This question about playing the game has been moved to Gameplay Questions. 

Unfortunately, I do not play through Steam, and so don't know the answer. Which badge were you trying for? 

Oh, I see you figured it out. Nevermind. :) 

I know what he's talking about; I've got them all.   There are a few Steam badges you can craft from trading cards which you can then display on your profile. When you craft them you're also rewarded with kerbal emoji, a profile background, and Steam user XP which adds to your Steam level.   

You can craft regular (blue border) badges, each subsequent level is a different badge, and an increasing Steam XP reward. If I recall, they go from 100-500 XP.  Then there are foil pack trading cards, which are more rare and more valuable.  Collecting all of those and crafting a rare foil badge gives you that badge, the usual profile profile picture or chat emoji, and unfortunately a disappointing 100 XP.  

I'd still like to see the achievements from the console debacle version on Steam.  

Well, there is a simple way to finish almost any steam badge:  Make sure your account has some money on it, go to the marketplace, find your needed cards and buy them, (IIRC, last time I looked the regular cards for KSP were around $0.20 each[1]).

[1] I'm not going to pay real money but if I happen to have a duplicate I don't mind using that to fund a purchase of new cards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.