilourous

This is my first ever [modded] career save game! I will put every mission log into this! This will be most likely not that detailed and boring

Mission 1: Simple Rocket

I created the save game, and because I can't do names, its called career(*sarcastically* yay, so exciting, best name ever, woo!) I went straight to Mission Control and accepted the Launch first vessel and scientific report from Kerbin stuff(watched videos to know to do that.) After, I went to the VAB, I made the flea rocket, the only thing you can make at first. Launch! It went like anyone would expect(I did check staging), went up, down, landed. Science! Recovered the vessel and got 25 science, plus he funds from the missions and world firsts! I got the first 2 upgrades in the R&D and the survivability upgrade!

Mission 2: Messier 1

Messier 1 is a rocket with reusable stages. Messier 1 is going to complete the testing of the "Swivel" Engine and Mk16 parachutes. So, it is impossible to test both in the same flight, so I will have to do two tests. It also has a thermometer, goo, and barometer. "Swivel" is the first contract. I now realize it is possible to do both, I get up to 30km and start falling to complete the mk16 contract. To complete it in time, I had to activate one parachute, then the other when I was slow enough. I decoupled the stage with the parachutes now deployed and activated the capsule parachutes. I did science about 400 meters above the ground and now wait at 4x speed to fall. Landed safely and now checking the engine stage, 62 meters above ground. Landed 1.5km away from Jeb. I gained 36.4 science from the recovery and 11 of it was from records, and contracts. Messier 1 is a success. With the science, I get the "General Rocketry" upgrade, and have 16.4 science points left, that I can't send.

Mission 3: Messier 2

Messier 2 is a rocket that does not have reusable stages, it has two radially attached science units that decouple and fall separately from the capsule. It is planed to get to past 70km and use the radial decoupler to complete two contracts. The rocket got to 120km, even with it flipping quite easily, and not wanting to be normal. It will fall and when I get to 75km, I will decouple the Science units, and hope that they don't burn. Time warped to far, then it turns out the science units where connected to the vessel, not decouplers. I switched the first stage engine for a "Swivel Engine" and reconnected the science units to the decouplers.

Messier 2.5 is the same rocket with some different things (see line above). It already has performance better than the Messier 2, with no flips at over 400m. 4km and still good. I am not doing a gravity turn as I won't have the fuel to get out of the atmosphere. Staged. 232km is the Apoapsis. I forgot to do High Atmosphere science, so I will launch science units separately. One at 75km and one at 60km-65km. Everything has survived reentry, but I missed the 70km mark and didn't complete a mission, will do it next time. Everything has survived landing, except any and all heatsheilds. I have gained 70.9 science! I get "Basic Science" and one other upgrade.

Mission 4: Messier 3

Messier 3 is the same rocket, with added science modules. 2 meters up I use the new Science Module thing and already will gain 17 science from it. 22 Science from upper atmosphere! 25 Science from Low Space. 6 science from Contract of radial decoupler. Jeb Dies.  Gonna take a break for now.

Edited by Axilourous

Messier 4 is designed to get a simple satellite into orbit around Kerbin with reusable Messier 1st & 2nd stages. I upgraded the VAB, and Launchpad to make it possible to make the rocket have science and able to deorbit. Launch is ready. I realize there is no SAS modules so I go to add some, the only SAS modules I have are the Mk 1 Command Capsule. Rocket Fails to launch, forgot to do some things, Added more fuel and some SRBs. First 30 second good, then I flip. Restart. The next launch goes 200% better. I get to an orbit, but not one I was expecting, I had so much dV, that I got into an elliptical orbit! I decouple the Probe and let it do its orbit, and I go back to sub-orbital and decouple my science. Now here is where it went bad, due to poor planning, I forgot a heatsheild one the command capsule, so It is stuck in orbit, with no more fuel(used to get capsule back to a more circular orbit.) I will have to pick up Jeb on another mission. My science drowned too...

Robin 1 is an aircraft with some 0.625m parts that are tweakscaled bigger. It is small, and is going to be used for Science at the KSC, Plains, and Mountains. I added Science Modules after the first launch... It does not take off without smooth ground, and I forgot I can't do airplanes, so I blew up and only gained 16 science. Not gonna do airplanes for a while

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.