To Duna with the space bar

I think it would  be amusing to see people try to reach duna with nothing but the space bar. You must post pictures/videos of your flight for proof.                 

Extra challenge: try not to use decouplers 

Edited by Jpstarry
Adding content

1 minute ago, Jpstarry said:

I've never made a post before, if it doesn't take to long can you give me a few tips

All the tips are in the guide :)

I suggest you see if you get frustrated by attempting this challenge yourself, you don't give much info, can a player use SAS or no? Are they just expected to tumble with no control?

I don't think you necessarily need to do something completely different. I have actually seen people do similar things to this before. Reach orbit by only pressing the space bar, reach the Mun by only pressing the space bar. They're interesting to see and tend to involve very clever engineering to pull off. Duna is much more difficult because of the interplanetary transfer but I very much doubt it's impossible.

As someone who's reasonably experienced with running challenges, I would, however, suggest a couple of things:

• Look at other challenge threads on the forums to get an idea of what works well and what doesn't. This is a simple challenge (in terms of the level of detail required to understand the goal) so take a look at how other challenges like that are run.
  • Try your own challenge (or at least something similar) before posting about it. With complicated challenges (such as my Doing It Constellation Style challenge) it can be enough to do a simpler mission a few times to have a good understanding of what's required to expand upon it for the complex challenge goals. For this challenge though, you probably should try the full task of going to Duna and back by only pressing the space bar. Since it allows no room for error and no fine maneuvering, it's going to be incredibly difficult, so you should try it yourself to get an idea of whether it's even reasonable to do (or, if it is doable, whether the satisfaction of doing it is worth the effort of fine-tuning your spacecraft as much as the challenge would need).
  • Try a couple of other, similar challenges to get an idea of how challenges in general work, and what works best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.