How the *peep* do I stop that LY-10 landing gear from bouncing?

11 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Well, to this round-cone fuel tank that goes from 1.5m part to 0.625m part. The wheel is aligned to the ground.

It could be an issue. As well as what Alshain mentioned. Reason being. Even if you rotated the part right. There could still be a slight hight diffrence between the front and back that we are not seeing. It is one of the reasons why I try to make sure all my gears are attaching to similar sized parts that don't need me to rotate them to be level with the ground. Also one of the older weekly notes mention the runway has issues. And if you drive a rouver down on it. You will hopefully notice nice little cracks within them. Those are also not helping with take offs and landings. As they are likely the cause of collision detection issues. Here is an old screen shot of what I mean. And yes the rover was flipped because of that crack.

01872E5657E2E21941522419CB473398015A5627

10 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I wouldn't recommend messing with the dampening or springs.  In general you shouldn't touch those settings and it shouldn't be necessary to use them.

Respectively disagree with you on this one. If the suspension has too little dampening the whole plane will pogo stick around like crazy. Most of my planes are in the 5 to 8 tonne range and adjusting the spring/dampening solves alot of issues, like slewing left/right on take-offs and landing, the pogo stick issue. Even super-light planes (lightest I have is 1.8 tonnes) some minor adjustment is required for stability.

5 hours ago, GDJ said:

Respectively disagree with you on this one. If the suspension has too little dampening the whole plane will pogo stick around like crazy. Most of my planes are in the 5 to 8 tonne range and adjusting the spring/dampening solves alot of issues, like slewing left/right on take-offs and landing, the pogo stick issue. Even super-light planes (lightest I have is 1.8 tonnes) some minor adjustment is required for stability.

Then I would say your plane needs work on part placement.  If you want to use them, by all means.  However, they are confusing and have little, if any, documented reasoning and the problems you are having can likely be fixed in simpler ways.  I certainly don't recommend using them.  I even had a developer that worked on them tell me he didn't recommend using them during the Unity 5 beta, he said he lobbied to get them moved to the advanced tweakables button but for some reason the didn't.

I certainly wouldn't recommend them to less experienced players.

Edited by Alshain

Actually, I have heard about another guy who had an almost identical problem, and it turned out to be one of his "unrelated" mods that was causing the front wheel to act crazy. I don't think he ever mentioned which mod it was, unfortunately.

If you are willing to go to the work -- try shutting down all your mods. See if it still happens (assuming you can build a stock plane that still demonstrates the problem). (Or if you have a vanilla copy saved somewhere, try your demo plane out in that.)

Edited by bewing

7 hours ago, Alshain said:

Then I would say your plane needs work on part placement.  If you want to use them, by all means.  However, they are confusing and have little, if any, documented reasoning and the problems you are having can likely be fixed in simpler ways.  I certainly don't recommend using them.  I even had a developer that worked on them tell me he didn't recommend using them during the Unity 5 beta, he said he lobbied to get them moved to the advanced tweakables button but for some reason the didn't.

Show me what you do then.

15 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Thats what we have been discussing this whole thread, go read it.

I HAVE, but you stated that I may be placing items incorrectly. I want to SEE what you do.

Besides, It may help others SEE what you are talking about.

13 minutes ago, GDJ said:

I HAVE, but you stated that I may be placing items incorrectly. I want to SEE what you do.

Besides, It may help others SEE what you are talking about.

Well I don't have the ability to give you screensots at the moment.

On 12-3-2017 at 7:42 AM, Alshain said:

Then I would say your plane needs work on part placement.  If you want to use them, by all means.  However, they are confusing and have little, if any, documented reasoning and the problems you are having can likely be fixed in simpler ways.  I certainly don't recommend using them.  I even had a developer that worked on them tell me he didn't recommend using them during the Unity 5 beta, he said he lobbied to get them moved to the advanced tweakables button but for some reason the didn't.

Actually I do recommend them (spring/damper settings) to less experienced players. The results can be fantastic and solve many problems. It just takes time and some dedication to find the right settings.

I just solved the problem of a player with a Cessna like airplane, his landing gear exploded on physics load. I lowered the spring setting to 0.5 and voila, works fine now. This is not as strange as it sounds, in real something that bends does not break.

Same with automatic friction/traction control. They are terrible. The "AI" tries to interpret what the player wants, the player expects a certain result but gets a different one. Adjusting them to manual leads to much improved vehicle control or at least a lot more intuitive and predictable.

@aluc24, solved the problem yet? If not I'd like to take a look at your craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.