Auto Staging Challenge

We've all been there. Built the perfect rocket to get us where we need to go, put it on the launch pad and... the faring deploys, engines ignite, and our perfectly built payload burns up in atmospheric heating. You forgot to stage. Whoops.

Which is why I present the:

KSP Auto Staging Challenge

This challenge has two "Modes": Easy Mode and Hard mode.

Basic Requirements:

Your rocket must have 3 decouplers/separators (The ones from radial symmetry do NOT count, only one gets counted from radial)

Your rocket must have 1 SRB (Sepratrons DO count)

Your rocket must have 1 Liquid Fuel Engine (Monoprop engines such as the Puff do NOT count)

Your rocket must have enough fuel to fire said Liquid Engine for at least FIVE seconds (5) 

You MAY NOT use action groups

The entire process must be shown on video

On the video you must show your hitting of the "Reset" button below the staging stack

State ALL mods in submission

FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION, WITH THE SUBMISSION NEVER BEING CONSIDERED UNTIL YOU MAKE A NEW ONE AND CORRECTLY STATE MODS

You have been warned

Easy Mode:

The rocket must have a Kerbal in it

The rocket must be able to get out of the atmosphere

You must be able to get the Kerbal home safely

Bonus points if you get in orbit and back!

Hard Mode:

The rocket must have a kerbal AND an unmanned payload

Said payload must be self sufficient (Solar panels, RTG generators)

Rocket must get payload in orbit

Payload does NOT need to have science equipment

You must get the Kerbal home safely

There will be four Leaderboards:

*Notice: I will use your forum name*

Easy Stock

Easy Modded

Hard Stock  

Hard Modded

I will also give "achievements" to the funniest, best built, and achievements of the payload one deployed (Landing on the Mun, orbiting Eeloo, that kind of thing) 

Achievements:

*DISCLAIMER: This is meant to be funny, and to see how well people can cope with KSP's staging.

NO PRIZES WILL BE GIVEN OUT!!! Just recognition.

Edited by HobbitJack
Changing of rule

9 minutes ago, HobbitJack said:

You want me to remove that rule?

I'd definitely think about it - It seems to me at least that the challenge is how to get around not being able to stage by pressing space bar so action groups would just give you an alternative way of pressing space. 

I'd also do something to prevent people just melting the required bits off the bottom at launch then running a standard SSTO mission profile.  Have another look at your limitations, and also destinations.  I reckon people might surprise you with how far they can get without staging :)

SM

So I'm pretty sure this doesn't technically count, but it's undoubtedly a worst case staging scenario so maybe sign me up for an honorable mention. When I first read this, I thought it meant to put all rockets/decouplers on first stage, press the spacebar once and ignore the rocket while it makes it to space, which I've done on accident enough times I was able to replicate in style! I realize now, it means we should use the dreaded "reset" button I've never purposefully pressed and then actively stage according to whatever KSP wants? But then why are we trying to see how far we can get without staging? :confused: I got confused.

Hey look, I made a rocket! It's a 3 stager for delivering a Cupola to a space station at Laythe using a reusable Kickback cluster launcher. Despite the three stages falling apart and firing full throttle on the launch pad the rocket rises comfortably to space as 3 separate pieces, which stage automatically! I designed it so the difference in TWR of each stage would hold the craft together during flight, despite each stage actively accelerating on its own and the TWRs all wandering due to changes in pressure/stage-mass. Once the rocket finished separating and the craft was on its interplanetary trajectory, the worry worts at KSC said to abort to Minmus (read: It was late and I didn't really feel like doing the transfer), but the mission was otherwise a success. Just for fun, I returned the reusable booster safely to Kerbin, and our Kerbal should have plenty of deltaV to have a short tour of Minmus or even return straight home if they feel so inclined (read: because I don't think this quite constitues an entry, I decided to leave it to next time)

Anyways, it's kinda neat. just press space and go to space!

Thanks for the challenge!

Edited by Cunjo Carl
wording changes

Ok, here's my attempt at stock hard mode. Pure stock install, no mods whatsoever.

I wasn't happy with the sepratrons being counted towards the single SRB limit; I would've preferred to add a sepratron to deorbit the fairing base instead of leaving it as debris. But I think I managed to keep to all the rules:

• Staging sequence reset before rolling out to pad
  • A single SRB engine (Thumper)
  • A single LFO engine (Terrier)
  • 3x decouplers (releasing the SRB stage, the LFO stage, and the fairing base)
  • 1x autonomous payload (satellite with probe core, docking ports, solar panels, batteries, RCS, and science instruments, delivered to stable 86x86km orbit)
  • 1x command pod that returns a kerbal safely from 86km orbit to the vicinity of KSC

Full Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/GLlZM

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwp3oyu6abtf57m/KSP122-ResetStager-1.mp4?dl=0 (83.4MB, you can see it in better quality if you download it first)

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/KSP-ResetStager-1

Some key snapshots:

Spoiler

sC2vSEc.png

Before hitting the staging RESET button...

TpSPIKP.png

Decoupler nr. 1 releases the SRB stage

UUU3WKT.png

Deploying fairing, antennae and solar panels manually

9ZzuCcB.png

Decoupler nr. 2 releases the empty LFO stage when still suborbital so it burns up in reentry

7uupnYk.png

Circularization and inclination are finalized with the payload RCS

y5vWMMq.png

Final payload delivery orbit reached

le6Yvns.png

Satellite undocks into delivery orbit

xGuwifd.png

Decoupler nr. 3 releases the fairing base (unfortunately it becomes orbital debris, since we're only allowed a single SRB and sepratrons are counted)

e2P0tuN.png

Using the pod RCS to initiate reentry

hn7jZ4t.png

Jeb is back home after payload delivery

Edited by swjr-swis
craft file link added

1 hour ago, rockets-don't-make-toast said:

wait, so can you only have one srb?

That's what it says in the requirements list:

On 3/6/2017 at 2:48 AM, HobbitJack said:

Your rocket must have 1 SRB (Sepratrons DO count)

It says 'must' and uses specific numbers for the engines and decouplers. In the case of the SRBs it even specifically mentions sepratrons will be counted towards the limit. I take that to mean the numbers given are hard requirements.

To contrast: it adds 'at least' about the five second fuel requirement. I interpret that to mean you are allowed to pack more fuel than the mentioned minimum (which makes sense, orbit would've been very unlikely otherwise).

3 hours ago, HobbitJack said:

If you had to ask, no.

So... you post a challenge with pretty restrictive rules, then don't respond to or judge any of the challenge entries made in over a week... and when you do return to your thread, all you add to your thread is this? @linuxgurugamer asked a legitimate question, since you did not specify what mods are or are not allowed, just "State ALL mods in submission" and you include modded categories in your leaderboards.

I guess the challenge died before it even started. Nothing to see here folks, move along... :/