squid pls

On 3/11/2017 at 2:18 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

Ksp 1.3 Methinks?

Too late for that, most likely. 1.3 is almost out the door, so any coding for it had to be done a while ago. If they tried to slip this in now, they'd have very little time to fix any problems with it.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:23 PM, swjr-swis said:

The hold heading is a tricky one though: unless one's heading at time of lock is exactly 90 degrees or exactly 270 degrees at zero inclination from the equatorial plane, a meaningful course will need the heading to gradually change to actually 'hold course', the extreme case being an exactly polar orbit which would stay due north or south for half the orbit then require a full and instantaneous 180 degree swing when passing over the poles  and head exactly the opposite heading the other half of the orbit (great circle navigation, it's a doozy).

Hold course is a LOT harder than hold heading.  Hold heading would be to say "point at a specific point and don't change course", leaving it to the pilot to make adjustments.

Hold course, well, take a look at the various autopilot mods to get an idea of how difficult it is.

Hold Horizon, on the other hand, is much easier.

I know this is a stock thread, but I think that since there are many ways to interpret this request, it may be better to leave it to various mods to implement

I just want to lend my voice to this suggestion too.  I want this!

I spent a lot of time building moon rovers .. and then driving them around kerbin for fun .. then loading them on planes and flying them to various spots (ufo/temple/old-KSC/etc) .. and honestly, flying half way around the planet without some kind of basic autopilot is so so painful.  Most of the time I did it with MechJeb, which is overkill when all I want is to hold at 2000m and head at x degrees most of the time.

On 3/22/2017 at 4:17 AM, TKO said:

Most of the time I did it with MechJeb, which is overkill when all I want is to hold at 2000m and head at x degrees most of the time.

Well, if we are talking mods here, there is one with the exact functionality Atmosphreautopilot

However, that is just such a logic thing to have in stock, like KER or KAC.

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

So you're saying it will never be stock. :wink:

Let's have a hope man! But yes, I don't think SQUAD will actually implement something like that. It is too obvious feature for them I assume..

But let's be positive, they implemented some good staff before, and after that some mods become obsolete. So, fingers crossed, SQUAD hear us!!!

I'm totally down for it.

Could see it aiding a satellite that is not geosynchronous that you want to always have the same side facing the body it is orbiting as well (unless that's already a thing now? I took a long break)

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, we have a contract system that in forces you to fly halfway around Kebin in atmosphere, but no way to do so without sitting staring at a plane pushing W everytime you see the nose drop. Talk about not a fun time. To me, it just seems common sense that if you have a mechanic which forces long flights to have a system which makes them at least not rage inducing.

I support this.

On 10-3-2017 at 10:44 PM, jofwu said:

I would take it even further, as others are suggesting... Have both hold pitch and hold heading options.

You can toggle both separately. Whatever your current pitch/heading is gets locked. If you want to "hold horizon" then point at the horizon and lock it. Same thing for heading. If you want to adjust: unlock, adjust, re-lock.

Yeah, this is more relevant than follow horizon. Considering this game is called Kerbal Spaceplane Program I find it weird that there isn't an automated function to hold attitude, pitch or heading. Especially attitude would be nice, since I am usually at a 7-10 degrees attitude above my current heading when coming down from SPAAAAAAACE.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mattssheep4 said:

Perhaps the current "Hold Heading" SAS option could be tweaked so that, in atmosphere, the SAS stays at the current pitch/heading.

I don't know if this has already been suggested but hold angle to horizon could just be a SAS button like lock on prograde, target, etc. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.