Eyes Turned Skywards - The Missions

Drakenex

On 3/20/2017 at 4:56 PM, Drakenex said:

Yup, I once attended an interesting tech conference at ATK some years ago (constellation Ares I, yes I'm old), and among other things, they gave a lecture about how they shape solids internals and grain density to alter thrust curves.

Kerbalwise, you can either alter fuel amounts or regulate thrust, I'm sure@Jso knows a lot more.

Anyway, the Athena/Carrack performed amazingly well! 4 T to Geo (or Keo)

I love Athena, it's a fun easy to build rocket. The Kerbals are quite adept at manufacturing solid motors to various thrust requirements. On my Athenas I always drag down the thrust slider for the air launched Castor 120 stage. It doesn't look like your using them here, but the BDB Castor 120 and 30 will have a thrust curve resembling those in the catalog.

• 3 months later...

This is not dead, more missions coming soon!

I'm assembling hardware for Artermis lunar missions, and while building the Artemis/block V + Saturn stack, I've found that combination a little (well, more than a little) impractical, I know @e of pi gave us an excellent technical explanation but there are many things that doesn't feel right, like the complicated and heavy fairing, docking an already docked (CSM+Artemis) craft with the Pegasus US trough an adapter attached to the engines etc etc.

I know that's the canon way but may be I'll try with the a constellation model approach, launching the Pegasus + Artemis stack, then the Apollo CSM BV, dock them and then TLI.

oh! and sadly I'm not going to use the NOS altair ascent stage showed in the screenshots below, it was abandoned long ago, and though it kinda works using and attached airlock it haves convex colliders issues (256 faces error) so it lags the game to a crawl, I guess I'll replace it with either the Alcor or Bobcat's Altair AS (kudos to @BobCat wherever he is, your parts still works!) If some one knows a more cannon like replacement please let me know.

Edited by Drakenex

I believe that we share the same opinions - having a capsule-based spacecraft (Not limited to an Apollo CSM) atop a fairing that goes beyond the diameter of the upper stage, and then goes back to the same diameter does look... odd, to say the least. In fact, I have a LEGO version of the Artemis stack (Because I have the Saturn V model, I also have other scale rocket models, TKS, Salyut, etc.) that also has such a strange faring, and I absolutely hate it.

• 4 months later...

Big thanks!!

I get them with Kronal Vessel Viewer and compose them with Photoshop.

I'm preparing an Artemis moon mission series, but scaling things ended being so much difficult! Anyway I'm getting there. In the while I may send some eurovisit to Freedom:

sbhDsDe.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the look of the Landers.  Plus, they are very much based on designs discussed during the Apollo mission's, when it was thought that at least a couple of Saturn Vs would be built & launched per year throughout the 1970's.  Using the descent stage design that was actually used during the landings, there were various ideas for replacing the ascent stage that we've all seen, with other versions - eg longer duration living quarters, a science lab, large rover or a cargo version.  As none of these configurations were meant to leave the Moon's surface, the weight of the ascent engine and fuel would have been replaced by other supplies.  A double launch would have taken the CSM+LEM on one rocket (which would have operated just as it did on the actual lunar missions) with a second carrying one or more of the other variants. (With no command module required on the second launch vehicle, it was thought 2 additional Landers could be sent and automatically landed at a suitable site, chosen by the astronauts)

Keep up the good work!

Additional: the only one of the many planned versions to actually get built (well, sort of) was the Apollo Telescope Mount which was used on Skylab. 

Edited by Clipperride

2 hours ago, Clipperride said:

I love the look of the Landers.  Plus, they are very much based on designs discussed during the Apollo mission's, when it was thought that at least a couple of Saturn Vs would be built & launched per year throughout the 1970's.  Using the descent stage design that was actually used during the landings, there were various ideas for replacing the ascent stage that we've all seen, with other versions - eg longer duration living quarters, a science lab, large rover or a cargo version.  As none of these configurations were meant to leave the Moon's surface, the weight of the ascent engine and fuel would have been replaced by other supplies.  A double launch would have taken the CSM+LEM on one rocket (which would have operated just as it did on the actual lunar missions) with a second carrying one or more of the other variants. (With no command module required on the second launch vehicle, it was thought 2 additional Landers could be sent and automatically landed at a suitable site, chosen by the astronauts)

Keep up the good work!

Additional: the only one of the many planned versions to actually get built (well, sort of) was the Apollo Telescope Mount which was used on Skylab. 

Clipper, you should look at Bluedog Design Bureau. We're adding the various LEM variants some time in the near future. Also, you should read Eyes Turned Skywards! They keep flying Apollos and Saturns up until the 90s / early 2000s which is what these Artemis landers are for.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Clipper, you should look at Bluedog Design Bureau. We're adding the various LEM variants some time in the near future. Also, you should read Eyes Turned Skywards! They keep flying Apollos and Saturns up until the 90s / early 2000s which is what these Artemis landers are for.

Sounds interesting!  Have you read the Lunar Exploration Scrapbook ?  It's got some good illustrations of the various proposed variants.  

Once again, keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/1/2017 at 8:13 PM, Drakenex said:

Big thanks!!

I get them with Kronal Vessel Viewer and compose them with Photoshop.

I'm preparing an Artemis moon mission series, but scaling things ended being so much difficult! Anyway I'm getting there. In the while I may send some eurovisit to Freedom:

I know I'm a bit late on this but... Is that Minotaur custom made or from a mod?

Edited by notJebKerman

4 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

I know I'm a bit late on this but... Is that Minotaur custom made or from a mod?

Not late at all! Custom made, err modded I mean, PM if you want more info.

pLhUNxz.png

rUqlrUO.png

Edited by Drakenex

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.