pilot009

Engines won't light

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Long time player, but I can't figure out why my engine won't light when trying to do super sonic retro propulsion in lower atmosphere of Kerbin.

Using 1.2.2 64bit, not using FAR or any other atmosphere mods...

Thanks!

Edited by pilot009

15 answers to this question

Heaving mods installed that include ullage? For that, you need some method to push the fuel to the bottom side of the tank, using ullage or separation rockets. 

1. Do you have the correct fuel type for that particular engine?

2. Do you still have available fuel for that engine?

3. Do you have a connection to the KSC/other ground stations?

4. Do you have a probe core on the vessel?

:) 

Posted (edited)

What kind of engine (air-breathing or rocket)? And what do you mean by "not starting"? Is it refusing to start at all? Or is it instantly flaming out?

Also, could you provide a screenshot of your craft?

Edited by IncongruousGoat

Posted (edited)

Sorry forgot to mention engines work perfectly fine in space, high altitude and at slow speed at low altitude. Setting is off for remote connection and I have crew on board. Its many engines and configurations (well many that I have tried), so not sure its related to specific parts... 

Edited by pilot009

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

What kind of engine (air-breathing or rocket)? And what do you mean by "not starting"? Is it refusing to start at all? Or is it instantly flaming out?

Also, could you provide a screenshot of your craft?

Rocket engine (supersonic retro propulsion can only be done with a rocket). Does not start at all, nothing indicated on engine menu (status normal). 

Supersonic retro propulsion can be done with jets in KSP, but that is a side note here.

My best guess without seeing the craft is that there is either no oxidizer or no liquid fuel with a valid fuel flow path to the engine, possibly both.

Hi again,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've checked everything (like I said long time player) and also like I said the engines work fine in space, high altitude and at slower speeds. It's only under high aerodynamic pressure where there is no response. No flame-out, nothing, just the throttle simply does not move. 

Any more ideas would be much appreciated!

Mike

Can you post screenshots to Imgur and link them to us?  It's hard to understand what's going on.

Yeah I can when I get home I guess, but not much to show, just a craft descending at high speed through atmosphere with engines off... 

There is a re-entry comms blackout setting.  Maybe that?

Yes, I've checked all the settings. All comm setting are off.

How can the throttle not move? It always moves (unless you have no commnet connectivity and you have "require signal" turned on), whether or not moving the throttle actually does anything.

If the throttle is really not moving, then that's a bug in a mod that's overriding the stock behavior -- so you need to find out which mod and report that bug to the mod author.

Edited by bewing
1 person likes this

18 hours ago, bewing said:

How can the throttle not move? It always moves (unless you have no commnet connectivity and you have "require signal" turned on), whether or not moving the throttle actually does anything.

That was my line of thinking as well.

By the way you get less air if intakes are sideways or backwards to the airflow, but for rockets I have no idea.

Maybe plasma occlusion blocking control? It's an advanced difficulty option.

Maybe the batteries ran down and there are no solar panels facing?  Do you have any sort of control?