Shoutout to all Gameplay Questions regulars

A_name

"It ain't easy or glamorous, but it's honest work." :P

Honestly I think it's a cornerstone of our community. KSP is a difficult game, especially for those not yet benefitting from physics classes at school (or who slept through them, like my foolish younger self). With other games, a player might ask how to improve their XP farming speed by 10%. With KSP, a player might ask how to keep their rocket from flipping on ascent without realizing that there are literally five different answers to consider, each with its own particular physics background. It's a different level of challenge. As such, nothing is more important than having a place for people to go to that accepts even the most complex questions and returns in-depth explanations, in a language that even younger players and non-native-English speakers can understand.

If we didn't have Gameplay Questions and its denizens, KSP's community would only be half as good. If that much. I encourage everyone to come and share their wisdom.

Edited by Streetwind

Difficult and complex questions? Bring 'em on!
Easy, dime in a dozen questions that get asked (and answered) at least once a week? That's what Google's for.

Edited by Tex_NL

21 hours ago, A_name said:

I wanted to take a moment to thank those of you who are constantly active in the Gameplay Questions forum, always giving mindful, in-depth, and extremely quick answers.

Hear, hear!

Never ceases to amaze me how many positive, supportive, knowledgeable, generous, and patient people there are here.  The KSP forums are an online community unlike any I've ever seen, and I'm so glad to see a supporting and receptive environment for newcomers.

More than just about any other game I've played, KSP has a talent for making the player feel stupid, sometimes.  For those of us who have been playing so long it's second nature, it can seem easy and straightforward.  It's easy to forget (for me, at least) just how intimidating this game can be, when you're new.

And I suspect that the forum could easily be intimidating to a newbie, too.  Here you are, you're brand new at this really hard game and you're feeling like an idiot and here's this forum full of smart experienced people who seem to do all this incredibly tricky fancy stuff as easily as breathing... hard for me to imagine what nerve it must take to make that very first post, knowing that it probably makes you look publicly stupid in front of a bunch of experts.

(Heck, in my own case, I had a running start, what with being a physics major and a space nerd to start with... and it still took me half a year of playing KSP before I worked up the nerve to post on the forums.  But then, I'm a wuss.)  :wink:

From the general tone I've seen on the internet, it would be so easy for us to have the kind of forum community that laughs, points fingers, ridicules, belittles someone like that-- and think how much the poorer we'd be, if we scared away such newbies.  Because today's newbie is tomorrow's helpful expert.

I'm happy whenever I see a "stupid newbie" question in Gameplay Questions-- because it means that, once again, the KSP forums have succeeded in convincing a new person that we're welcoming enough to help them.

Every time I see that, it makes me proud of the folks in Gameplay Questions for showing the Internet "this is how it's done."

So... thanks for this sentiment, @A_name, and I'm sorry that I only have one like to give.

9 minutes ago, Snark said:

Never ceases to amaze me how many positive, supportive, knowledgeable, generous, and patient people there are here.  The KSP forums are an online community unlike any I've ever seen, and I'm so glad to see a supporting and receptive environment for newcomers.

Starting with you! :)

Among others, of course.

Edited by A_name

I haven't been as active there lately as I once was, but I find great satisfaction in sharing my hard-won rocket science knowledge. Even if it's a common question that's been answered a hundred times before, I am always happy to help a new player find their space legs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.