KSP Forums Cities: Skylines Collab. Open to all.

cantab

StupidAndy decided to kerbal instead and msg'd me that he'd CS tomorrow, so I'll grab the save again. I may not do much besides look around and let time run, I dunno yet

Edit: I brought it up to year 2052, 114k population. Tinkered with my traffic a tiny bit, built schools in some other districts because we were falling behind. I meant to build a completely separate passenger rail loop to connect everywhere, but never got around to it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892314794

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Nice one! I had wondered if we were stuck around 70k a bit but this weekend everyone's blown past that! The project's looking awesome now. Stranded's Thrintunville is accounting for almost half the population alone and looks set to be the first to need to expand your borders, Winkall's been doing some lovely work on the mountain, we've got klesh's long beach just coming up, I can't wait to see how Hebaru's Cities of Catan turns out, and everywhere seems to be humming along smoothly.

Separating the internal passenger rail might be an idea, at the moment I'm seeing some problematic rail congestion. It will probably take some co-ordination to join it all up though. I trust Stranded to lead us on that. In any case the wye in Arbor Gardens wants enlarging, at the moment it's small enough that three freight trains can gridlock it.

52 minutes ago, cantab said:

I had wondered if we were stuck around 70k a bit

Yeah, well, I finished zoning out by residential area, so that gave room for the pop to explode. I got caught up in RL car shopping with the clock still running so things developed nicely. Road traffic didn't look too bad, I have several areas of heavy traffic in my city (too be expected with all that pop) but the only congested area was around my freight station loop.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, cantab said:

In any case the wye in Arbor Gardens wants enlarging, at the moment it's small enough that three freight trains can gridlock it.

Oh wow, we've unlocked the Train Congestion mini-game already? I tried fixing that intersection in a throw-away copy of the save, and our income briefly went over $77k. 77k? Whatever it is.

5lf9i3h.jpg

Edited by HebaruSan

- adjusted building density here and there and some minor roads and paths stuff (slighty lowering highway entrance congestion)
- expanded a little the farming area according to import
- added a little wood area on a side, because why not

(speaking of train each stationspawn train that's why, also it's recommanded for interesection segment that they can host a full lenght train, shorter it can eventually stuck the train network)

new save: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892393271

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

OK, I enlarged that triangle, but I also wanted to future-proof a bit. People on the interwebz said to split passenger and cargo traffic, so I did that for my town and the neutral zone. The tracks now split just inside the map border, and my stations only connect to one or the other branch of that split according to train type.

My immediate train-neighbors, being the towns of City of the squares and Thrintunville, will now find two train lines leading to your border, one for passengers and one for cargo. They merge shortly before entering your town, so if you don't want to make changes, you don't have to, and everything will work about the same as it did before. However, if you are interested in splitting passenger and cargo trains, I think it will help to reduce train congestion as the city grows. To distinguish the routes visually, I decided that cargo would go under the roads or other tracks via tunnels, while passengers go over the roads so they can look out the window at the landscape.

Save:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892430538

Ive got the save.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892718107

took the liberty of adding the Statue of Liberty in a place it made sense.  There was a lump of land in the harbor just off the City of Squares, so I raised the land till it surfaced and made a little bridge out to it.  I gave it it's own Express bus line, which visits the City of Squares and Bamboo shores before returning to the Statue with tourists. Seems to be working well.  If you think it's ugly or whatever, feel free to remove it.  

The Walrus cities need to add some rail support when they get a chance.  I left a rail line up to the city edge from the east.  I connected the line leaving the Elizabeth district northbound with the Bamboo Shores/Long Beach tunnel and its shipping goods now. It circumvents the Walrus Cities, but leaves dead lines to extend to them.  My rail network separates commuter and cargo no problem and I'm seeing plenty of traffic of both.  I'm also seeing your goods arriving from across the map for shipping and importing.  I check the destinations and all seems to be flowing well, shipping wise.  My streets are busy, but no traffic flow issues at all.

I noticed with the increased education, a few of my factories shut down due to too many overeducated workers.  I had a highschool and elementary placed at Long Beach, which is cool (i moved them and made a proper little area), but I wonder how I can avoid the workers issue.  Someone want to investigate?  No universities nearby, but plenty of transit for them.

I dropped the bus budget down to 80%.  I think we have fully fleshed out transit options for every character, and some are being under utilized.  I watched West Long Beach's bus stop (which serves a rail line, a metro line, and a passenger harbor) and I observed bus after bus arriving seconds after one another, all without passengers.  Perhaps adjusting the day/night availability of certain transit options would help.  I think we're paying for oodles of transport we dont need yet.  Its great infrastructure though.

Edited by klesh

3 hours ago, klesh said:

took the liberty of adding the Statue of Liberty in a place it made sense.  There was a lump of land in the harbor just off the City of Squares, so I raised the land till it surfaced and made a little bridge out to it.  I gave it it's own Express bus line, which visits the City of Squares and Bamboo shores before returning to the Statue with tourists. Seems to be working well.  If you think it's ugly or whatever, feel free to remove it.  

I'm afraid that's DLC; it morphs into a Statue of Negative Liberty on my turn. Do you happen to know which one it's from? I added them all to my Steam wish list, but there haven't been any sales yet.

88E7D432DC428E01DBCD64D6548DBB39C72878B3

Statue of Liberty is from the Deluxe Pack. So yes, as Hebaru has shown it is liable to up and vanish when the next person takes the save. Not that it hugely matters unless you end up really relying on the happiness boost.

Yes, It would appear the Deluxe pack is to blame.  I shoulda ticked it off, but I thought it was only the dumb soundtrack.  Whoops!

After reloading my own save, I noticed the game recognized the island as proper coastline and let me build a quay around it.  When I initially raised the land, it wouldn't see coastline so I couldn't build a quay.

WPzNZpg.jpg

Edited by klesh

Yes, I've noticed that before, if you do terraforming with time stopped it won't recognise the new coastline until time has run for a little bit. Also if you reclaim land with time stopped, as soon as you resume time the water will jump up and then flow out as in effect a small tsunami, so be careful if doing that near the cities!

1 minute ago, cantab said:

Also if you reclaim land with time stopped, as soon as you resume time the water will jump up and then flow out as in effect a small tsunami, so be careful if doing that near the cities!

I did that too.  I haven't played in awhile, lol.  Fortunately it didn't destroy anything.  Bamboo Shores' seawall was high enough, as was mine.  A little road flooding for the empty outskirts of City of Squares, but no damage.  I ran the time through the event till it calmed down.

I disabled all my mods that added or changed any parts (Traffic ++ and such). I don't think Extended Building Information will cause any problems but I wanted to double check. So is Extended Building Information safe to use?

Edit: Also, Expect me to friend you guys on Steam.

Edited by ThaZeus

Also if you reclaim land with time stopped, as soon as you resume time the water will jump up and then flow out as in effect a small tsunami, so be careful if doing that near the cities!

Or wait until your downstream neighbors have had a chance to rebuild their coastal settlements before uploading the save (I say, nervously eyeing the huge walls of water held back by my two dams).

I also noticed when I placed the statue all the trees around it were wilted as if they were in a pollution zone.  I placed a few more, check there was no pollution nearby and shrugged my shoulders.  That changed upon reload too.  

I'll untick Deluxe Pack from here on in, and we can delete that island.  I'll do it next time I play if it hasnt been done yet.  Arc de Triophe and Eiffel Tower are pretty too. :(

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

What about replacing it with the Cathedral of Plenitude? I think that's a similar size and shape.

I'll give it a look.  The whole idea of having a random island out in the harbor was for the SoL, so I don't know if a cathedral makes sense. Besides, I kinda built it off someone else's coast (where at least it made sense... a cathedral could be anywhere.  Prison island would be cool, but I think thats DLC too.

I grab the save: doing some minor vehicules networks stuff adjustement

See the screens for comments (n°6 show a pedestrian crossroad simple trick)

- modified the color the main train line that have a stop in all city to pink (to make it better seable from the default orange color of regional trains)
- not modified, stranded inner city train network, so actually it use a single main track.

new save: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893065970

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

I've got the save!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893302327

I renamed all my metro, rail, and docks areas, so hopefully you'll be able to tell when your people and goods are headed to Long Beach.  I put in a few more residential areas, including some high-density. I find the high density combined with highrise ban makes for a decent look for the size of what my city should be.  I'm noticing improvements at the docks.  Lots more coming and going.  I check the shipments to see their origin etc.  I removed the statue of liberty island, and there was no tsunami damage.

8R0teDM.jpg

Edited by klesh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.