Jeb's new Hot Rod gives him a healthy glow

Though I meant to finish my 0.235 rescue mission before letting myself get started on 1.2, I couldn't help myself.

Just starting career, and haven't unlocked much in the way of super-sonics. This one on the Wheesly barely breaks the sound barrier.

It does run a little hot. As you can see Jeb is literally glowing with black body radiation.. Doesn't help I've got the cockpit adjacent to the engine.

Maybe I should add some radiators.

F85A84v.png

Here's the craft file with the added radiator (not yet Stock).  If you want to give Jeb back that healthy glow, just remove the radiator panel (below the cockpit).  If you want to give the thing quite a speed boost, remove the parachutes so it'll hit (almost?) mach 2.

P.S.  I don't think Jeb can get back in once he egresses.  The rear stabilizer blocks the port.  That's fine, I haven't unlock ladders yet, so he can't even get back up.  I've got a probe core in the trunk.  Shoot, I just realized I made this for testing my autopilot, so the current craft file has the kOS scrip module, so you'll need kOS.  I'll upload a version without it later.

Edited by Soda Popinski

46 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

How did you make him glow!?

The cockpit got really hot.  When I popped him out after landing, I was surprised to find he was red hot.  I wish I got the screenshot 10 seconds earlier, as he was glowing brighter.  After 5 seconds after the shot, he cooled off enough to stop glowing.

36 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

The cockpit got really hot.  When I popped him out after landing, I was surprised to find he was red hot.  I wish I got the screenshot 10 seconds earlier, as he was glowing brighter.  After 5 seconds after the shot, he cooled off enough to stop glowing.

kerbals glow when they are heated??!.... time to throw jeb inside a cockpit near the sun!!!

27 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

kerbals glow when they are heated??!.... time to throw jeb inside a cockpit near the sun!!!

Probably easier to make a "kiln" with a mainsail firing directly onto Jeb. Sort of like a Kerbal sauna or spa.

I gave it a shot.  It didn't work out too well.  I tried heating him up directly with the propelling rocket.  Turns out kerbals explode if you heat them past 800 kelvins.  Mainsail was insta-death.  Went smaller, and he tended to blow up within a second at full thrust.  

I suspect kerbals, like all parts have a core and a skin temperature.  In the plane, I was able to evenly heat him up below exploding temperature.  It's tougher to get that right with my Kerbal Kannon.  Anyways, here's a quick video of a representative attempt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.