KSP Weekly: Remembering Gagarin

SQUAD

6 minutes ago, Lightzy said:

I mean come on, is there anything that most existing Kerbal players can look forward to in 1.3 or not?

Continued development of the program, as opposed to a "Closed" sign on the door?

Edited by razark

7 hours ago, SQUAD said:

including the SENTINEL Infrared Telescope, the final art to make the main game.

Could a staff member elaborate on what is meant by this? Cause it almost sounds like some one is trying to call this layered mess of placeholder models "final".

Edited by passinglurker

37 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

Could a staff member elaborate on what is meant by this? Cause it almost sounds like some one is trying to call this layered mess of placeholder models "final".

All the other parts from the asteroid day mod were included in stock in an earlier release. I forget which though. The telescope wasn't since it was the one part that required programming as well instead of just copying art assets.

1 hour ago, passinglurker said:

Pretty sure that is a typo and there's a p missing in front of "art".

Welcome to KSP Weekly: where people are rude over one missing letter! :rolleyes:

Edited by Streetwind

4 hours ago, passinglurker said:

I interpret it as "no other parts will be added to the game anymore"

Asteroid Redirect Mod:Yes this is not a new thing, but this will finally be merged to the base game to add that extra facet to contract gameplay without needing an extra download - including the SENTINEL Infrared Telescope, the final art to make the main game.

Using our excellent deductive talents, let us solve this puzzle.  Clearly, we can determine that the subject of the paragraph is, indeed, the Asteroid Redirect Mod.  As our astounding memories will remind us, all but one piece of said mod has been added to the game.  The last piece of a set can often be called the final piece.  Interesting indeed.  The final sentence feels awkward.  Perhaps there is a misspelling or other grammatical error?  Ah, yes!  Art should certainly be Part!  They are simply stating that the final part of the Asteroid Redirect Mod will be added to the main game!  I must thank my elementary professor for such excellent schooling.

I really hope the ambient slider works both ways and will be available in the game directly instead of through the main menu. I've always felt nighttime on Kerbin is much too bright. We don't even need our headlights when driving around.

17 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Ambient Light Adjustment: A common request from the media group is to adjust the settings for Ambient light values. For 1.3 we have added a Boost value to the ambient light setting (similar to the highlighter boost slider). This one brightens the render engine settings to bring light into the darkness

Out of curiosity, is this a persistent setting that you need to change via menu all the time or something you can toggle at will via keyboard (e.g. one of the Function keys)? I don't do screenshots much, but I do like playing with lighting as-is for the most part. So I think it would be nice if the feature was toggle-able on-demand via hotkey or optionally only kicks in when F2/F1 is pressed. Or something along those lines. I just wouldn't like having to go into the options menu each time I need to take a screenshot for whatever reason and then go back to reset the setting.

I know streamers and the like will probably always have the setting on and tuned for their needs (the audience), but there's something cool about floating through the blackness of space with just the vessel's light (if any) to brightness the darkness. (I spent so much time flying in the dark back in 1.0.5 in a modded VTOL doing various survey missions. I dedicated quite a bit of time getting the lights on my vessel to look right and nice.)

The comment " the final art to make the main game. " is referring to the fact that it was the final piece of art from the Asteroid Day mod that was not migrated across to the stock game.
There is nothing else sinister or any other hidden meaning about it.
@klgraham1013 got it right.

4 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Out of curiosity, is this a persistent setting that you need to change via menu all the time or something you can toggle at will via keyboard (e.g. one of the Function keys)?

If I were to guess: If it is the latter, no problem. If it is the former, wait three days, and then somebody will have made an "Ambient Light Adjustment Hotkeys" mod.

Edited by Codraroll

On 3/10/2017 at 7:51 PM, SQUAD said:

Ambient Light Adjustment

Finally something to get hyped about.  I sure as hell hope that it allows you to decrease the ambient lighting (and not only increase it).  The game looks like trash without lower lighting unless you are using some sort of "nebula" styled skyboxes so that that super high ambient lighting makes sense from a visual standpoint.  With those cool dark skyboxes and ambient set to near 0, i think we can have a better game...

16 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Will the ambient light adjustment, etc be released in the prerelease, or in 1.3? 

It will be added during the prerelease period

6 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Out of curiosity, is this a persistent setting that you need to change via menu all the time or something you can toggle at will via keyboard (e.g. one of the Function keys)? I don't do screenshots much, but I do like playing with lighting as-is for the most part. So I think it would be nice if the feature was toggle-able on-demand via hotkey or optionally only kicks in when F2/F1 is pressed. Or something along those lines. I just wouldn't like having to go into the options menu each time I need to take a screenshot for whatever reason and then go back to reset the setting.

I know streamers and the like will probably always have the setting on and tuned for their needs (the audience), but there's something cool about floating through the blackness of space with just the vessel's light (if any) to brightness the darkness. (I spent so much time flying in the dark back in 1.0.5 in a modded VTOL doing various survey missions. I dedicated quite a bit of time getting the lights on my vessel to look right and nice.)

Its in the two settings menus currently - Main and mini in game

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

If I were to guess: If it is the latter, no problem. If it is the former, wait three days, and then somebody will have made an "Ambient Light Adjustment Hotkeys" mod.

Thats a cool idea, let me see if we can find a free key

5 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Finally something to get hyped about.  I sure as hell hope that it allows you to decrease the ambient lighting (and not only increase it).  The game looks like trash without lower lighting unless you are using some sort of "nebula" styled skyboxes so that that super high ambient lighting makes sense from a visual standpoint.  With those cool dark skyboxes and ambient set to near 0, i think we can have a better game...

Its currently a boost value (see the Op), but I'll see how far we can dimm it too

Just now, TriggerAu said:

I'll see how far we can dimm it too

Thanks alot for looking into that, increasing brightness may be good for streaming, but it completely kills immersion (for those of us that both want a challenge and care about looks), and less light will mean that the lights will have an actually useful purpose (yeah they look cool now, but its not like you NEED to illuminate anything).  It doesnt need to be totally black but allowing one to decrease the light by even 50% of what it is currently would go a long way.

2 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Thanks alot for looking into that, increasing brightness may be good for streaming, but it completely kills immersion (for those of us that both want a challenge and care about looks), and less light will mean that the lights will have an actually useful purpose (yeah they look cool now, but its not like you NEED to illuminate anything).  It doesnt need to be totally black but allowing one to decrease the light by even 50% of what it is currently would go a long way.

I also agree with this.  Night in most games is basically dusk.  

BTW @TriggerAu, since you guys are looking at ambient lighting, how difficult would it be to add a sort of color tinting to it?  I know the stock skybox looks good with white ambient lighting, but i have a few really really cool looking ones i use that have alot of blue in em and being able to shift the ambient light to be slightly more blusih then the stock white would be super neat.  This isnt really critical or anything, but since the ambient light is already being looked at, if it was possible to separate color tints (either increase or decrease individual R G B intensity) would be really neat (this could be in the form of 3 cfg variables that allow editing individual color boosts/decreases).

5 hours ago, panzer1b said:

"for those of us that both want a challenge and care about looks" might be applying too big a sweeping statement there :)

I'll write these down for looking at for sure, see what I can get in with the time available

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.