Carrer vs. Sandbox

Hello!  

I have a very 'noob' question as I am still downloading Kerbal Space Program. I have read that in Sandbox Mode you are unable to get crew/EVA reports or science experiments. 

In career mode, is it possible to build your own space station, during or after all the completed missions?

I am really looking forward to eventually building my own space station to be able to conducts research and experiments.

Thank-You.

Sgt.

Sandbox opens everything to you from the start.  But being a new player, that may be overwhelming.  I started in career so I could gradually learn each part, as well as learn to optimize my designs.  You also have to worry about funding, while in sandbox everything is free.  So you may fail a couple times before you learn to not over build.

57 minutes ago, ForScience6686 said:

Sandbox opens everything to you from the start.  But being a new player, that may be overwhelming.  I started in career so I could gradually learn each part, as well as learn to optimize my designs.  You also have to worry about funding, while in sandbox everything is free.  So you may fail a couple times before you learn to not over build.

Exactly. Start with career mode so you can get a bearing on what does what. I watched KSP videos for about a year before I got the full version, so I already had a grasp on what did what and started with sandbox.

I've done career here and there, but I mostly revolve around sandbox.

Once you have completed career mode, and just want to have a little fun, Sandbox is your best friend. 

"In career mode, is it possible to build your own space station, during or after the completed missions?"

The answer to that question is both. The game will give you contracts like:

"Build a Space Station that can hold at least 12 kerbals, 3000 mono-propellant, 2000 electric charge, has an antenna, a docking port"

In that sense, launch what you need to space and put it together making sure all the criteria is bet before time runs out, which usually an insane amount of time between 1 and 30 years. (or never in some cases)

And if you want, you can build space station wherever and whenever you want. I built a 700 part station that weighed like 200 tons, and had 20 modules. I wrecked it intentionally ( for fun) with a command module returning from LMO (Low munar Orbit).. destroyed the entire thing needless to say. bad thing is, I forgot to quicksave.. *sniff*

Too-de-loo!

-TheKorbinger

Edited by TheKorbinger

52 minutes ago, ForScience6686 said:

Thanks ForScience!

I'm defiantly going to take things slow at first - simply getting into orbit looks challenging!

5 minutes ago, TheKorbinger said:

Exactly. Start with career mode so you can get a bearing on what does what. I watched KSP videos for about a year before I got the full version, so I already had a grasp on what did what and started with sandbox.

I've done career here and there, but I mostly revolve around sandbox.

Once you have completed career mode, and just want to have a little fun, Sandbox is your best friend. 

Too-de-loo!

-TheKorbinger

Thanks Korbinger!

I have been watching a lot of basic tutorial videos, and going to take things one step at a time beginning with the Training.

2 minutes ago, Sgt said:

Thanks ForScience!

I'm defiantly going to take things slow at first - simply getting into orbit looks challenging!

Thanks Korbinger!

I have been watching a lot of basic tutorial videos, and going to take things one step at a time beginning with the Training.

Don't forget to push yourself while playing.  Nothing wrong with a good challenge.

(If you mess up, F5 and F9 are also your friends :D)

2 minutes ago, TheKorbinger said:

Don't forget to push yourself while playing.  Nothing wrong with a good challenge.

My platform is Playstation 4, so I will have to spend some time learning all of the controls!

7 minutes ago, TheKorbinger said:

Absolutely. If there is one guaranteed it is that sooner or later you WILL make a mess. I've been playing KSP religiously for over 4 years now and I still cock-up from time to time.

"Failure is not an option. It is part of the process."

Edited by Tex_NL

2 minutes ago, TheKorbinger said:

OH. I've never played PS4. Hope everything goes well for you!

Thanks again for your help everyone - A great introduction to the KSP community!

Edited by Sgt

4 minutes ago, Sgt said:

My platform is Playstation 4, so I will have to spend some time learning all of the controls!

KSP on console is pretty bad. The game is the same as on PC but the port has been a mess.
Don't get too frustrated when your game crashes or saves get corrupted. Those are all known issues and Squad is working on a new port. But nobody knows when it will be released.

1 minute ago, Tex_NL said:

KSP on console is pretty bad. The game is the same as on PC but the port has been a mess.
Don't get too frustrated when your game crashes or saves get corrupted. Those are all known issues and Squad is working on a new port. But nobody knows when it will be released.

Good to know - I will have to look into what other PS4 players are doing to avoid said issues.

Edited by Sgt
Spelling correction.

I'll second Science Mode.  I'd actually suggest start in Science to get the hang of it and learn the tech tree a bit, without worrying about funds.  Get to liquid fueled rockets, and by that time you should have a good handle on things.  At that point, start a Career game as the contracts will give you better and better challenges.

Thirded for science mode. 

Sandbox can overwhelm the new player and leave you with a "What the hell am I supposed to do with all this junk?" experience. 

Career I just have never learned to like. You have to do a load of stuff that has no interest to me. 

Science takes you through the tech tree doing whatever you like to get there. 

25 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Thirded for science mode. 

Sandbox can overwhelm the new player and leave you with a "What the hell am I supposed to do with all this junk?" experience. 

Career I just have never learned to like. You have to do a load of stuff that has no interest to me. 

Science takes you through the tech tree doing whatever you like to get there. 

Like ejecting an E class asteroid out of the solar system

WHY IS THAT A CONTRACT!?

Update!

I have completed 6/13 Training missions, but am going to go back to Advanced Construction and Go For Orbit to be sure I understand the basics before moving on. There's a lot information!

23 minutes ago, Sgt said:

There's a lot information!

There is indeed. Most people refer to KSP's learning curve as more of a wall. 

Just remember that we're mostly a helpful and friendly bunch here on the forums, so don't ever be afraid to open more threads asking questions. After all, we've all been there at some point. 

6 hours ago, Sgt said:

I have read that in Sandbox Mode you are unable to get crew/EVA reports or science experiments.

Actually science its not used in Sandbox, you can still use the scientific instruments but the game don’t keep track of science points. In Career and Science the experiments result in science points that are used to unlock tech.

Unlike many people in this thread I don't like Science mod. The reason its that IMO Sandbox gives you freedom while Carrer give you objectives while Science sit in the middle ground and gives you not enough freedom or objectives. But don’t limit yourself by other's opinions, find out what do you prefer.

3 hours ago, Foxster said:

I agree with this. But for me, after learning the basics, my first mods were contract packs that let me get rewards for the kind of missions that were interesting to me, and mostly ignored the stock ones. Overall I like this better than the science mode. 

But likely irrelevant to the OP. Science mode is a good way to learn the game in the beginning without the bewildering array of parts in sandbox

It's worth remembering that you can do any mission you want in career mode as long as you have the funds. Not everything has to be contract related but you'll generally start to get station contracts once you've unlocked docking ,probe cores and solar panels.

I mainly play career (with sandbox as testing/simulation environment).

While many contracts are boring and or bonkers I have no issues in choosing the ones that fit the story in my head and ignore or reject the ones that don't.

Stations are often built as soon as I can (the contract for one almost always appears before that).

Wow, thank you everyone! A strong community is what will help make this a great experience 

I am going to finish up the Training tomorrow (maybe do Advanced Construction, Go For Orbit and Orbiting 101 again) and then see where the Career Mode takes me.

I will be honest, building the correct vehicle, getting it into orbit while understanding the terminology and correct procedures was a little overwhelming the first time around, but that makes me even more intrigued! Chances are I will look back on this post and laugh. :sticktongue:

1 hour ago, Sgt said:

Wow, thank you everyone! A strong community is what will help make this a great experience 

I am going to finish up the Training tomorrow (maybe do Advanced Construction, Go For Orbit and Orbiting 101 again) and then see where the Career Mode takes me.

I will be honest, building the correct vehicle, getting it into orbit while understanding the terminology and correct procedures was a little overwhelming the first time around, but that makes me even more intrigued! Chances are I will look back on this post and laugh. :sticktongue:

My best experience was starting career, getting to the Mun and back...then restarting a new career now that i know which tech tree upgrades i really need, which building upgrades i really need.

I would recommend starting career on easy, doing only essential tutorials(everything up until the Mun orbit training is enough). On easy you will get a lot of mercy for wasting money or science, but wont have to be overwhelmed by the 200+ part selection you get from sandbox.

By the time you succeed at bringing back(safely) the first kerbal to step on the Mun, you will know just enough to make the correct decisions this time around, so restart on Normal difficulty then(the first few launches goes by much faster this time around). You will be able to plan a better, practical space station, will know which techtree nodes are most important for your goals and be able to get a massive headstart on experimenting for Minmus landings, or even interplanetary missions.

I only started playing KSP a few weeks ago. I learned to get into orbit with the demo version. Once I had the full version I decided to go career. Not looked back. Anyways getting to the thread subject one thing not yet mentioned is the bonus you get from achievements. Even if you dont have a contract to land on Minmus, doing so will generate rewards (funds, cash and rep) the first time. Enough to pay for the mission. Also stick a thermometer on everything you plan to leave in space. My major revenue stream is the reoccurring contract to take a science measurement in < location> 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.