Laythe Exploration Challenge

laythe1.jpg

This is Laythe, a moon circling the great green giant, Jool. For decades, kerbals have stared in awe at Laythe, planning, dreaming, wondering.

The challenge is simple. Send a spacecraft to explore Laythe. No cheats are allowed (Hyperedit, debug menu...etc.). The probe must send back AT LEAST 500 Science! points. No parts can be lost without being planned before entering Laythe's SOI. You need to post part count, cost, Science! points collected, and at least one thing you found that was interesting(if you succeeded). Screenshots or it never happened. All non-cheat mods are allowed.

"You Tried" Mode

Fly past Laythe in 10 years or less.

Easy Mode

Fly past Laythe in 5 years or less, OR enter Laythe orbit.

Medium Mode

Land safely on Laythe's surface, it doesn't matter where.

Hard Mode

Land a rover on Dracoduck Island, Visit two island biomes OR land a boat and sample Laythe's ocean, and visit two ocean biomes.

Dracoduck Island>>>laythe-island_zpskgk1nqx7.jpg

Super Mode

Land an autonomous, amphibious, walking robot on Laythe. Visit all 10 biomes with all available scientific instruments. Test for life. DMagic Orbital Science is recommended for this part. If you only play stock, that's okay. Dmagic is no requirement.

Hyper Mode

Any kind of manned mission.

Edited by Laythe Squid
Needs more information.

This should be in the "Challenges" subforum, not in "Fan Works". You can ask the mods to move it by posting in this thread. Also, you might want to check the Challenge Submission Guide; your challenge explanation is somewhat lacking in detail, and it's customary to actually attempt challenges you create.

Edited by eloquentJane

Any feedback is appreciated!

23 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

This should be in the "Challenges" subforum, not in "Fan Works". You can ask the mods to move it by posting in this thread. Also, you might want to check the Challenge Submission Guide; your challenge explanation is somewhat lacking in detail, and it's customary to actually attempt challenges you create.

Time for scientific genocide!

Edited by Laythe Squid

There's a few things I would suggest to improve the challenge regulations, but I think overall they look pretty good as they are. The addition of detail and categories has definitely helped to improve the challenge and make it easier to understand as well as providing goals to improve competitiveness.

Here's the things that I thought may be a good idea to readdress:

On 3/8/2017 at 11:21 PM, Laythe Squid said:

You need to post delta-vee

Perhaps this should be required only in cases when delta-v mods are being used. Not everyone uses them, and many people aren't familiar with the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation that is used to calculate it.

Land an autonomous, amphibious, walking rover on Laythe.

Does it really need to be able to walk? I thought that was the purpose of wheels. If it walks that would certainly be impressive, but I'm not sure that really fits the definition of a rover, nor is it overly practical without Infernal Robotics or similar parts.

Land a rover on Dracoduck Island

Perhaps it would be a good idea to point out on a map where this island is so that people can actually find it.

DMagic Orbital Science is required for this part. 

I would worry that requiring a specific parts mod might be off-putting to stock players.

10 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

There's a few things I would suggest to improve the challenge regulations, but I think overall they look pretty good as they are. The addition of detail and categories has definitely helped to improve the challenge and make it easier to understand as well as providing goals to improve competitiveness.

Here's the things that I thought may be a good idea to readdress:

Perhaps this should be required only in cases when delta-v mods are being used. Not everyone uses them, and many people aren't familiar with the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation that is used to calculate it.

Does it really need to be able to walk? I thought that was the purpose of wheels. If it walks that would certainly be impressive, but I'm not sure that really fits the definition of a rover, nor is it overly practical without Infernal Robotics or similar parts.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to point out on a map where this island is so that people can actually find it.

I would worry that requiring a specific parts mod might be off-putting to stock players.

Thank you. I fixed what you asked me to fix. I tend to say a rover is a probe that moves across the surface of a planet or moon. And yes, the super mode probe needs to walk. 

Edited by Laythe Squid

I now present for your approval the CANUKWorks Laythe Explorer 1096 ... All Stock for your convenience :)

Payload
9 Kerbals (Room for 12)
16 Communication Relay Satellites
16 Lander Probes w/ Full Stock science package
6 Narrow Band Ground Scanning Satellites w/ Stock Orbital science package
1 Resource Scanning Probe
1 Mobile Processing Lab

Be Warned: She is 1096 parts in orbit after dropping her 2 launch stages and I think she is somewhere around 1650 parts on the launchpad so expect some lag if you try and launch her

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/im0cm2322feb4sz/Laythe Explorer 1096.craft?dl=0

I have made it to Laythe orbit with LE1096 and I am just editing the video, I expect to release it in the next few days ... In the meantime, here's a few snapshots of her: http://imgur.com/a/JNGPyjiZjpNj.png

Edited by DoctorDavinci

I do really enjoy missions to Laythe but an autonomous, amphibious, walking robot. Walkers are slow, especially if they need to carry experiments/ect. and I can't see a walker that can float moving too fast in the water either - seems like a really long time to complete a full survey of every biome by land and sea. Can it fly as well? A propeller and couple of wings wouldn't add too much weight and be powered by the same electric that powers the legs since mods are allowed. I wouldn't really want to crawl around Laythe at 5-10m/s. Oh and that "other" question - is MechJeb a cheat mod? :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2017 at 5:36 PM, Darren9 said:

I do really enjoy missions to Laythe but an autonomous, amphibious, walking robot. Walkers are slow, especially if they need to carry experiments/ect. and I can't see a walker that can float moving too fast in the water either - seems like a really long time to complete a full survey of every biome by land and sea. Can it fly as well? A propeller and couple of wings wouldn't add too much weight and be powered by the same electric that powers the legs since mods are allowed. I wouldn't really want to crawl around Laythe at 5-10m/s. Oh and that "other" question - is MechJeb a cheat mod? :)

It can fly, if that's convenient.

On 3/13/2017 at 0:07 PM, Foxster said:

When you say "probe" - is it OK to make it a manned explorer so that science experiments can be reset and wheels fixed?

It's best if the craft is uncrewed, but I will allow manned missions. I will need to make a new category for that.

On 3/13/2017 at 5:36 PM, Darren9 said:

is MechJeb a cheat mod? :)

No. I call hyperedit a cheat mod because you can teleport with it. I like MechJeb, because it gives some degree of autonomy. MechJeb is allowed. So is the Trajectories mod.

On 3/12/2017 at 9:54 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

I now present for your approval the CANUKWorks Laythe Explorer 1096 ... All Stock for your convenience :)

Payload
9 Kerbals (Room for 12)
16 Communication Relay Satellites
16 Lander Probes w/ Full Stock science package
6 Narrow Band Ground Scanning Satellites w/ Stock Orbital science package
1 Resource Scanning Probe
1 Mobile Processing Lab

Be Warned: She is 1096 parts in orbit after dropping her 2 launch stages and I think she is somewhere around 1650 parts on the launchpad so expect some lag if you try and launch her

Craft File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/im0cm2322feb4sz/Laythe Explorer 1096.craft?dl=0

I have made it to Laythe orbit with LE1096 and I am just editing the video, I expect to release it in the next few days ... In the meantime, here's a few snapshots of her: http://imgur.com/a/JNGPyjiZjpNj.png

DoctorDavinci, I'd love to see your video. It looks good so far, but I need all the required fields. Right now, I'd call this Hyper mode.

Edited by Laythe Squid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.