KSP Forums Cities: Skylines Collab. Open to all.

cantab

Police Plz.

Anyway, Save Uploaded: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889250600

I basically tore my town up and redid it, only to find I did pretty much the same as before, go figure. Also the wider city is going through a population decline, not sure why. But at least we have plenty of jobs again because I've been putting tons of shops and offices. And I tried to fix Stranded's traffic, with limited success.

I'm now declaring this open to new joiners.

Please remember to go to Content Manager > Styles and enable the European/Vanilla option. Somebody had forgotten that before, resulting in skyscrapers where there should have been Euro buildings. Go check my Bonnemotte, there should be Euro buildings there again, if you see all empty roads and then skyscrapers start growing then you forgot to enable the style!

Also don't forget the New DLC, although it should install automatically.

Yeah, that's a common problem. You can have the best interchange in the world but if all the traffic exiting just heads into one set of lights it's going to back up. More than one access point is usually the solution, to spread the traffic around. After the rebuild I was getting intermittent tailbacks at my roundabout myself, fortunately that's a loooong way from the interstate.

1 hour ago, cantab said:

Police Plz.

Please remember to go to Content Manager > Styles and enable the European/Vanilla option. Somebody had forgotten that before, resulting in skyscrapers where there should have been Euro buildings. Go check my Bonnemotte, there should be Euro buildings there again, if you see all empty roads and then skyscrapers start growing then you forgot to enable the style!

Also don't forget the New DLC, although it should install automatically.

speaking of theme at some point i reenabled but they not re-poped

i ll grab the save and take a look at the traffic, and yup stranded your entrance north of the map need more fluidity ^^ mostly the small section segment both side, roundabout one way should help without tricolor stop refer to the wiki and how road create don't create trocolor stop when you mix them wiki/.../...#road&traffic

edit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889288795

moslty removed my stock woodpile ^^ & added lot of industrial far from highway, i may had forget to feed them with water tho'

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

10 minutes ago, ThaZeus said:

It's a little unclear in the rules unlock all and infinite money enabled or disabled?

Enable both. Cantab said they might not be needed after the initial map creation, but I got a bankruptcy message when I loaded with them disabled.

Indeed, while technically infinite money might not be needed, good blooming luck doing anything without it! As I understand it even with infinite money enabled the game still tracks the city treasury behind-the-scenes.

Spent who knows how long replacing my congested highway ramps with separate entrances and exits for commercial and industrial, as well as separating the zones and re-planning their layouts to improve their organization and throughput, and finally ended up with ... congested highway ramps. :/ Local shipments from factories to shops are getting onto the highway at the industrial exit, then re-entering immediately at the industrial entrance before taking the massively overloaded inter-zone shortcut to commercial. And of course that's how everyone else gets to the commercial zone as well, instead of using the entrance that goes directly to it (at least until their trucks time out and disappear). I give up on fighting the traffic logic.

FE97066E6A26BB5D480AAFFC8585FF14CBC7CB37

At least we're back up in population and budget. Just before I quit I realized that might have to do with the day/night cycle, which I disabled in my last session so I could see what I was doing in my big earthworks projects. I'll try to remember to re-enable it next time.

Also up is our demand for C & I, for those of you with abandoned factories or plans for new malls.

Save: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889844986

i grab the save

new save:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889924496

- enlarged the main electrical network feeding
- modified the metro between rkarmak and andy city so it feed the fresh new free panda zoo (don't forget to download it before grabbing the save)
- added some zenitude top of little town ^^ + some fun stuff with pedestrian path because ^^
- expanded the industrial zone backward
- modified my bus lines so it feed better the backward industrial zone, wich noticeably impacted congestion near the highway entrance
- added a train station for the industrial zone and connected it to the main intercity current line
- added some road connection rkarmark could use (andy feel free to use the bridges btw, whenever ^^)

noticeably it's also cool my citizen are pretty well educated while i only have elementary school ^^ [insert south park meme, they stole our children xDr]

if someone specialize into forestry also that could be interesting (i can also expand a little the farming depending the import export and all, not really monitered them as for now)

Spoiler

0hXOzxE.jpg

rWMePz1.jpg

B8P4twO.jpg

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

16 minutes ago, cantab said:

And district styles. Please stop breaking them. Content Manager, switch them on. If it happens again, I have Natural Disasters and I'm not afraid to use it...

We could probably determine whose game has the problem by checking each upload. I still saw Euro-style stuff on my turn.

Save uploaded: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890508408

Completed the road layout and zoning for Old Bonnemotte - the bit within the city walls. Twisting streets and back alleys and a higgledy-piggledy mix of zoning, exactly how it should be :) Still find that despite my best efforts some of the alleys are roller-coaster terrain, I'll just have to try and pretend they're not there. I tweaked a highway interchange too, and added in an Arbor-Bonmotte shuttle buses. For buses the simple two-way shuttle routes seem to handle demand better than one big line through all the towns. Next time I play I can start seriously expanding outside them, and try and finally bring in the railway. Won't be easy but I think I've spotted the gentlest slopes on the hill I can thread the rails round.

4 hours ago, cantab said:

I have the save :)

And district styles. Please stop breaking them. Content Manager, switch them on. If it happens again, I have Natural Disasters and I'm not afraid to use it...

hum might not be only this, on save load screen there's a scrolling menu with theme, it might require to be reapplied there as well if removed (or if someone has it uncheked in the option, it migth reapply the default building style within the save, not sure gonna check that next time)

@cantab very cool work with using tiles depht ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

I thought it might be interesting to talk about a traffic problem I had and how I fixed it. Take-home messages in italics.

For a traffic discussion

The red was originally 2-lane and looked a bit congested, so I upgraded it to 6 lane narrowing to 4 lane in the hope this would improve things.

Lol nope. Promptly got tailbacks stretching round the roundabout and down the highway. Perhaps not *that* bad, but not what I wanted!

I tinkered with the blue junctions a bit, making them one-way leaving which removes traffic lights, or outright removing them, but to limited effect.

With the help of the traffic overlay I deduced the real problem was the green junction. Notice how the three roads meet in a Y rather than a T. Since one is a 4-lane traffic lights are added, and that Y shape means that each approaching road must take it in turn, whereas with a T junction the straight-through part of the T gets green both ways at once. The Y junction gives less percentage green time and thus less capacity. Signal controlled junctions should be T's or crossroads, not at funny angles.

I also noticed pedestrians getting in the way of traffic a lot. Try not to have major pedestrian traffic and major motor traffic flows crossing. Using footbridges or underpasses can be a big help. In this case there's not so much I can do for the pedestrians, so I've got to reduce the motor traffic.

I considered re-profiling the green junction so it would be a T, but instead opted to make the 2-lane roads one-ways as shown. This did two things. Most importantly, it removed the lights because ... well that's how the game does things. It's to do with how many lanes come in and go out and stuff. Also it eliminates the conflict of right-turning traffic.

Those one ways also required me to remove the anticlockwise bus service on the road around the motte, leaving only the clockwise service. That reduces the amount of traffic through the green junction. Buses can be a significant part of your traffic, so think about their routing.

At the same time, I added in the magenta road. That, along with a lot of the other roads in that area, hadn't been there before. Adding it provided another route for some traffic, further reducing the load on the problem junction. In particular it let me reroute the shuttle buses so they come off the north exit, follow that magenta road, stop round the central parks, then go through the green junction and out of the city. It means each route only goes through that green junction once not twice like before. Besides the buses, it's good for general traffic. Multiple routes to spread out traffic is often better than one bottleneck.

Last I checked, these measures together had solved the traffic problems. It's still busy, but there didn't seem to be any permanent tailbacks. That said I'm sure I'll have bigger problems in future. The roundabout is a minor worry and the West Gate, where there's not room for more than a simple intersection, might become a bigger one. Bonnemotte is by design not really car-friendly, and the terrain probably won't be subway-friendly either.

On a lighter note, have a couple of views from Le Bon Motte.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890535344

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890535365

6 line bring tricolor stop whatever (but exiting one way) , and  unlike 2 line pedestrian need a cross road to change side, while 2 way they can cross anywhere, the main interest of 6 line is for long segment, and industry feeding without cargo train

if you have some traffic issue adding tricolor stop rarely make it better, so it's much more efficient to use stop interesection

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Roads#Intersections_.26_Traffic this does a lot for traffic in combination with pedestrian especially in combination with one way roundabout without tricolor stop

also with big city, most of the traffic is related to industry => highway // high way <= industry // industry => commerce // highway => commerce
residential traffic is close to neglectable with long enough segment and max zone density

a good guide on steam about traffic basics also: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=522776740&searchtext=traffic

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410236188&searchtext=traffic this one also for more advanced and random kind of road network and combination with transport

speaking of bus keep in mind the amount of bus is for now linked to both line lenght and amount of stop (this will change with the incoming free update where you're gonna be able to customize transport line) so playin' with the amount of stop depending the lenght have an impact as well

& pedestian path impact a lot if you use them wisely according to the various feeding and how pedestrian cross road

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

My F12 key stopped working, so I only have my main save-screenshot to share. But I also solved traffic problems!

1. Criss-crossed those troublesome highway ramps so you simply can't get from here to there
  2. Eliminate all the traffic lights downstream from the busy entrance ramp, by only having one-way roads emanating out of the main road, then allowing two-way roads one intersection further out
  3. Raised pedestrian walkways to keep the cars moving more smoothly, as @cantab said

9B4AA4DECB792AE2EA22A68968BC97354FE8A5F3

Save:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890565484

I grab the save, also i guess to restore the eu style a mod is required, as i don't have any installed seem i can't , and the EU style is checked in my option ; )

also i m gonna tend to the support the fact this financial stadium city need a google meta spad scaled natural disaster, for persisting in griefing like if not ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

New save:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890781277

- so as said in pm, recovered the temple @cantab (it's been un-ploped because not everyone installed the new free dlc)

the special building i use: taxe office, temple, panda zoo

- did a lot of road stuff, and train stuff 
- replaced some low density residential per high density

- expended the industrial zone backward (adjusted the cargo train congestion doing a funny road network)
- brought the train to andy other side of the hill so he can eventually do a loop with the bridge

this is where in the district menu you can change the building style using a scroll menu
6202NtS.jpg

Spoiler

XRtMdb3.jpg
cSVuD0R.jpg
7bbBNCZ.jpg

VRkqn1w.jpg

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
-

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.