The NSC adapter fuel capacity

The NSC's liquid fuel capacity  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NSC adapter hold more fuel?

• Yes, it should receive more fuel to fit in with its size.
    • No, it looks about right and is fine how it is.

The NCS adapter is one of my favourite parts for its look and functionality especially used with nuclear engines. But one thing bothers me. It's identical in length to the mk1 liquid fuel tank and carries no oxidiser, but has a FIFTH of the fuel. (80 compared to 400) I'm not a mathmetican but eyeballing it it looks like the curve would ant most only reduce about half of the volume, probably less. (Pics)

NCS_Adapter.png

Mk1_Liquid_Fuel_Fuselage.png

Unless the developers meant for it to have oxidiser and just forgot to add it in the cnfg files (unless it's a balancing thing) I think the NCS adapter should have more liquid fuel in proportion to its size. I know this is fairly simple to do in cnfg files but I like to keep things as stock as possible, and this doesn't seem right. Devs, if this poll if overwhelmingly yes, please consider changing the NSC's fuel capacity.

Agreed. In fact, a thorough rebalancing/recalculating of all fuel-holding parts according to their actual volumes has been in order for a long time now; the NCS adapter is just a particularly glaring case.

I seem to remember that the different fuel-switching mods out there include stock tank volume recalculations as part of their functionality, iterated quite a bit by modders and community to get the numbers right. I think the different calculations even go as far as recalibrating the dry mass of the parts so the ratio is kept as stock as possible. So the prep work has already been done for the most part, Squad could just plug those numbers into the existing cfgs whenever they decide to do this.

And then we all get to redesign all our existing craft... (small price to pay, in my opinion)

Agreed. As to the amount...

Volume of cylinder = π * r * r * h

Volume of cone = π * r * r * h / 3

Same formula except divided by 3. So if this part was a cone, it should have 33% the capacity of the cylindrical tank. Since it bulges outwards and doesn't come to a point, round up to maybe 40% = 160 LF?

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Um... yes? I don't know numbers. :sticktongue: I might make a simple mod for this now I know exact numbers, (thanks) I know it's a bit basic changing one number but should be an interesting challenge as I've never tried anything beyond quick save teleporting and would be nice to be able to swap back and forth.

Just now, MiffedStarfish said:

Um... yes? I don't know numbers. :sticktongue: I might make a simple mod for this now I know exact numbers, (thanks) I know it's a bit basic changing one number but should be an interesting challenge as I've never tried anything beyond quick save teleporting and would be nice to be able to swap back and forth.

I tried to make a new part for this, but I think the fuel amount override did not work. Shared below in case you want a starting point.

+PART[noseConeAdapter]
{
	@name = noseConeAdapterFullFuel
	@rescaleFactor = 1
	@TechRequired = aerodynamicSystems
	@entryCost = 15000
	@cost = 800
	@title = Fully Fueled NCS Adapter
	@mass = 0.4
	@node_stack_top[6] = 2
	@node_stack_bottom01[6] = 2
	@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		@amount = 160
		@maxAmount = 160
	}
}

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

I tried to make a new part for this, but I think the fuel amount override did not work. Shared below in case you want a starting point.

+PART[noseConeAdapter]
{
	@name = noseConeAdapterFullFuel
	@rescaleFactor = 1
	@TechRequired = aerodynamicSystems
	@entryCost = 15000
	@cost = 800
	@title = Fully Fueled NCS Adapter
	@mass = 0.4
	@node_stack_top[6] = 2
	@node_stack_bottom01[6] = 2
	@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		@amount = 160
		@maxAmount = 160
	}
}

Hmm... i have an old vtol which I built 3 years and several uptdates ago when mk1 fuel tanks had only 150 fuel which I wanted to uptdate to 400, and since nearly everything attached radially and it's around 130 parts I tried cnfg editing the specific part in the craft file which sort of worked, the actual fuel amount worked but I somehow broke the cockpit and corrupted the craft file of my favourite craft. (and that's why you back up, kids!) Anyway, after that barely relevant story when you say make did physically make a new folder/part or copy, rename and change the numbers? 

3 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Hmm... i have an old vtol which I built 3 years and several uptdates ago when mk1 fuel tanks had only 150 fuel which I wanted to uptdate to 400, and since nearly everything attached radially and it's around 130 parts I tried cnfg editing the specific part in the craft file which sort of worked, the actual fuel amount worked but I somehow broke the cockpit and corrupted the craft file of my favourite craft. (and that's why you back up, kids!) Anyway, after that barely relevant story when you say make did physically make a new folder/part or copy, rename and change the numbers? 

Oh, that's a ModuleManager script. It's meant to be put into a new .cfg file in your GameData folder, and if it works, there'll be a new part in the parts list called "Fully Fueled NCS Adapter" that looks the same as the stock part but has more fuel.

On a DMP server I had module manager which I ended up uninstalling because it kept showing some message in bright orange on my screen and eventually corrupted my GUI text, but what do you mean is module manager script, the vtol cnfg or your original script? 

edit: I'm stupid.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

12 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

On a DMP server I had module manager which I ended up uninstalling because it kept showing some message in bright orange on my screen and eventually corrupted my GUI text, but what do you mean is module manager script, the vtol cnfg or your original script?

Oh, I meant the thing I posted. It sounds like your thing was just editing the craft file or save file, no?

10 hours ago, klesh said:

I learned in this thread that I need to know more about Module Manager.  :0.0:   I see people posting little configs here and there, but I never realized what the results could be.

Yes, learning to make your own personal Module Manager patches to tweak bits of the game is extremely satisfying. :)

On 3/12/2017 at 6:32 PM, HebaruSan said:

Agreed. As to the amount...

Same formula except divided by 3. So if this part was a cone, it should have 33% the capacity of the cylindrical tank. Since it bulges outwards and doesn't come to a point, round up to maybe 40% = 160 LF?

The formula to use is the volume of a truncated cone, treating it as a cone with lower radius 1.25m and upper radius 0.625m, it should have ~58% the volume of a Mk1 fuselage, 240 units would be 60%, which would be in keeping with the shape which bulges outwards and so would be bigger than a true truncated cone. 160 or 200 units is less than generous but reasonable if an "adapter penalty" is desired.

Edited by blakemw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.