Drakenex

Eyes Turned Skywards - The Missions

27 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2017 at 4:56 PM, Drakenex said:

Yup, I once attended an interesting tech conference at ATK some years ago (constellation Ares I, yes I'm old), and among other things, they gave a lecture about how they shape solids internals and grain density to alter thrust curves.

Kerbalwise, you can either alter fuel amounts or regulate thrust, I'm sure@Jso knows a lot more.

Anyway, the Athena/Carrack performed amazingly well! 4 T to Geo (or Keo)

I love Athena, it's a fun easy to build rocket. The Kerbals are quite adept at manufacturing solid motors to various thrust requirements. On my Athenas I always drag down the thrust slider for the air launched Castor 120 stage. It doesn't look like your using them here, but the BDB Castor 120 and 30 will have a thrust curve resembling those in the catalog.

2 people like this

This is not dead, more missions coming soon!

I'm assembling hardware for Artermis lunar missions, and while building the Artemis/block V + Saturn stack, I've found that combination a little (well, more than a little) impractical, I know @e of pi gave us an excellent technical explanation but there are many things that doesn't feel right, like the complicated and heavy fairing, docking an already docked (CSM+Artemis) craft with the Pegasus US trough an adapter attached to the engines etc etc.

I know that's the canon way but may be I'll try with the a constellation model approach, launching the Pegasus + Artemis stack, then the Apollo CSM BV, dock them and then TLI.

oh! and sadly I'm not going to use the NOS altair ascent stage showed in the screenshots below, it was abandoned long ago, and though it kinda works using and attached airlock it haves convex colliders issues (256 faces error) so it lags the game to a crawl, I guess I'll replace it with either the Alcor or Bobcat's Altair AS (kudos to @BobCat wherever he is, your parts still works!) If some one knows a more cannon like replacement please let me know.

Edited by Drakenex