The ''Butterflies and Hurricanes" challenge

After the squad introduced to us 1.2 with its new communication and relay system, we discovered many new possibilities. It was interesting to revive old probes, connecting kerbals that are separated billions of kilometers from each other and making every meter on any planet, a place, with great connection.

K8umkQy.png

I present you the “Butterflies and Hurricanes” challenge!

Despite that you might think that it is an easy and boring challenge, you may face a lot difficult challenges like lack of fuel and money.

I will start from rules because they will affect the whole challenge.

1.You have only 90 500 funds and If you will spend more, you basically fail the challenge (reusable rockets are allowed)

2.Using mechjeb and other calculative mods is allowed, though no cheat mod can be used in this challenge (f12 counts as a cheat). And if mod adds some kind of infinite propulsion it is also considered cheating.

3. If you made the whole challenge with some money left it means you are a cheater it means that you have completed the challenge.

Back to the challenge itself.

n7sEKvy.png

You have to put 6 satellites in 170 000 m orbit (a bit lower or higher also counts). Into orbits with different inclination of 30,-30,0,50,-50 and 90. They need to have the RA-2 antenna

The final step is to put 2 satellites into a very high orbit of 7 000 000 m orbit (higher or lower also counts) You have to design these 2 satellites to have powerful antennae like RA-15.

After you've set up all the satellites you have to perform a first task of your relay system- you need mark all anomalies and space centres (like baikenbanour and etc.) 

You will end up with a relay covering the whole kerbin surface.

In case that you've already made a relay around kerbin try to do so with other planets/moons

8SacZZb.png

Here is a flag for your relay missions! (this is also an award if you have completed the challenge)

ooLvLY0.png

Edited by cratercracker

I forgot about this:

4 hours ago, cratercracker said:

After you've set up all the satellites you have to perform a first task of your relay system- you need mark all anomalies and space centres (like baikenbanour and etc.) 

What do I have to do for this? I've not used KerbNet much and don't know how anomalies and such get marked.  

Just now, Foxster said:

I forgot about this:

What do I have to do for this? I've not used KerbNet much and don't know how anomalies and such get marked.  

Click the probe core-Look,look closer,JUST LOOK CLOSER, -you will see kerbnet access -click on it and timewarp untill find any anomaly(a small question mark) to set a waypoint click on the anomaly-set waypoint.

11 hours ago, GRLevel15 said:

Do I have to follow money limits? I can if I have to, but I'd be in sandbox and it can be a pain tracking money.

Yes, limits are a part of the challenge and it is not so much of a pain, you can view how money you've spent on a vessel and you don't need to build crazy megarockets that will cost more than in the challenge's rules, try to use different design or even make a reusable SSTO so, you will reduce the cost.

16 hours ago, GRLevel15 said:

Do I have to follow money limits? I can if I have to, but I'd be in sandbox and it can be a pain tracking money.

just use cheat menu in career, upgrade facilities and everything in techtree after that just add money with buttons

Edited by Numerlor

So I have developed a single stage to parking orbit solid fuel rocket that can launch each of the smaller satellites up to an apoapsis of 170km, at which point their LFO booster can circularise....

Just curiously, does the funds budget include sat cost or since it is considered a "payload" is it separate? Just calculating remaining budget.

I'm quite good with reusable rockets so thinking of using this method to launch the last to and recoup cost of the booster to make budget...

I was inspired to attempt this challenge since in my spare time I was testing if cheaper to launch one payload on a smaller rocket or many payloads on a single larger rocket.... This idea got out of hand very quickly though...

eTglogs.png

This launcher is built off the mammoth and could launch all 32 + 1 sats to 125km orbit (Where they can maneuver to where they are needed) and return to KSP with <200 units of fuel left... used Kerbal Reusability Expansion and the frame for the sats was from the K&K Planetary bases)

Edited by Avo4Dayz
additional info

So! I think we need a leaderboard for this challenge....

I have two proposed mission plans to show everyone. I haven't filmed flight yet, however have tested my craft and proven a method that can lift it all for under 70,000 funds.

My first thought was as per the last post of lifting everything in one rocket, but this is unfeasible due to soo many different inclinations of orbit.
Then I planned for two vessels, one to lift each little sat and a separate one to lift the two larger sats together.. This achieved the goal, however I eventually found my best solution came from a fully disposable plan as per the description in the images.

Will the OP accept me proving my flights by just lifting one large sat and one small sat to show that the rocket designs work? Instead of 6 (+2 for the RA15s) separate launchers filmed that all look roughly the same in profile given same orbital heights?
http://imgur.com/gallery/A7m7t

I tested Butterfly 2 out and the running cost is 25k after recovery (recovered 50k funds after doing my best ever rocket return landing to date)

UKL4SmK.png

Edited by Avo4Dayz
Update of info

So my final submission for this thread. After testing the above reusable lifter for the two larger satellites with intentions to combine it with lifting the small satellites on disposable launchers I made a discovery, the cost of the reusable lifter wasn't as good as disposable solid rockets for this challenge. This surprised me.

I later developed a way to launch all satellites into space using the kickback solid rocket and finalised the climb/orbit circularisation using their own fuel tanks.

I could do this with no reaction wheel if so chosen but in the video you'll see I had one installed on the smaller satellite as was too painful to manoeuvre without it. I only uploaded the launch for one of each sized satellite as seemed all that was necessary to prove flight.

https://youtu.be/5GD6IvPzekM 

I then realised (after making and starting video upload) there was a cheaper probe core that could do the job. Coincidentally it also had a reaction wheel built it. On my smaller satellite it cut costs by 1500-1600, it did also gain an insignificant amount of mass (10kg).

I also tested using the thumper for the RA-2 satellites (required adding a second fuel tank) although cheaper than a kickback this cut the price on the smaller satellites a further  260ish per launch. But oddly required fins to keep it stable
My new rockets vs old
http://imgur.com/a/jRz0B

On my larger satellites it cut costs close to 1600 again (probe core 450 vs 2250)

Original mission plan using Butterfly 1 for small sats and reusable Butterfly 2 for larger resulted in approx 92000 funds after recovery cost reduction of Butterfly 2
Plan 2 costs 72,572 to launch to desired orbits with disposable solid boosters
Plan 2 with cheaper probe core and using thumpers instead of kickbacks costs 57,724 funds to desired individual orbits on disposable solid rockets.

Note that in all the ships the greatest cost was the satellite at 3700 (RA-2) and 5,200 (RA-15) on it's own

Edited by Avo4Dayz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.