Nuclear Powered Bomber Engine - Part Request

John FX

Found this video on Youtube about plans in the 50`s for a Nuclear Jet Powered Bomber. It`s around 45 minutes.

It seems like a semi-realistic (as in based on real world development, like the NERVA) way to get a jet engine on a planet with no oxygen which will not be too overpowered even though it would not run out of fuel for months. It appears they would be very heavy (80T) and not have a great amount of thrust for the weight although in the documentary they mention that modern tech would make the engine lighter and much more useable. I would imagine they may well be not suitable for Duna. My opinion is that if you can ship 1 or 2 80T engines to a planet you deserve to be able to use them.

I just wondered if anyone with more ability would be interested in making such a part?

The real world design had a nuclear reactor in the main hold that powered two engines but that may be too complex for KSP.

@John FX No need for a part request. A couple of mods already have you covered though these are all I know by name. From my experience they will perform just as you expect. They should all direct cycle engines though, except the last one.

• Eskandare's Themonuclear Turbines is all about it (but will likely contain some serious OP engines). I haven't tried this mod so my knowledge ends here.
  • Mk2 Stockalike Expansion has one. With Near Future Electric installed its built-in reactor, nuclear fuel supply and dedicated radiators become required, otherwise it only requires IntakeAtm. It's fairly strong at sea level on Kerbin or in greater atmosphere pressures and is rather weak on Duna.
  • Porkjet's Atomic Age mod also has a jet that looks just like the video's thumbnail. It's outdated...but not unusable. The engine here is exceptionally heavy but requires only IntakeAtm and likely no radiators (nuclear reactor modules didn't exist yet when this mod was created).
  • KSP Interstellar Extended, a sufficiently highly complex mod, has atomic engines separate from but dependent on nuclear reactors.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.