ESS Mission Architecture Series

This thread will serve as the successor to my previous long-term career thread. The concept, however, will be somewhat different: for each planetary system, I will design a mission architecture - a specific set of spacecraft with a specific set of goals for each location.

Mission reports will be somewhat different to what I have done previously. I will begin with showcasing each component of a mission architecture that I design (including details of the design and KerbalX links once fully tested), and then I will fly several missions to serve as a sufficient technology demonstration (those mission reports will be more akin to the style that I have been doing recently).

Edited by eloquentJane

Kerbin Orbital Architecture

This is a set of technologies designed for sending kerbals to Kerbin orbit, as well as for constructing a couple of distinct space stations.

Launch Vehicles

Spoiler

I have recreated my old Tano series of launch vehicles, with some improvements. They're a set of four mid-range lifters. The upper stages of each include built-in avionics and RCS.

Tano A

bVH5M8l.jpg

The Tano A is the smallest Tano-series launch vehicle. It can transport up to 8 tonnes to low Kerbin orbit.

Tano B

LhlJvZN.jpg

The Tano B is the main workhorse of the Tano series. Most conventional payloads will fit within its 13 tonne payload capacity.

Tano X

Tddi73D.jpg

The Tano X is a significant upgrade to the Tano B. It uses two large SRBs and an improved upper stage to boost up to 21 tonnes to LKO.

Tano Heavy

w9eP5xS.jpg

The Tano Heavy has a three-core first stage. The three cores burn in parallel rather than the radial ones being separated mid-flight, but future upgrades may include separable boosters. The Tano Heavy launch vehicle can theoretically transport about 30 tonnes to low Kerbin orbit, but is primarily designed for transporting two thirds of that mass to orbit either of Kerbin's moons. It could also be used for sending smaller payloads beyond Kerbin's SOI entirely.

Spacecraft

Spoiler

There are three main spacecraft used for orbital operations in Kerbin orbit. One transports crew, another transports cargo, and the third transports both.

Deneb

rWyk4N9.jpg

The Deneb resupply spacecraft is used for transporting equipment to stations in Kerbin orbit. Its cargoes are highly configurable, and it can be launched on any Tano-series lifter depending on cargo mass. The main cargo bay can also be replaced with a fuel tank to allow the spacecraft to serve as a fuel tanker.

Wyvern 1

x3dJ52O.jpg

swY1Ad2.jpg

The Wyvern 1 spacecraft is a fairly standard three-kerbal spacecraft. Its service module is a modified Tano A upper stage, and it is launched on the standard Tano A first stage.

Eagle Space Shuttle

Q246uai.jpg

The Eagle Space Shuttle is a large crew-and-cargo shuttle designed to be fully reusable. It can carry up to 40 tonnes of cargo (provided that it can fit into the cargo bay) and is capable of docking. The launch vehicle is likely to be used for conventional rocket-based launches in future.

Space Stations

Spoiler

There are two space stations that will be used in Kerbin orbit. One is designed for scientific research that cannot be done by uncrewed probes, and the other is a large orbital habitat that will allow many kerbals to live in Kerbin orbit for extended periods of time. Both are composed of 14 modules.

Kerbin Research Station

2dkDoGt.jpg

The Kerbin Research Station does exactly what the name suggests. It is a scientific outpost that can house many kerbals, and includes every distinct piece of science equipment which does not have a 100% transmission rate (from stock, DMagic, and M.O.L.E).

Kerbin Spaceport

OnRYcfO.jpg

The Kerbin spaceport is an orbital home for kerbals. It can comfortably house up to 40 kerbals, and includes a large centrifuge module. Though the spaceport has been designed now, it cannot be constructed with just the Tano rockets and the Eagle shuttle, and will require the larger Raven-series launch vehicles which have yet to be fully designed.

Edited by eloquentJane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.