One option to avoid cluttering up the UI would be to have an "airplane mode" (like we have "docking mode" now) where all the usual SAS options are replaced with horizon-relative ones like you'd have in a plane. I forget if it's been mentioned already, but a "hold vertical" mode (or better yet, a "kill horizontal velocity" mode) would be useful as well, especially for landers and VTOLs.

And just in case it isn't already obvious, I support this.

I would take it even further, as others are suggesting... Have both hold pitch and hold heading options.

You can toggle both separately. Whatever your current pitch/heading is gets locked. If you want to "hold horizon" then point at the horizon and lock it. Same thing for heading. If you want to adjust: unlock, adjust, re-lock.

42 minutes ago, jofwu said:

Have both hold pitch and hold heading options.

The hold heading is a tricky one though: unless one's heading at time of lock is exactly 90 degrees or exactly 270 degrees at zero inclination from the equatorial plane, a meaningful course will need the heading to gradually change to actually 'hold course', the extreme case being an exactly polar orbit which would stay due north or south for half the orbit then require a full and instantaneous 180 degree swing when passing over the poles  and head exactly the opposite heading the other half of the orbit (great circle navigation, it's a doozy).

Edited by swjr-swis

4 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

The hold heading is a tricky one though: unless one's heading at time of lock is exactly 90 degrees or exactly 270 degrees at zero inclination from the equatorial plane, a meaningful course will actually need the heading to gradually change to actually 'hold course', the extreme case being an exactly polar orbit which would stay due north or south for half the orbit then require a full and instantaneous 180 degree swing when passing over the poles  and head exactly the opposite heading the other half of the orbit (great circle navigation, it's a doozy).

Yeah, I thought about that as I was typing it, but was too lazy to think of a better term. "Hold Course" is a good way to put it. :)

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The hold heading is a tricky one though: unless one's heading at time of lock is exactly 90 degrees or exactly 270 degrees at zero inclination from the equatorial plane, a meaningful course will need the heading to gradually change to actually 'hold course', the extreme case being an exactly polar orbit which would stay due north or south for half the orbit then require a full and instantaneous 180 degree swing when passing over the poles  and head exactly the opposite heading the other half of the orbit (great circle navigation, it's a doozy).

If I may.

Heading hold is a feature on aircrafts. I agree that it might not be a good one in orbit.

Even on aircrafts there are limits. For instance nobody "Normally" fly over the pole.

Commercial airliners don't do it. Their instruments are not certified for such operation.

So impose limits as they have. Normal operation between say the equator and say 80°N or S.

Heading hold might revert to Attitude hold.

ME

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.